RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

2007 Country Coach pre purchase inspection issue

Ok. So we have a contract to buy a 2007 Country Coach Tribute 260 pending inspection. We had our inspection today and the inspector could find little wrong with the coach, except for a roof issue that I would like some guidance with.

On an estimated 50% of the perimeter of the coach, the fiberglass roof seems to be separated from the substrate about 6" from the edge of the roof. If it's stepped on, it crackles and then returns to it's previous position. It seems to be more prevalent near the slides but not limited to those areas only. There is one roof vent that is a couple of feet from the edge and the roof is solid until the 6" mark is reached there as well. There is no indication of any water damage inside and the roof is in good condition otherwise. The roof wraps around the sidewall about 3" so it seems unlikely water could have entered and then gone upwards.

The NRVIA inspector said he had never seen this before. Don't know how long he's been doing it though. The owner said he's been on a lot of RV roofs and they all do that. Will take that one with a very large grain of salt. However, the owner has had the unit stored outside, so my thought is if it was going to leak, it would have by now.

Any opinions on what possibly caused this, but more importantly, are we looking at some issue that's going to rear it's ugly head and cost us large $$ to repair? As I mentioned, the coach is in mint condition otherwise. We ordered oil and coolant tests for both engine and generator as well as the transmission oil and should have those results within a week. There's only 24K miles on the unit so the chassis parts should not be too worn.

Don't think you can tell much from the listing photo of the roof but included it anyway.

I look forward to hearing comments from the wise forum members.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8512990_102.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	256132  
AussieNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
My fibreglass roof sheet has detached from substrate in a few places. It is still water tight and strong enough to prevent "billowing" when travelling at highway speeds.

Some rubber (EPDM) roofs do the same and become a problem when the area becomes large. The rubber "billows" or "balloons" when travelling at highway speeds. Not a concern with a fibreglass sheet, in my opinion.

Others will share their opinions as well. Unless there is cracking in the fibreglass sheet I would feel comfortable with the roof integrity.

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #3

Thanks, Brian, for the quick reply. Settles the nerves a little when buying a 12 year old coach and there are so many things that can go wrong.

My DW and I are co-buying this with an old friend and his DW in Michigan. I am in South Australia and will be using the coach for several months a year starting in 2020 while he maintains, stores, and uses it when we're not using it.

We saw the coach when shopping for them in July and love it so we don't want to back out and have to start the shopping process online like I did for the previous 8 months before our visit in July. It's just that we don't want to be spending our vacations in repair shops anymore than we have to.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
TR4

I have the same issue, itís never been a problem.

Bill
Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #5

Thanks, Bill.

Funny thing is, 2 days before we saw the one that we have the offer on, we looked at the identical coach at a dealer in another state. There was bubbling on the sidewall, just above the bay doors on both sides of the coach, between the two slides. The bubbles were about a foot long and about 3" high and there were several on each side. We crossed it off of our list because of that.

Was just starting to think that Country Coach had some glue issues in 2007.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #6

I have the same model coach and it does the same thing. I have read the roof floats so that feeling is okay. Your looking for cracks and separation at seams.

I had a 15 page inspection list and after the purchase found may things wrong. Good luck and enjoy.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #7

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I have just received the video of the roof issue from the inspector. Please take a look and see if it looks like what you were all thinking it was.

Thanks again for your responses.

Dave
Old 08-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #8

I'm not an expert but your roof sounds like mine too in some places.
You can call Country Coach now Winnebago for more information. 541-234-2167
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #9

Yes the glass is floating, vs glued down. Hard to tell by just this listening, but that sound like soft/rotting material in that section. So possible that water has intruded thru non sealed penetration point, and as water does - mysteriously settle in a section seeming miles away from the leaking point! The other coach you mentioned, would probably have been delimitation due to water intrusion...

Water damage in that edge of the roof near the curve, could have worked it's way down into the side wall area too....

Water leaks, left unattended and festering, can result in structural problems, and if not structural, mold can take hold and cause health problems.

Unless the inspector, and grounder with a similar Tribute, can confirm this sound is consistent in all areas, I'd get a more thorough inspection. Better to be sure then sorry!

(I'll share that our 04 Allure, did have an leak in the front right side where the Air Horn penetration for the air hose was. Previous owner did to catch it. This resulted in us holding off on the commitment to buy the coach, until the CC Dealer that had it in on consignment (And whom I had a salesman assisting me in a nationwide search.) got into it enough to see what needed replacing. Ours required about a 10" repair of the roof substrate, as well as we had a metal panel patch sealed over the the areas where the fiberglass had to be removed to do the repair. We also treated the wood side up towards the very top, behind the entertainment cabinet to the left of the door when we stepped in (You could see where moisture had wicked down about 10 inches or so.) to prevent mold. So it was caught early enough, and the repair and my inspection during the process was a part of us moving forward on the purchase. No long term problems...)

A deeper review by someone who knows CC coaches - is probably warranted.

That is all IMO. Good luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
country coach, purchase