RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #15

Blowouts are not a fun experience. Been close to 25 years, since we rented a 30' Southwind and ran basically non stop, with the longest break being 45 mins at a Houston Rest Stop for microwave Lasagna Dinner, from San Diego to Key West. This was a Southwind that U-Haul of San Diego was renting out, and it had about 1800 miles on it when we picked it up... Suspect the non stop driving, really heated up the tires. We had two inner tires blow out, within 3 driving hours of each other... Minimal damage to the RV, so it did not impact the trip.

And now with a few more years under my aging belt, and with the help of many on this and other boards - I know a bit more about proper coach/tire care!

Back to 12R's. I believe several 2002-2005 CC's came stock with 12R Toyo's on them(?). Probably related to the recall I think was mentioned, as Toyo's and CC did have a falling out!

On heavier coaches, perhaps 12R's are not a good idea(?). But with my low weights, still feel perfectly safe running 12R's and or 295/80's.

For sure, always worth doing extra research on specific coaches, as some coaches did deliver with especially front axle weights near at or near the weight limits. Many coaches, Wanderlodge comes to mind, had owners swap over to 9" rims on the steers.

Safety is worth the extra time to work things out. And for sure, double checking with competent tire professionals (And do you research on this too, as many places are more interested in pushing tires out the door - then on what is appropriate.), if you're uncomfortable doing your own research. (And this comment is a comment in general. Not directed to anyone on this thread!)

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #16

Hi, I have a 2004 CC Allure 40' with tag and independent front suspension. The original tires were Toyo's these were good tires eventually replaced because of age. These did provide a rather stiff ride, but I feel they were excellent tires. I replaced them with Firestone 561's they do ride a bit smoother than the Toyo's, I have only had them for slightly over a year, so far they seem to be good tires, no complaints.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Young View Post
Hi, I have a 2004 CC Allure 40' with tag and independent front suspension. The original tires were Toyo's these were good tires eventually replaced because of age. These did provide a rather stiff ride, but I feel they were excellent tires. I replaced them with Firestone 561's they do ride a bit smoother than the Toyo's, I have only had them for slightly over a year, so far they seem to be good tires, no complaints.
I do not think there was any problem with the Toyo tires. More likely the real problem was CC and the mislabeling of data as relates to weight. There are owners on here who actually went thru this problem directly.etherway Toyo wound up with a bad rap. In my case the blow outs were with Michelins , Cause was overweight on the drive axle and could not be corrected without a tag axle. I wrote many letters to Monaco , they never would except the blame , this was around 1999 I think.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Blowouts are not a fun experience. Been close to 25 years, since we rented a 30' Southwind and ran basically non stop, with the longest break being 45 mins at a Houston Rest Stop for microwave Lasagna Dinner, from San Diego to Key West. This was a Southwind that U-Haul of San Diego was renting out, and it had about 1800 miles on it when we picked it up... Suspect the non stop driving, really heated up the tires. We had two inner tires blow out, within 3 driving hours of each other... Minimal damage to the RV, so it did not impact the trip.

And now with a few more years under my aging belt, and with the help of many on this and other boards - I know a bit more about proper coach/tire care!

Back to 12R's. I believe several 2002-2005 CC's came stock with 12R Toyo's on them(?). Probably related to the recall I think was mentioned, as Toyo's and CC did have a falling out!

On heavier coaches, perhaps 12R's are not a good idea(?). But with my low weights, still feel perfectly safe running 12R's and or 295/80's.

For sure, always worth doing extra research on specific coaches, as some coaches did deliver with especially front axle weights near at or near the weight limits. Many coaches, Wanderlodge comes to mind, had owners swap over to 9" rims on the steers.

Safety is worth the extra time to work things out. And for sure, double checking with competent tire professionals (And do you research on this too, as many places are more interested in pushing tires out the door - then on what is appropriate.), if you're uncomfortable doing your own research. (And this comment is a comment in general. Not directed to anyone on this thread!)

