Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Finally had a chance to put a few miles on Maggie.

1st trip was towing the Toy Box fully loaded with the Jeep and lots of tools from Seattle to NW Oklahoma (1835 miles) and she handled it like a champ. Only on the biggest of hills did she have to work very hard. The only issue was in Wyoming where the temps were -18 F with a wind chill bringing it down to -40. I stopped for the night but kept the coach and the genset running for fear it would never start again.

2nd trip I am taking my 98 yr old grandmother on the road. 1st stop was in a small town south of Tulsa for an overnight visit with family before continuing on to Huntsville, AL for more family visits. This time without towing anything. On the return trip now and south of Tulsa again. The only issues were when we tried to go offroad and she got stuck in the Alabama clay. Thanks to a local with a backhoe and a strong strap we managed to get her out. NEVER leave the pavement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170212_101105.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	151688  
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #16

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Never leave the pavement
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170206_145417.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	151689  
Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Never leave the pavement
I suspect you will leave your 'off roading' to your Jeep from now on .

Hope your grandmother enjoyed the trip and time with you. Great that she can travel with you at her age. God bless her.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #18

I had actually successfully put that nightmare behind me of getting our 36 foot 2000 Country Coach Magna stuck in soft dirt/mud when we tried to camp early in the spring at a state park. I attempted to dig myself out for 5 hours before calling 'uncle' and injuring myself with a pitch fork in the process. Ugg. Personal recommendation... call a REALLY BIG tow service out of the gate, pour yourself a glass of your favorite wine and let somebody else correct the dilemma.

David
2003 CC Lexa
Burlroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is the smallest rig I'd recommend trying to tow a CC and it was barely adequate for a 40 mile I-5 tow! Driver complained about the tow truck wheels coming off the road on bumps and I-5 up here isn't near as bad as I-5 in CA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150309_153244.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	151755  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #20

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Mr D, hows that big motor rig of yours doing?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #21

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I suspect you will leave your 'off roading' to your Jeep from now on .

Hope your grandmother enjoyed the trip and time with you. Great that she can travel with you at her age. God bless her.
She has been. Looking forward to the next trip. Yeah, Maggie wont be going on any ground I'm not positive she won't get stuck in going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlroad View Post
I had actually successfully put that nightmare behind me of getting our 36 foot 2000 Country Coach Magna stuck in soft dirt/mud when we tried to camp early in the spring at a state park. I attempted to dig myself out for 5 hours before calling 'uncle' and injuring myself with a pitch fork in the process. Ugg. Personal recommendation... call a REALLY BIG tow service out of the gate, pour yourself a glass of your favorite wine and let somebody else correct the dilemma.

David
2003 CC Lexa
I thought the tow truck was going to be my only option until the fella with the backhoe came along.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #22

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have a compartment that is full passthrough just behind the front axle. I intend to put a slide out fridge/freezer and counter/sink above that for the fun side of the coach. I have a nice Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner (30,000 BTU ea) grill box. griddle and oven accessories that will set up nicely on the patio and store well in the same bay. I will add the required plumbing for the sink and a propane hookup. Other patio equipment would go in the same bay from the other side.

There is a window between mid entry door and passenger window that is in an area I plan to convert into an office/entertainment center and would like to build in an outside TV in the window opening since the window would be blocked during the office conversion anyway, for games etc while tailgating or just having fellow travelers visit us at our camp. I prefer to be outside whenever possible. Food and fun are better shared than solo IMHO. But then I love cooking and grilling so.....

Will add a nice outdoor sound system for music or the TV.

Inside overhead in the drivers area will get a total rework. Huge headbanger CRT on the right side. This overhead will be redesigned without the TV and will add more cabinets and storage space.

Office area will serve double duty as stated above with a TV that rises out of the back of the desk on a swivel so it can be viewed from anywhere forward of the bathroom area.

Will be removing all carpet and installing prefinished hardwood.

Changing the HWH 2000 series leveling system to the newer Active Air ride control.

Won't start on these until we are well into fall and she won't be on the road. Next spring she'll be ready to rock.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #23

Oklahoma Boomers Club
This photo (or more accurately a composite of 2 photos) show the window that will be removed and the bay where the kitchen will go.

Once the window is removed I will build a compartment that will house the flat panel TV, soundbar, DVD player, mini Genie, am/fm/cd. The front cover will retract slightly and drop down inside the wall. The track it rides on will press the panel into place against the seal for a watertight fit. I have done similar projects on Suburbans and Power Wagons for competition AV systems. There is a channel inside to catch any moisture that may get past the seal.

Below the window the arrow point to the compartment for the slide out kitchen. Slide will have a counter with a bar sink for washing hands, a refer/freezer below and an LP quick disconnect for the grill. I will be using a Camp Chef with dual 30K BTU burners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Outside-window-and-bay.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	154356  
Old 03-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #24

Oklahoma Boomers Club
This is inside the window as it exists now. The buckets and stand will be removed and a new desk/entertainment center will go here. Flat panel will retract into the desk at the rear when not in use. Mounted on a swivel TV can be moved to view anywhere in the forward 1/2 of the coach from kitchen to driver area.

Directly across from this is the current Jackknife sofa which will likely be replaced with newer furniture that offers more flexibility like the Extenda Flex Lounge by Flexsteel or Villa Extending L Sectional by Glastop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Office-window.png
Views:	65
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	154359  
Old 03-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #25

Oklahoma Boomers Club
This is the current overhead where the old CRT tv currently resides. This entire overhead will be reworked relocating all the current switches and control panels to inside a cabinet and add more cabinet & storage space. Gone will be all that white vinyl replaced with cherry matching the existing cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Overhead.png
Views:	62
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	154360  
Old 03-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
You certainly have some ambitious modifications planned. Please post your progress with pics.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #27

Oklahoma Boomers Club
That I do. Lol. But all well within my wheelhouse. There will be lots of post, pic and video once the project begins. Lots of travel planned for the next few months but come fall I'll have plenty of time.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Looking forward to your upgrades, Jay! Also to seeing Maggie in person at the M&G in Aug.! Rail!