Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
When considering deep cycle batteries, I tend to think of batteries for fork trucks and golf carts.

Those vehicles depend on long battery operating cycles, unlike starting batteries and marine dual purpose batteries.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #16

gctexas, I agree with some of the forgoing and disagree some comments. I found a bulk battery supplier back 4-5 years ago who shipped a palette of four Lifeline sealed batteries. I engaged a freelance RV mechanic to install them and this was a bitch of a job! I suggest this is not a DIY job and that you have a pro do the work.

First, these batteries each weigh as much as a human and you need to be a WWE champ to muscle them in. If you drop one, it's history. If it hits your foot, you'e a cripple. If you short it out wiring it up, serious burns follow. You can ground a batter, put a welding rod on the pos...and weld to your heart's content.

Second, If your battery box is close to your inverter, the last thing you want is a wet battery where the off-gassing will play hell with sensitive electronics.

I don't care what anyone says about gold cart batteries, el-cheapo 8-Ds from a big box store aren't worth the possible consequences of off-gassing, watering systems that can go wrong.

You have a nice coach, do things right and you won't be sorry. Lifeline is the battery of choice for good reason. They're bullet proof.

By the way, I installed 2 Omega sealed batteries and a new 12v trickle charger for sealed batteries as my chassis (Start) batteries. My chassis batteries are completely separate from the house batts and they discharge without the trickle charger. You can't easily check the charge levels of the chassis batteries. My advice: Don't mess with el-cheapo chassis batteries.You're not driving a pickup truck.

Good luck. You other guys out there, take a shot at this. Fewer people have bad results from doing things right, that others who don't.

Following winds and smooth roads.
2005 CC Allure 470 #31177, full-timer and painter Tom, his "kids" -- 2 African greys & a happy Havanese greeter-pup -- lugging way too much kit and being pushed by 8Birds, a wee Mini Cooper 6-speed toad
8Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #17

If you want most economical a flooded lead acid battery is it. For house a pair of 6V gold cart battys will be your best bet and will run <$1/ AH using 2 6V GCs around 200+ AH and <$100 easy gives you 200 AH at 12V for <$200.

For start 2 GP 31 FLAs are roughly equal to that 8D in CCA.

If you want to consider AHMs both of the above are available in AGM maint free, no corrosion, for <$2 / AH.

I have recently gotten confirmation from the East Penn tech rep that in the AGM line the GCs and GP 31s have the same plate design and both provide the same deep cycle and start capability so you can run both start & house with the same batty type with no penalty.

Reason I was interested & inquired was I am looking at future replacement of boat AGM battys that are now 2 8Ds for house and 1 8D for start/ thruster and I am NOT going to but & install any more 8Ds. By using the same batty type I figure I'd have more flexibility if 1 or more get weak or fail I may be able to combine with other existing of same type / age and only need to replace either house or start with new. I have yet to decide which but I have made the decision that all replacements will be the same size/ type AGMs.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
If you want most economical a flooded lead acid battery is it. For house a pair of 6V gold cart battys will be your best bet and will run <$1/ AH using 2 6V GCs around 200+ AH and <$100 easy gives you 200 AH at 12V for <$200.

For start 2 GP 31 FLAs are roughly equal to that 8D in CCA.

If you want to consider AHMs both of the above are available in AGM maint free, no corrosion, for <$2 / AH.

I have recently gotten confirmation from the East Penn tech rep that in the AGM line the GCs and GP 31s have the same plate design and both provide the same deep cycle and start capability so you can run both start & house with the same batty type with no penalty.

Reason I was interested & inquired was I am looking at future replacement of boat AGM battys that are now 2 8Ds for house and 1 8D for start/ thruster and I am NOT going to but & install any more 8Ds. By using the same batty type I figure I'd have more flexibility if 1 or more get weak or fail I may be able to combine with other existing of same type / age and only need to replace either house or start with new. I have yet to decide which but I have made the decision that all replacements will be the same size/ type AGMs.

Ok, I installed 4 AGM 6v batteries today. To make them 12v I went red to black on each pair, then connected it the way the 8Ds were. Hope I did this right but the inverter seemed happy and the charge was correct. Here’s a pic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2161.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	567.1 KB
ID:	291667
gctexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Nice job on the connections.

Are you going to tie them down? When rig is moving, especially in an emergency situation, without fastening they could shift.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctexas View Post
Ok, I installed 4 AGM 6v batteries today. To make them 12v I went red to black on each pair, then connected it the way the 8Ds were. Hope I did this right but the inverter seemed happy and the charge was correct. Here’s a pic.
Attachment 291667
[emoji106]
Looks good. I couldn't tell for sure but looks like main cables to couch Pos from one set of battys and Neg from the other set. If so that's best. Everything will work if both from same set but load & charge not as balanced.
Although many marine / RV battys come with wing nuts I'm not a fan and replace them with SS hex nuts. Less chance of vibrating loose.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #21

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'm in the process of replacing my three 8Ds with three more 8Ds. For the chassis I picked up a Duracell AGM from Batteries+ for $200 (including $60 core charge refund) and I've got two Lifeline AGMs arriving for the house today, $1443 delivered.

I obviously can't talk to the Lifelines but their reputation is gold. The Duracell cranks the big kitty right fine.

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #22

battery change

D O'Rielly's sells AGM for $450. each i purchased 3 and negotiated a 10% discount. The lead acid batteries need maintenance and mine had "leaked" on battery tray damaging metal. I wound up by a piece of plate steel and covering the step down part batteries set in to put new batteries on.

Lead Acid are less expensive and just fine just to be sure to check water levels on a regular basis. Batteries last about 5 years and difference between lead acid and agm was $600.00 which works out about 10.00 a month, for me worth it to get rid of maintenance. Stay Safe.
lbfrombigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #23

I put in Yellowtop AGM batteries and they failed

Replaced with Universal Power AGM’s ($180 on Amazon): been in a year and great so far.
TriCitySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #24

I recently purchased (2) AGM - 8D batteries for under $1300 and they installed them for free! Any battery I've purchased, they would install for free and that includes California where I lived for 60+ years!
RJPerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, batteries