Best,
Smitty
Well now it is next week and for me, my tire and wheel continues. Got the bright new 9" Alcoa wheels and the AH 315s ready to go on Tue. .....Dealer tried to fit the wheels , no cigar ! My chassis , made by Gillig has an older style hub that is not compatible with the new Alcoas. .....Alcoa called me yesterday with the bad news that they no longer make that wheel ! What do I do now ? Alcoa engineer had no answer. All wheels ( Accuride too ) come from huge warehouse in Las Vegas and there are no wheels that will fit my Concept. Today I am looking at new hubs, will know more later ? My other thought is as you stated, maybe I can get by with the 8.25 wheels and put on the 315s , knowing the capacity will be less, but , looking at the original specs on the Concept it called for 12Rs from the factory, so ......what to do. I just pulled out an old CAT scale slip and it reads 49,800 gross , 30,580 on drive , so , .....what would you do ? ( if you were me that is ) ?
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #19

Hey darstar - That must not have been a fun experience, when the shop said 'These no fit!'... Sorry that is the case.

You might call around to some of the RV Salvage yards and see if they have any vintage 9" that will fit your chassis.

You mentioned a CAT scale weight slip. You might want to do get a second weighting, preferably "four corner weight". Some coaches have one side heavier then the other, and that of course is the weight to use to calculate the PSI for that full axle. Getting a confirmation of the actual weights involved, would at least let you know for sure what you're truing to handle on those steers!

You may have read this, but here is a link I remembered reading when going thru the 12R or 315/80 on 8.25 rims investigation:

Anyone using 8.25 rims for 315/80r 22.5's? [Archive] - Wanderlodge Owners Group

I know you're going for the Hankook's, you might want to call and talk to their tech support. I called Michelin when I was going thru my decision process, and they had a gent call me back that was very helpful in talking to my level of knowledge (Or lack of!). And again going off of memory, but I think it was either Continental or Bridgestone that had a 12R tire that per their PSI load charts could handle a heavier weight then most.

Best of luck on this, and please come back with what you end up determine is the best path forward.

Smitty
Old 11-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #20

[QUOTE=Peralko;3322060]I will never put Toyo tires on our coach after I had two Toyos with tread separation on our '95 Affinity.
Put two sets of Michelins on that coach--the last set was last year after good service for 7 years on the first set. Will not put anything but Michelins on this coachQUOTE]

Peralko
I will never again put Michelin tires on my coach after 6 Michelin XZE tires developed sidewall cracks at only 3-1/2 years of age...per the DOT manufactured on date).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Well now it is next week and for me, my tire and wheel continues. Got the bright new 9" Alcoa wheels and the AH 315s ready to go on Tue. .....Dealer tried to fit the wheels , no cigar ! My chassis , made by Gillig has an older style hub that is not compatible with the new Alcoas. .....Alcoa called me yesterday with the bad news that they no longer make that wheel ! What do I do now ? Alcoa engineer had no answer. All wheels ( Accuride too ) come from huge warehouse in Las Vegas and there are no wheels that will fit my Concept. Today I am looking at new hubs, will know more later ? My other thought is as you stated, maybe I can get by with the 8.25 wheels and put on the 315s , knowing the capacity will be less, but , looking at the original specs on the Concept it called for 12Rs from the factory, so ......what to do. I just pulled out an old CAT scale slip and it reads 49,800 gross , 30,580 on drive , so , .....what would you do ? ( if you were me that is ) ?

I have 315/80 Michelin XZA2 Energy tires mounted on 8.25" wheels on my steer axle. They have served me well there for 7 years now. No sidewall cracks and no strange wear patterns. I will be replacing these due to age within the next year. In my research during the last couple of months, I have discovered that both Bridgestone and Continental will allow 315s on 8.25" wheels with no down rating of carry capacity. FMCA is working toward a national pricing program with Continental similar to the Michelin program.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
"FMCA is working toward a national pricing program with Continental similar to the Michelin program. "

All that needs to be done on this deal is signing the contract which could possibly be done now. The executive board voted to accept the program at their Oct meeting. Continental will be doing all the paperwork, pay for advertising, and give FMCA a percentage of tire sales.

Under the Michelin program, FMCA did all the paperwork, paid for the advertising and received zero money for their effort.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #23

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneal49 View Post
What would be a good riding tire on a 1997 Country Coach Affinity 40 footer? How are the Continental HSR2 tires and are they a good riding tire? How are the Goodyear's and Bridgestone's compared with the Michelin's?

Tim and Linda Neal
1997 Country Coach Affinity
Huntington Beach, California
97 coach! When were the shocks last replaced? I would consider 5 to 10 year max
Have you checked suspension bushings? I would definitely consider 15 - 20 year a max

How much inflation margin are you running based on the measured actual load on each tire?

I know of no one that has done a direct ride comparison on Class-A RV in the same manner done when we are trying to get a tire approved for OE car application. i.e. compare one new set directly with another on the same road within a couple of hours of each other.

