Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
TTD

Adding a manual window awning?

I love my manual window awnings that are over most of my windows. Simply pull down and attach the strap and they are very sturdy.

Unfortunately, on my Passenger Main Slide - where the large power awning is - CC did not give me any window awning.

The window awnings work great to keep sun from heating up the coach, and they are much sturdier than the power awning, so I feel better about leaving them out when away from the coach.

So... has anyone had a window awning added? It appears there is a strip that runs the full length of the awning that needs to be screwed into the coach - then two more brackets to hold the arms.

Anyone know if you have to find a "stud" to attach the arms to? Do slide rooms actually have "studs" in them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning1.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	209678   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning2.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	209679  

TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

Looks like we have the same paint job. Have the same issue, mine is on the Drivers Side.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I added one on my Allure. It covers the window over the sofa and the galley window. Ordered it from Carefree thru local independent RV repair shop. Installed myself. Not hard if you don't mind drilling holes in your coach.

Carefree could not match the gold anodized hardware that my coach has so ordered white and had local body shop paint the arms and roller cover to match coach. Looks great, works great.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I added one on my Allure. It covers the window over the sofa and the galley window. Ordered it from Carefree thru local independent RV repair shop. Installed myself. Not hard if you don't mind drilling holes in your coach. .
Did you try to find "studs" in the wall or is the skin strong enough?

Safe to assume these are just screws? Drill a pilot hole and then put in the screws? Everything is done from the outside, correct?
Old 07-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Did you try to find "studs" in the wall or is the skin strong enough?

Safe to assume these are just screws? Drill a pilot hole and then put in the screws? Everything is done from the outside, correct?
Comes with some really good rivets that are designed for thin stuff like fiberglass. Those are for the arm brackets and they hold very well.

The rail at the top has many holes and is attached with screws. I drilled pilot holes for those. Use butyl tape under the hardware plus bead of caulk at top of rail.

Placement of hardware is dictated by how the awning is located so if you hit any steel framing it would be random and not necessary.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #6
TTD

Perfect, thank you
Old 07-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #7

Correction I have a awning on the drivers side would love one on the passenger side.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I added one on my Allure. It covers the window over the sofa and the galley window. Ordered it from Carefree thru local independent RV repair shop. Installed myself. Not hard if you don't mind drilling holes in your coach.

Carefree could not match the gold anodized hardware that my coach has so ordered white and had local body shop paint the arms and roller cover to match coach. Looks great, works great.
Are your other awnings also Carefree? Mine are Zip Dee on the windows and I would use an awning on the passenger side living room window way more often than the powered awning as like you I don't like leaving it out unless I'm there. It has a wind sensor but I guess I just don't trust it.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

Mine are all Carefree of Colorado. The large awning is a Eclipse XL, which is broken and is no longer manufactured. The replacement is not acceptable.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
Mine are all Carefree of Colorado. The large awning is a Eclipse XL, which is broken and is no longer manufactured. The replacement is not acceptable.

My main awning and all the window awnings (plus the slide toppers) are also Carefree of Colorado.

Have you considered replacing the power main awning with a manual awning? I think most of the powered awnings are nearly useless and way too wind sensitive. I had a good manual awning on both of my previous motorhomes and I plan to investigate going to a manual if/when the automatic awning fails.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #11

No, I have not thought of that. Going to be calling Carefree sometime in the near future, maybe October. Someone told me the rumor is they will be making them in 2019. Not holding my breath. Also, plan to visit Eric O. around the same time. Be interested in what he says.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #12

I had 2 installed by ShadePro. I don't know about studs or not? They installed and did a great job. Been 3 years and no issues.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
No, I have not thought of that. Going to be calling Carefree sometime in the near future, maybe October. Someone told me the rumor is they will be making them in 2019. Not holding my breath. Also, plan to visit Eric O. around the same time. Be interested in what he says.

What did you mean when you said the replacement was not acceptable? Is the new style of Carefree automatic awning so different that it will not fit on the coach? I've heard that the newer style of auto awnings mount differently to our rigs than the OEM and leaves holes that would require body work to cover. Is that the issue?
Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #14

Shorter arms and cover

Tags
awning, manual, window