Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

89 Concept wont shift and gear light off

Hello all, I am new to the forum, but have an 89 Country Coach Concept, Detroit Diesiel, 40’ that I’ve owned for 10 years (and my parents for 10 before me).

Recently I started it up to get ready for a trip, and it started up beautifully, like it usually does. I came off the jacks and sat down to drive it. I noticed that the red light, that tells me what gear I am in, on the control panel to my left (right above the switch that shifts gears) was not on. I tried to shift up to drive, and nothing, I tried to shift down to reverse, nothing. I turned the coach off, then back on. I shut domestic off, and on. Nothing.

I removed the panel and looked underneath. All the wires looked firmly attached and it was clean and dry in there. I pulled out the two black Bosch relays that are right underneath the panel. They are both identical (same numbers on both) so I switched their positions and started the coach up again. The transmission gear select light still did not come on, but all of a sudden my ac/heat/vent blower started working! I can’t remember the last time that work! Obviously one of the circuts in one of the relays was bad, so I went down to Napa and got two new ones and put them in. Still won’t shift.

I’m assuming the next obvious thing to check would be the fuses. I pulled out the manual and can see the wiring diagrams that include that panel and all the fuses... but where is the “front running board fuse panel”???

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!
Christina
89CCconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
The front run board is usually in the compartment directly below the driver's seat, accessible from outside the coach.

Am not sure what generation of Allison your transmission is but try an internet search for an Allison WTEC II operator's manual and see if it gives the process for displaying error codes using the shift pad. See if that tells you anything. Post the results on the Allison forum here on iRV2.

Good luck.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #3

If you did any battery work, look near them for a transmission power wire and hidden fuse.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #4

If you climb under your coach, there is a big plug on the passenger side of the transmission that is on the end thick com cable. Like the size of the end of an extension cord. There is a threaded ring that locks the com cable to the tranny that is likely cracked and moisture and corrosion have gotten in there.
That is what mine and Russ's did.
On the side of the tranny there is a little lever actuated my a small piston that you can move manually to shift, I used a broom handle when mine stuck in reverse.
(brake on but still spooky)

I took the cable apart and cleaned the ends, added a proverbial crap ton of dielectric grease and reconnected. Then I taped it with an all weather compression tape. (rubber stuff, not electrical tape)
That should get you going, I have seen that same thing a few times and it always was that plug. most of the fuses are auto reset so unless the are crunchy they can be a trick to track down
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #5

Wow, thank you all so much for the great information! That would’ve taken years for me to find on my own! I’ll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #6

How did it go?
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #7

Sadly I got called out of town on work before I could actually give it a try. I’m hoping to get to it when I get home end of next week. We have a trip planned on 1 September so I’m hoping it works! Thank you again for all the information and I will absolutely let you know how it goes.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89CCconcept View Post
Sadly I got called out of town on work before I could actually give it a try. I’m hoping to get to it when I get home end of next week. We have a trip planned on 1 September so I’m hoping it works! Thank you again for all the information and I will absolutely let you know how it goes.

Exactly what cntrylife said. The plug on mine came loose and disconnected. Took me a few days to find it while shifting it manually underneath the coach as Andrew mentioned. Not recommended (and spooky is right) but I was stuck in Texas at the time. Easy fix and would almost guarantee that will correct your problem. Sorry I didn’t see your post earlier. I hadn’t checked in with this forum for some time.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #9

Any luck?
Old 09-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #10

Hi! Sadly I still haven’t found the time to go look at the transmission and find the plug. Funny how life can get in the way! I’m really hoping to get to it soon! I definitely let you all know what I find. Fingers crossed it works!
Old 09-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi! Sadly I still haven’t found the time to go look at the transmission and find the plug. Funny how life can get in the way! I’m really hoping to get to it soon! I definitely let you all know what I find. Fingers crossed it works!

When you do get around to it feel free to PM me and I’ll give you my phone number if I can be of any help over the phone.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #12

Thank you so much that would be fantastic!
Old 09-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #13

BTW, love the Jeep! We have a 94 Cherokee sport 4x4 two door that tows nicely behind the coach and is very fun out in the Mohave desert off road areas!
Old 09-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #14

Quote:
BTW, love the Jeep! We have a 94 Cherokee sport 4x4 two door that tows nicely behind the coach and is very fun out in the Mohave desert off road areas!

Lol. Thanks. We love the Jeep too. In fact, so much that we have three of them. Short story is as our two older daughters went off to college we let them take their Jeeps with them so I bought a third TJ so I wouldn’t be without.

Tags
light