It is impossible to get meaningful comparison of New vs old tires.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #24
DTS

I haven't seen anyone actually comment about the OP's original inquiry about Continentals yet, except for dons2346's comments about the FMCA program. I do have Continentals on my '98 Intrigue and they seem fine to me, nice smooth ride. But this is my first diesel pusher so I don't really have a frame of reference to make any comparisons. They were on the coach when I bought it earlier this year (late 2014 date code, still got some life in them). For what its worth, a friend I camped with this past summer used to own a trucking company before he sold out a few years ago. He had high praise for Contientals, said they ran them on all their trucks. But I don't recall if his opinion was based on longevity, cost-efficiency, or ride quality.
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #25

Commercial Member

Quote:
40' 2004 Allure with IFS. Road King shocks and Source Engineering air check valves.
snip

-The set of Michelin XZE*'s tires, have extra meat on the sidewall to protect agains curb kissing opportunities. Always felt safe, not bad on noise, but were even stiffer riding on the front end then the Toyo's. (Expansion joints, DOT's between the lanes, etc.)

So, their is my input!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

Smitty, I am always looking for facts and data. What were your measurements for sidewall rubber (over the cord) thickness for the Toyo's and Michelin XZE?

Also which Toyo tire did you measure?
Old 11-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Smitty, I am always looking for facts and data. What were your measurements for sidewall rubber (over the cord) thickness for the Toyo's and Michelin XZE?

Also which Toyo tire did you measure?
Tireman9 - Twas not me! I've never measured a Toyo. Had some some OEM' Toyo's on the coach when we bought it, and did install Michelin 12R's XZE*'s, that I felt were very robust and also feel the weight of the tire, back that. Several pounds heavier then others...

Note: On my cell phone, and with 10 thumbs, did not go back to reread the thread on whom you may have been wanting to ask that question!)

Best,
Smitty
Old 11-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Tireman9 - Twas not me! I've never measured a Toyo. Had some some OEM' Toyo's on the coach when we bought it, and did install Michelin 12R's XZE*'s, that I felt were very robust and also feel the weight of the tire, back that. Several pounds heavier then others...

Note: On my cell phone, and with 10 thumbs, did not go back to reread the thread on whom you may have been wanting to ask that question!)

Best,
Smitty
I did take a few Google searches, and found these spec's:

Toyo Tires
Model M111Z
Item Weight 100 pounds
Product Dimensions 42.6 x 42.6 x 11.6 inches
Item model number 546520
Manufacturer Part Number 546520
Section Width 12 inches
Construction Radial
Rim Diameter 22.5 inches
Load Index Rating 152
Speed Rating M
Tread Depth 19 thirty_seconds_inches

And on the 12R XZE*, the weight is:

Load Range H
Catalog Number 85335
Loaded Radius 19.8 in
Overall Diameter 42.6 in
Overall Width 11.4 in
Approved Rims 8.25, 9.00
Min. Dual Spacing 13.2 in
RPM 486 rpm
Tread Depth 22/32
Max Speed 75 mph
Max Load Per Tire Single 7390/120 lbs/psi
Max Load Per Tire Dual 6780/120 lbs/psi
Tire Weight 140.0

So 140LBS vs 100LBS, I feel, represents a more 'robust tire'(?). From memory, going back now 6-7 years, the Bridgestone R250 had a higher weight then the Toyo, but was still less then the XZE*. And of course, weight alone, is not the only way to evaluate a tire. But, I feel it does show the Michelin XZE* is one heck of a tire...

That being said. I refer many people to Tireman9's site, and if he feels I'm wrong on my assessment between the Toyo M111, Bridgestone R250 or the Michelin XZE* tires - it would be his more knowledgable experiences I'd give the nod too....

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 11-12-2016, 12:06 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just had all 8 tires and SmarTire sensors replaced today. 4 - 315/80's and 4 - 365/70's. All are being run at CC's pressure rating of 125 fronts and 100 for drive and tag as per CC's recommendations in my owners manual. Ride and handling is good. 315's are dated 1616 and the 365's are 3416.
Looked the old tires (4707 and 0208) over and could find no checking/cracking or damage outside nor inside. The only "damage" was the patch that Les Schwab put on last week when I got my first flat ever on a motorhome.
I figure the FMCA program save me well over $200 on the 315's and close to $300 on the 365's from list.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote