Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 01:11 AM   #1

2005 CC Affinity 770/45 hydronic heat

I am new to this coach and it is my first to have hydronic heat. Struggling with the operation of it for heat. I got the hot water figured out. Need to know how to use it and the thermostat. ???? Help!
Piros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #2

Pretty big question. Give us some additional information. My experience has been that my hydro-hot is a very complicated machine that works on a very simple principle. Pumps hot water around to a couple small heat ex-changers with fans. Should be able to start trouble shooting.

My 2004 has heat pumps on the air conditioners (not related to the hydro-hot) and a furnace setting on the thermostat that is the hydro-hot.

On my coach I have 3 zones for the heat pumps and only 2 zones for the furnace.

Do you see the zones on your thermostat? Is it a lack of heat or a lack of fan?

Can you confirm the diesel burner is working and you're not just getting hot water form the supplemental electric element?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #3

I have two thermostats, one that runs the AC, electric heat, and gas heat with 3 zones for AC and 2 for heat. The second thermostat runs the hydronic heating system and it is what is giving me some difficulty figuring out. The burner comes on when you turn the hot water on so it does work. The dealer I purchased it from kind of went over it quickly but did not share much info on the heating system. I have not had time to read the manual and it may be simpler than it looks.
I have a second question that you may or may not have addressed. Have you changed out your bedroom TV? Trying figure the best way to access the mounting screws. Mine looks as if the coach interior was built around the TV.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #4

Looks like my hydronic heat is controlled differently than yours. I found lots of information on the internet about my controls. Don't hesitate to call Aqua-Hot directly. 2004 to 2005 was a noticeable difference in construction and equipment.

As far as the TV, I did upgrade my bedroom TV it had a giant access panel deep in the corner of the rear closet. Nicely hidden and screwed in with tiny screws. Not sure what floor plan you have of the location of your TV.

Sorry I couldn't be quick help on the heat.

Good luck with the new coach...
Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the effort. I will look in the cabinets and rear closet for the TV mount. I can usually figure most things out and I am generally pretty handy but for reason I have been stumped on things lately. Probably just need to get more than a few hours a day rest so my brain can function. I do appreciate your input.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #6

my 05 Affinity has 3 screws accessable over the TV...that's all that holds it to the wood frame that is attached to the back of the TV.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenone View Post
my 05 Affinity has 3 screws accessable over the TV...that's all that holds it to the wood frame that is attached to the back of the TV.
Thanks for the response. Mine is mounted different from what I can see. The front room TV was about to fall out of the ceiling or it seemed like it could. It was setting on a metal base and was clamped in above all to the wood structure. Probably would not have fell out but it did do some minor damage to the cabinet that I was able to repair. I have figured out how to access the back of the TV and was able to remove the old TV and tie my new TV supports to the coach structure once I had the old TV removed and I am all good there. The rear I have not had time to do yet but it appears to be attached to two vertical boards in the back of the TV. They appear to be accessible by removing the shades on the top and the back of the TV cabinet. Will see Ina few weeks after my next trip. I replaced all of my audio and video equipment in the front of the coach and it seems to work very well. Just need to figure out if I can use the RTI system. I plan to install separate new electronics in the bedroom as well.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

2005 Country Coach Affinity 77045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
I am new to this coach and it is my first to have hydronic heat. Struggling with the operation of it for heat. I got the hot water figured out. Need to know how to use it and the thermostat. ???? Help!
Well have done a lot repairs and maintenance to my coach. I have not had much need for the heating system until a month or so ago and it wasn't very cold at that time. I have to say my heating system sucks. It is now pretty cold, well below freezing here in the Midwest and my coach struggles to stay in the 50* temps. This is with both the electric heat on and the hydronic heating systems running. Not sure what's up or if I am that stupid. I have had 8 RV's from cabovers, tow behind, fifth wheel, and now my second motorhome and havenever had this much trouble figuring out some of the issues I gave ran into with this coach. In general I really like the coach but for such a high end rig it seems to be pretty complicated to operate some of the equipment unless there is something not working as it should. Have any of you out there had similar issues such as this. I gave ran the Hydro hot on both diesel and electric, and the diesel seems to be running fine as does the gas when heat water. The diesel does have exhaust coming out of the exhaust pipe and seems to be cycling. The compartments seem to be warm compared to outside temps. I have read through the supplied manuals and I think I have it all set properly. I have also topped of the coolant in the hydronic heating reservoir. Also it seems they didn't plan well for winterizing the system but I have a plan for that.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

What is the temp at your registers and are all of them working. The system is not complicated as far as i know. Are all your zones working? How hot is the water coming out of your faucets? Its just a boiler and pumps so you should be able to set a zone at a time and confirm the pump and temp. Boiler temp may be down.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenone View Post
On my '09 Magna it's 5 screws but still the same thing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I love my AquaHot system and it provides plenty of quiet heat and hot water. But the system does require periodic service. You should check out Roger Berne's site (RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home) for a servicing dealer near you.
On my Dynasty, I can select furnace (AquaHot) and the temp and the rest is automatic.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #12

Sorry you are having problems. Sounds like you have been busy on other issues, so may not have had a chance to have your heating system looked over.

Some tips:
-Suspect your coach should have heated tile floors (Our 04 Allure does, and the Affinity is three levels above it!). I would have that cranked up to say 90, maybe even 95. Getting the floor heated up, provides a great heat sink mass to work off of. And feels pretty dang good on bare, or socked feet!
-As mentioned, do check each of your registries. Turn on all zones, and crank up the thermostat to kick all zones off and running. Maybe set them all to 95 for this. Then go check each of the registers (Where the heat comes into the coach.) for positive hot air flow.
>These are mini radiators, and the AquaHot zones these off and pumps/circulates hot fluid to these mini radiator/heat exchangers.
-A circulation pump could be out
-A hose could be kinked, restricting flow of hot fluid
-A fan could be out at the heat registry
-A fuse could be out to some the heat registry zones
-The radiator part of the heat exchanger, could be clogged
(Without regular usage, these have been know to clog. So at least four
times a year, be sure to exercise all of of the heating zones.)

In the meantime, the Affinity is well insulated. So get a few portable heaters, and put them on different outlet circuits to not overload a breaker. You also have heat pumps, which at some temperatures could assist you too.

Please come back and tell us what you find was the root cause! And best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #13

Thanks I will let you know what I come up with. My biggest issue is having time to diagnose everything but you gave me some good ideas of where to start. Since I have never had a system like this I was not sure what to expect other than it should be a god system if it was designed and engineered for a coach of this type and size. I think I may be going about it incorrectly. I did discover that in my three zones 1 & 3 have the option for gas heat which the coach does not have a tank or a place to fill one unless it is well hidden. (My gauge states I have 19.6 gallons of LP on board.) I set 1 & 3 on gas heat and it does seem to be working a bit better and holding the temp I have it set at. I will turn it up to a higher temp and see what it does over night. My electric heat seems to be putting out warm air but not enough to keep the coach at a safe temperature. Let you know tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #14

LP heat too adds a check of your LP system too.

Does the coach have an LP stovetop? And if so, does it fire off? (This would show your LP tank regulator/shut off/leak sensor are all on and functioning.)

If you do not have away to prove LP is flowing. Add a check to see that the LP valve is turned on at the tank. The switch next to the fill area is also on. And that the leak detector sensor inside of the coach, is also in the on position. Any one of these being off, would keep propane from flowing to your furnace.

And furnaces need a infighter, possibly these may need a look over too.

I'm not familiar with a combination AquaHot heating and Propane Furnace combo. Know the exist in other coaches, was not aware the Affinity had this combo too!

Hopefully another owner with a similar equipped coach, will add some tips.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat