Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #1

50 amp Marinco Plug - Supply 240V out?

Well, sitting here listening to the rain from Hurricane Florence & was wondering how to supply 240v out from my PowerTech 7000w generator to run to my 50a plug on the house. It does not feed back thru the cord reel, so I assume there is a safety disconnect so you wont fry your RV if you start the generator while plugged into shore power. Was wondering if the Marinco 50 amp smart lock plug at the rear near the radiator is powered up hot by the generator? If so, I can just order the plug and make me a cord to tie to the house.

I have a 5000w gas generator I use now, but it is a very loud, needs constant fueling & I have to cover it in heavy rain. Sure would be nice to be able to use the quiet diesel generator on the Coach with its 110 gal of fuel on board!

Thanks for any help!

Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to nacimiento Send a message via MSN to nacimiento Send a message via Yahoo to nacimiento
Unless you are real handy with high voltage and breaker panels, don't do it.

Yes it can be done, but you would have to wire a sub-panel off of the RV panel by replacing 2 single pole breakers with a 50 amp double pole that would service your new sub-panel. all breakers serving the RV would need to be turned off to use. Then, depending on the length of the run, size the power cord bigger than needed (in my opinion). If it is a long run, don't count on getting a full 50 amps at the house.

Is it really worth it when generators are cheap? Next time, be prepared. Buy a whole house generator with an auto-connect breaker panel. Power goes off, generator starts and the breaker panel engages simultaneous to disengaging power company power.

For a small unit like this 50 amp service, you can get for $5K all in. More $ the bigger you get. I have a 30KW serving my house. I was out of PGE power for 10 days during a big fire 2 years ago. No issue for my wife and I.

Everyone be prepared. Flood, Fire, Earthquakes or God forbid, the big event.
nacimiento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Stay in the MH - period ! Don't worry about wiring the House from your
your Generator ! Deal with it later on a professional level !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #4

easypesy. Go to your transfer switch. Disconnect the coach wiring from the load side of the switch. Connect your cable to your house where the coach was. all done. limit the load on the house.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Stay in the MH - period ! Don't worry about wiring the House from your
your Generator ! Deal with it later on a professional level !

I agree. Stay in your coach and run an extension cord from an outlet on the coach for your fridge in the stick house. Deal with the best way to connect RV genset to house later. There are several ways to do it properly.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

I have always wanted to correctly wire a plug off my power tech just in case I had to use it in a storm. I have a 100 amp sub panel on my house with a generator plug in. I also have a spare power cord. So I also would like to know how to wire up the generator properly to use. I understand unhooking the wires at the transfer switch, but I really don't want to run my power cord through a window and on the floor to the panel.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #7

Well, many different opinions on what to do.

As far as wiring, I wire my own houses when we build, so not a problem. Already have a 50a outside plug the coach is plugged into now, so there is no new house wiring to be done.

Not going to waste money on a whole house automatic generator when I have 2 generators already (5k portable & 7k on coach).

Staying in the coach in a hurricane would not be fun, plus the fact we cant get my 84yr mother-in-law, that uses a walker, up the steps.

Was not trying to do this during the hurricane, just a future project to make it easier. Luckily, I only lost power for about 6 hrs during the day Friday & I did rig a cord with 2 male plugs to feed one side of the house from the coach. Was going to switch to the portable generator at night, to supply more lights & run the microwave, but luckily I did not need it.

As I originally asked, just wanted to know if the Marinco plug was hot or if it also goes thru the transfer switch. And why is the Marinco plug there if I have a cord reel? Anyone know?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxSurveyor View Post
Well, sitting here listening to the rain from Hurricane Florence & was wondering how to supply 240v out from my PowerTech 7000w generator to run to my 50a plug on the house. It does not feed back thru the cord reel, so I assume there is a safety disconnect so you wont fry your RV if you start the generator while plugged into shore power. Was wondering if the Marinco 50 amp smart lock plug at the rear near the radiator is powered up hot by the generator? If so, I can just order the plug and make me a cord to tie to the house.

Thanks for any help!

Chris
My rig has a PT7k generator with a transfer switch that defaults to Generator Power when the Generator is running. So shore power and gen power do not conflict.

It does not have a cord reel.

It does have a Marinco Marine type external receptacle behind the rear axle on the Driver side that connects to shore power via a 50A Marinco cord. I know for certain the receptacle is not smart!

Due to the age difference, your cord reel may be OEM or aftermarket install.

The only way I could send power from the Rig to the house would be via a 15A outlet and extension cord being powered by the generator or inverter.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
.I don't believe the PT 7000 outputs 240 volts but I haven't looked it up either.
With Onan RV generators you have to have a 10 or 12.5K unit before they output 240.
Then you should have (required here) an automatic transfer switch so you don't backfeed to the wiring grid.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #10

If the plug on your coach is a male plug , it can only be used to supply power to the coach. The easiest way is to connect a 50 amp receptacle to your generator with a 2 pole 25 amp breaker. Then run a proper sized cord to a transfer switch in the house. Plug in the cord , start the generator , then switch the transfer switch. If the generator has 240 volts out , everything in your house should work to the limit of the generator . If it is wired for 120 volts then none of the 240v appliances will work. This will require an electrician to properly wire the house items. Then you will be all set for the next power outage.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #11

You need to have a competent electrician install a proper panel so you do not back feed the line coming into your house. You could kill a power company worker.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
easypesy. Go to your transfer switch. Disconnect the coach wiring from the load side of the switch. Connect your cable to your house where the coach was. all done. limit the load on the house.

X2 that will do it. Now if you’re not sure what is meant in this explanation then don’t try it.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #13

Sorry, should have explained better, not trying to run 240v appliances, just feed 120v @ 25a to both legs of the panel box. For fridge, lights, tv, fans, microwave, etc...

I always turn off the 240v breakers & turn off the main breaker from the power company before I backfeed the panel box.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxSurveyor View Post
Sorry, should have explained better, not trying to run 240v appliances, just feed 120v @ 25a to both legs of the panel box. For fridge, lights, tv, fans, microwave, etc...

I always turn off the 240v breakers & turn off the main breaker from the power company before I backfeed the panel box.

Thanks for the replies!
therein lies the problem. people doing that and forgetting to turn off the main and killing someone. There is a device made to allow for this. you install a sub-main-breaker under the panel main. You feed the sub-main with the gen. the device is installed on the panel cover to not let you turn on the gen feed breaker without first turning off the main and vise versa. if you don't use this device please do not back feed your panel.