Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2021, 09:40 PM   #1

400 amp class t fuse blew

So the rv has been parked in the garage plugged in for a year. We have been using the fridge for house overflow. I went out to get some milk and the power was down. Went through the normal troubleshooting and found the 400 amp fuse feeding 12 volt to the inverter blew. This troubles me since there was no load on the inverter not the charger section. Relatively new magnum inverter.
Has anyone had a fuse go for no reason?
My first thought is something on the horizon with the inverter.
To blow the fuse you need load and with no power being used the only load source would be internal with the inverter itself.
Thoughts?
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
Community Moderator

400a is a lot. I had my 350a T fuse burned once becaue while it was charging my EV toad (135a @12v) I forgot it and started using microwave in high power (150a @12v). That was a real overload. In your case a fridge doesn't use many amps, to burn a 400a fuse it had to be short of circuit somewhere. What you can do is to do a few tests -

(1) While T fuse is removed, you can test the resistence between the fuse holder at inverter side and the battery negative terminal. If the reading isn't infinite, the inverter board is likely shot.

(2) Now if it is infinite (open), you can disconnect the output wires of the inverter, use a 10-15a or so fuse to bridge the T fuse holder and turn on inverter. If inverter starts and stays on, your inverter isn't the gremlin.

(3) Then you can focus on your 120v circuits.

Good luck!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #3

Stick your nose up in the inverter compartment. If it blew that fuse, its cooked and will smell burnt.

If not, check for a serious short to ground on the positive cable.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:51 AM   #4

Check every inch of the positive cabling from fuse to inverter.

Look for any evidence (like rodent damage) of bare wire touching any metal (ground).

OR evidence of a rodent electrocution!
Old 03-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #5

Everything checks out fine. I tested all the circuits before i stuck the new fuse in. The positive cable is fully visible going to the inverter. The fuse itself looks like it has never seen heat. I am wondering if corrosion over the last 13 years caused a natural failure.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse