Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #1

8D Batteries-price

Just purchased a 03 Affinity and seriously considering replacing the 8D AGM batteries shortly. They are fully charged but would feel much better replacing them all with new and start fresh. Best price for my choice (Lifeline) $645ea free ship, no tax. Does anyone have a source with a better price?
olyshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #2

the shipping costs to buy not locally would kill you....buy them locally
Old 09-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #3

SC3283: The price I was quoted was Free Shipping, no tax. In addition, If I purchased these locally I would pay 8.4%tax. Even with free ship and no tax these batteries are pricey, just wanted to see if there was a better price out there.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #4

Remember "free shipping" is a gimmick...Someone has to pay the shipping because carriers(UPS Fed Ex, Truck lines) do charge vendors for shipping
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only AGM's I can get locally without paying shipping (either stated shipping or 'free shipping' which is really included in the price of the battery) were Deka Intimidator AGM 8D at $545 from Batteries Plus. That price included helping me lift the batteries into coach and remove the old ones for exchange or delivering the new batteries to a local Cummins shop so they could do the swap for me. The price for two batteries was a bit lower per battery than the single battery price.

I have two 8D Deka AGM's in my coach and they load tested fine. I was pricing new ones since I was planning to add one or two since this Allure came from the factory with 4 of the 8D's. Previous owner replaced the OEM batteries in 2011 and apparently decided just to go with 2 8D's.

I understand Lifeline are the absolute best.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

Just got Lifeline's from Powerstride Battery. There price is often very good, may not be the absolute best price, but pretty close. Worth checking with no tax or shipping.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone in another thread somewhere just layed out 700 each for some 8-D AGM's.. Other than their specifications (Which are impressive) that's all I know about 'em.

Oh, and make sure they are DEEP CYCLE, not Marine/Deep cycle which are not nearly as good for RV use.. You should not have a problem finding true Deep Cycle AGM 8-D's
Old 09-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Add some solar panels and New AGMs as part of the new solar system- then claim all solar system cost as a deduction on your Federal Income Tax form. You could also add a upgraded Inverter with larger charger section and claim that also.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Oh, and make sure they are DEEP CYCLE, not Marine/Deep cycle which are not nearly as good for RV use..
WRONG..."Marine" Deep Cycle are RUGGEDIZED versions of auto deep cycle. They make them in BOTH Dual USE ...start & deep AND pure DEEP CYCLE which is what is needed.
DEKA/EastPenn spec sheets for their whole line are here:
http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0194.pdf

You will note that the DEKA Intimidator AGM 8D's weigh 2 lbs MORE than the Lifelines...hardly the mark of a lighter duty dual purpose batt. I further note that the Lifeline RV and Marine batteries in deep cycle are EXACTLY the same in all particulars except the label.

Lifelines are fine batteries...but so are others EastPenn/DEKA FULLRIVER Trojan also make some fine agm 8d's.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyshed View Post
Just purchased a 03 Affinity and seriously considering replacing the 8D AGM batteries shortly. They are fully charged but would feel much better replacing them all with new and start fresh. Best price for my choice (Lifeline) $645ea free ship, no tax. Does anyone have a source with a better price?
Just curious; did you get the 2003 42-foot bed and breakfast Affinity, or the "early" 2004 45-foot Affinity?
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #11

We observed VRLA batteries at Sams today in various sizes, no 8D, but they may be able to order them.

Price did not seem to bad, but these were starting batteries, twice the price as floaded and only one year longer on warranty, they do have lower resistance than floaded, but the current models are crazy good too, so just not worth it on the starting side.

If the coach batteries can be kept cool in their "happy place" they last long time, over heat or over charge and you are in trouble
Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #12

Sorry, I was going to purchase the 2003 but instead purchased the 2001 - 40 ft tag w/ 2 slides.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just curious....
Why not go with Group 31 s wired in parallel....a lot easier to handle & prolly less costly?????
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

And less capacity...

If built for 8D then use them.

Also, telecom batteries like GR12-160 in a pair are about same size as an 8D, and can be purchased used for cheap from battery companies that support cell networks, usually about 50.00 or less.

Tags
batteries