Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:27 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Adding Solar panels

Folks I"m investigating the installation on Solar Panels to the roof of my coach and wondered if there is a drawing or knowledge regarding where the panels can be added. I'm hoping there are structural supports within the roof to fasten the panels to.
2001 40 foot Country Coach Intrigue #11294.
GMC Terrain and Avalanche toads
Ozzsp250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #2

You can install panels where ever they fit. Mine are screwed down to the plywood underneath the fiberglass roof as are most other installations. By using 3M double sided tape, some Dicor and stainless screws, the panels will not come off
Old 11-26-2021, 09:16 PM   #3

My eight panels are simply affixed with 3M VHB tape, with Dicor over the feet of the mounts to keep the tape edges from being exposed to weather. No screws. AM Solar in Oregon did the installation and they've been using only the VHB tape for many years (thousands of installations) and have never had a panel come loose. As Don said, you can put the panels wherever they'll best fit.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:00 PM   #4

AM Solar did my install also. I know the fiberglass "floats" on top of the luan backing so I wanted then screwed down
Old 11-27-2021, 06:40 AM   #5

For those of you who only use tape and Dicor, good for you, but the idea of a solar panel flying off my roof at 60 miles an hour into someoneís windshield sounds like a nightmare. Mine are screwed down and Dicored. If nothing else I feel better about it.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2011 Subaru Outback Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:26 AM   #6

Is there a solar 101 thread on here somewhere, as I would like to start with a couple panels and possibly grow it from there later.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Is there a solar 101 thread on here somewhere, as I would like to start with a couple panels and possibly grow it from there later.
There are frequent discussions on solar systems and installs on Go Green forum on this site
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/.

Additionally, amsolar.com has wealth of 101 info, worth reading.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #8

Solar panels.

Not sure you are doing yourself or not. Wouldnít hurt to get a couple estimates and discuss what your future plans are as far as adding in the future. You arenít far from Discount solar in Quartsite and there is another solar company in Senators Wash area at the Christian Center nearby Imperial Dam. I have heard they are good sources for solar. At least you will get some good advice as far as Starting out and which charging units may be better than others. I went with adjustable panels on my previous Lazy Daze which tilted and this was beneficial in the winter. Some panels are affixed to the roof which donít allow this adjustment. Good luck, Travato John.
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #9

I installed my own, 8x200 watt panels. 3M VHB under the brackets and Eternabond over the brackets, no screws. I have tugged them, and have 10,000 miles on them, and they will not come off unless the roof comes with them.
'01 Country Coach Affinity 42 #6012 Cat C12
16 Wrangler
sbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:34 PM   #10

I installed my own kit from AM solar. They are attached with 3M VHB tape, later covered with Dicor. Additionally, the cables are routed and attached with VHB "sticky back" tye-wrap units. At those cable attachment points, Dicor was used again to ensure they never see moisture. Finally, Everbond tape was used to further control wire routes. AM Solar's kit included every little piece needed for the install except for the Everbond tape.

I made a cardboard cutout of a panel to help me with selecting the locations of the panels. What I suggest is laying them out, using the cardboard patterns, in such a manner that you will have a safe walking path for later maintenance access to your A/C units and anywhere else you want to walk to. Every roof layout seems unique to me, so there is little use in following someone else's photos. If you have someone else install panels, be sure you communicate that you want safe and easy access to all the roof items for whoever need access in the future. I found a way to do this without having to walk near the edge of the roof.

Edit: VHB tape, maybe only for fiberglass roofs.

I am not afraid of them coming off unless I scrape them off at the infamous 11'-8" bridge (search that on Youtube sometime )

Tags
solar, panel, solar panel, solar panels