Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #1

A good riding tire

What would be a good riding tire on a 1997 Country Coach Affinity 40 footer? How are the Continental HSR2 tires and are they a good riding tire? How are the Goodyear's and Bridgestone's compared with the Michelin's?

Tim and Linda Neal
1997 Country Coach Affinity
Huntington Beach, California
timneal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I'm running Bridgestones on my coach. Smooth ride, wear well. I'd consider them again, but want to also look at FMCA discount on the BF Goodrich tires.

On a different coach, I had Goodyears and found them to ride hard. I replaced them with Michelin and the ride was much improved, however the GY were 7 years old, too...so, take that for what it's worth.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:36 AM   #3

I had Michelins and bought new Goodyears and I don't see how you could tell the difference with (air ride) suspension? Rides and drives great. I bought goodyears because they were still made in America and Michelins were not.
Jerry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

I have run Toyo and Bridgestone over the last 70,000 miles with comfort and success.

The Michelins were on the rig only a short time that I owned the rig before the CC recall and new tires so I have no real experience with that brand on a MH.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

40' 2004 Allure with IFS. Road King shocks and Source Engineering air check valves.

IMO!

-Usually the rear tires will not be felt as you are driving down the road.
-Front tires with stiffer sidewalls, can be felt as you go down the road.
-We found the first set of 6-7 year old OEM Toyo's were both loud, and firm riding. (No idea how the 1st owner took care of the tires, and we were replacing them due to age anyways.)
-The set of Michelin XZE*'s tires, have extra meat on the sidewall to protect agains curb kissing opportunities. Always felt safe, not bad on noise, but were even stiffer riding on the front end then the Toyo's. (Expansion joints, DOT's between the lanes, etc.)
-We had to replace 2 out our 8 XZE*'s at age 5, due to a pot hole encounter that broke a cord in one tire, and slipped a cord in the other. (Very good chance, that a less robust tire - would have had a blow out by this impact. So, I felt the XZE*'s gave me a safety edge - but paid for this in price, more stiff front end ride, and less MPG due to higher rolling resistance.)
-Tire shortage at the time. So ended up with 2 BF Goodrich ST230's, and put those new tires on the front/steers. They rode well, less stiff and you could tell the difference in a softer front end ride.
-We replace the other 6 XZE*'s earlier this year. Went with the Micheling XZA2. Put the ST230's on the tag. The XZA2's ride softer and quieter then the ST230's. Pleased with the choice, and they have less rolling resistance then any other others mentioned, so may yield slight increase in MPG over the years of usage.

Other tires that I was told by other DP's owners that I know, and respect, that provide good ride at a bit lower cost point - were the Hankook AH12 or AH11 depending upon the size you need. I for sure, would not have been concerned with putting them on the rear. So one option is Hankook on the rear, and Michelin on the Steers. (Save some money.) Or, Hankook all around - as again, I trust the feedback of the DP owners that told me to check them out...

So, their is my input!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

On my gasser had Good Year they were junk. Ran Hankooks much better tire.
I'm running Samons on DP in my sig. I would buy them or the Hankooks again.
Not a Michelin fan just purchased a 2016 Ford Edge that came with Michelins on it.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry226 View Post
I had Michelins and bought new Goodyears and I don't see how you could tell the difference with (air ride) suspension? Rides and drives great. I bought goodyears because they were still made in America and Michelins were not.

Michelins are made is the USA. They may have foreign plants.
My tire guy just visited their plant in the USA.

I have michelins on mine, bought through FMCA and shipped to dealer to install. Saved $150 per tire.
rampage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #8

For those looking to buy tires on the FMCA program, be aware that the Continental tire will be available soon. All that has to happen is the contract be signed and that might have already happened
Old 11-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
On my gasser had Good Year they were junk. Ran Hankooks much better tire.
I'm running Samons on DP in my sig. I would buy them or the Hankooks again.
Not a Michelin fan just purchased a 2016 Ford Edge that came with Michelins on it.
I have, over two years , finally made the switch from Michelins to Hankooks AH 12s 315 x 22.5. ( the Hankook drives , with new Alcoas go on next week.) not cheap at 4,000 $ 4 tires and 4 wheels , but still cheaper than Michelins even thru FMCA. I hated to switch Alcoas, but both tire Cos. Told me not to run 8.25 wide rims as came from CC. , that 9.00 is now considered proper. I replaced tag with 9s last year and steers fortunately we're already 9s. ( I was told CC had a factory recall on steer wheels and tires in the early 2000s ) ....... I do not think Michelins are really worth the price....that said , I just had my Porsche 911 in the tire shop for a rim leak. During the mounting the shop put a 4 inch slice in the sidewall of the pilot high speed 265x 18.....now I am shelling out another 300.00 for a matching drive tire as the shop buys the one they damaged......guess I will never get away from the Michelin man !!
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #10

darstar - Good to hear you repeat the Hankook's are treating you well!

And for sure, some of the BIG CC's moving from 8.25 to 9" rims provides both different options via 315/80's, and enhanced load handling weights too. But not all CC's require a move up from 8.25" rims. Our in comparison light weight 40' Allure, is more then supported with the 8.25" rims and nighter the 12R's or 295/80's tires. (That was my main reason for responding, as 8.25" rims are more then sufficient and safe for many of the CC's.)

Enjoy the Concept, and the 911!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 11-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #11

I will never put Toyo tires on our coach after I had two Toyos with tread separation on our '95 Affinity. Put two sets of Michelins on that coach--the last set was last year after good service for 7 years on the first set. Will not put anything but Michelins on this coach. Not worth saving a few bucks. Country Coach starting using 9" wide wheels when they went with 315's all around on Allures on up in 2008. Some of the earlier models used narrower rims on the drive and tag. You can put a 315 on a 8.25" wheel, but you get a reduction in allowable load carrying.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
darstar - Good to hear you repeat the Hankook's are treating you well!

And for sure, some of the BIG CC's moving from 8.25 to 9" rims provides both different options via 315/80's, and enhanced load handling weights too. But not all CC's require a move up from 8.25" rims. Our in comparison light weight 40' Allure, is more then supported with the 8.25" rims and nighter the 12R's or 295/80's tires. (That was my main reason for responding, as 8.25" rims are more then sufficient and safe for many of the CC's.)

Enjoy the Concept, and the 911!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Interesting , I am running 12Rs on tag and Hankook requires 9" wide rims as well, I think Michelin the same. It's quite noticeable looking side by side, front to back how the 9" wheels on the tag fill out the well area where my old Michelin 315s on drive do not. The big difference between 12Rs and 315s is the ply rating ( 16 ply compared to 20 ply ) Overall the actual inflated Dems are about the same, both sizes. Michelin did note that 12Rs can be used on 8.25 rims but at a much reduced weight rating. Hankook will not agree to using 12Rs or 315s on 8.25 rims period. It's been an interesting experience going thru all this , glad next week it will all be over. Thanks for the pleasant words.........
Old 11-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Interesting , I am running 12Rs on tag and Hankook requires 9" wide rims as well, I think Michelin the same. It's quite noticeable looking side by side, front to back how the 9" wheels on the tag fill out the well area where my old Michelin 315s on drive do not. The big difference between 12Rs and 315s is the ply rating ( 16 ply compared to 20 ply ) Overall the actual inflated Dems are about the same, both sizes. Michelin did note that 12Rs can be used on 8.25 rims but at a much reduced weight rating. Hankook will not agree to using 12Rs or 315s on 8.25 rims period. It's been an interesting experience going thru all this , glad next week it will all be over. Thanks for the pleasant words.........
We ran the Michelin XZE* 12R on 8.25 22.5 without derating the PSI? I may somehow be miss reading the Michelin PSI chart, but I do not see a reference to derating 12R for 8.15? I could have run the 315/80 on the steers and the tags, with derating. But Duals on our coach would have had spacing problems with the 315/80's.

From memory, I believe that the AH12's were spec'd by Hankook to be on 9" rims. Suspect that is what you were referring to?

Fortunately, at the lighter weight of our coach, 12R's and or the 295/80's (Michelin XZA2) tires run at I feel reasonably inflated levels. Even with adding 10% above the inflation charts PSI level (Four corner weight by Escapees Smart Weight Program.), the highest is the Steers which could run at 100 PSI (90 + 9 = 99. Rounded to 100. But I sometimes still bump that up to 105, to allow plenty of gradual loss of air pressure while on extended trips.)

Duals and Tags could run at 75 PSI, and I really round these up quite a bit too, and set them to 90 PSI.

Load Range H are a pretty robust set of rubber! So I feel the 12R's or 295/80 size tires are more safe for the duty they perform on our coach.

Tires sure seem to fodder incredible dialog by us RV'er's! Heck, almost as many opinions as between Chevy vs Ford, or Dino vs Syn!

All any of us can do, research and hopefully with help from a competent tire shop - make a decision that is both safe for our needs, and fits our budgets!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 11-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
We ran the Michelin XZE* 12R on 8.25 22.5 without derating the PSI? I may somehow be miss reading the Michelin PSI chart, but I do not see a reference to derating 12R for 8.15? I could have run the 315/80 on the steers and the tags, with derating. But Duals on our coach would have had spacing problems with the 315/80's.

From memory, I believe that the AH12's were spec'd by Hankook to be on 9" rims. Suspect that is what you were referring to?

Fortunately, at the lighter weight of our coach, 12R's and or the 295/80's (Michelin XZA2) tires run at I feel reasonably inflated levels. Even with adding 10% above the inflation charts PSI level (Four corner weight by Escapees Smart Weight Program.), the highest is the Steers which could run at 100 PSI (90 + 9 = 99. Rounded to 100. But I sometimes still bump that up to 105, to allow plenty of gradual loss of air pressure while on extended trips.)

Duals and Tags could run at 75 PSI, and I really round these up quite a bit too, and set them to 90 PSI.

Load Range H are a pretty robust set of rubber! So I feel the 12R's or 295/80 size tires are more safe for the duty they perform on our coach.

Tires sure seem to fodder incredible dialog by us RV'er's! Heck, almost as many opinions as between Chevy vs Ford, or Dino vs Syn!

All any of us can do, research and hopefully with help from a competent tire shop - make a decision that is both safe for our needs, and fits our budgets!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
I read the same chart on the 12R Michelins on 8.25 rims. My problem is my local tire shop ( Pomps Tire ) told me not to put 12Rs on drive axle because of the weight on the axle. It seem only Michelin allows 12R to run on 8.25 rims. On the road l do have the fear of an inside duel blowing out. It happened to me once and took out air bags , inter fenders, insulation side lights...was a real mess , so it seems I feel most content with overkill. .....and yes , the discussion continues, always will be it MPG , tire wear , brand , make of vehicle , on and on.