Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:04 PM   #1

Air Bags

I have a 98 Country Coach Intrigue that needs air bags all the way around. How do I tell what is on this Dynomax chassis?
dliterski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #2

If you can use the below listed link to determine what suspension systems you have, any good suspension or chassis shop can order the proper bags for you. I am using Thurston Spring Service in Richmond Va. right now to replace all 4 air bags on my '01 Intrigue. They have ordered the bags and will call later this week to set up day to bring coach in for replacement.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...5&d=1625131795
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Once your bags have been installed and you know the part number of them would you mind sharing that information?

I plan on doing my own and I believe my rear height control valves are a problem, they currently will not dump air whereas I can manually raise and lower the front. All three will be replaced prior to air bag change and the system sorted out. I have changed the front shocks [due to breakage] and will change the rear as well.

Thursday we leave on a camping trip but taking our travel trailer, booking were made a while back. The current plan will be to sell the trailer after the trip.

Dennis

2001 Intrigue #11294
Ozzsp250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Also is this statement correct?

"With the coach on a level surface, is a level coach the same as a coach with the correct ride height?"

If not, is the coach in a nose up or nose down attitude when the ride height is correct?
Ozzsp250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #5

On my 1997 Allure on a Dyno Max chassih I used for the front air bags- Goodyear #1R12-555 These are the replacement bags for the original Firestone bags that are no longer available.

For the rear I used Firestone w01-358-9219

Bought the bags from Stengel Brothers 888-433-3149
They were very knowledgeable and had a good supply of air bags.

Dennis
suzygirl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzsp250 View Post
Once your bags have been installed and you know the part number of them would you mind sharing that information?

I plan on doing my own and I believe my rear height control valves are a problem, they currently will not dump air whereas I can manually raise and lower the front. All three will be replaced prior to air bag change and the system sorted out. I have changed the front shocks [due to breakage] and will change the rear as well.

Thursday we leave on a camping trip but taking our travel trailer, booking were made a while back. The current plan will be to sell the trailer after the trip

Dennis

2001 Intrigue #11294

I will be happy to provide you with the part numbers. I am replacing all four bags, both rear and the single front leveling valves and the rear shocks. I have already done the front shocks my self.

Look, I do most work myself but this is a BIG JOB. The rear wheels and tires (I feel) need to come off to replace the shocks. Can't get to the upper mount with the tires in place. You are going to need to support the weight of the chassis and be able to lower the differential in order to replace the bags. This is heavy stuff and you are under the bus while doing all of this. If you have the equipment and proper surface to do it, I envy you but if not, it's a job best left for a pro. Don't get hurt doing this.

The replacement is nothing special, it just the handling of the bus and not dropping the thing on yourself that's the tricky part.

I hope to have mine completed next week. Bags should be here this week and will get it in shop asap after they arrive.

Yes, I would consider the bus level on level ground at ride height. Leveling system should not change anything at that point. I have thrown a carpenter's level on the kitchen counter before and if it's level front to back and side to side, I don't even bother with the leveling system.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
If you can use the below listed link to determine what suspension systems you have, any good suspension or chassis shop can order the proper bags for you. I am using Thurston Spring Service in Richmond Va. right now to replace all 4 air bags on my '01 Intrigue. They have ordered the bags and will call later this week to set up day to bring coach in for replacement.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...5&d=1625131795
What bags does your coach use? So far it appears my 2002 allure requires 7667 and 9336. I'm having them installed in Indiana. No problems now and don't want any.
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Also is this statement correct?

"With the coach on a level surface, is a level coach the same as a coach with the correct ride height?"

If not, is the coach in a nose up or nose down attitude when the ride height is correct?
Ride height is correct when the measurements shown in the Ride Height pdf are correct. Procedure is to do the rear first, then the front, then recheck and adjust rear, then recheck front which should be OK.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #9

Would one expect to find the correct air bag part numbers in the Chassis manual that came with the coach? I don't have the book in front of me, it is with the coach 1200 miles away from me.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:

Thursday we leave on a camping trip but taking our travel trailer, booking were made a while back. The current plan will be to sell the trailer after the trip.

Dennis

2001 Intrigue #11294
Will do...
This is what I have so far:
Fleet pride AS8964 for the front AS9223 Back
The above also cross ref to: 1R12-556 Front 1R12-188

There is a very good resource called Premier RV in the Northwest. They used to sell and they were instrumental in the design and manufacturing of Country Coach. https://www.premierrvservices.com/

They told me the bags were made by Firestone and the part numbers are 8964 for the front and 9223 for the rear. There is also another set of numbers to cross reference which are W01-358-8964 and W01-358-9223.

I hope this works or at least a start.....You can use those numbers and find the bags on Ebay.....prices are all over the place.
dliterski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
What bags does your coach use? So far it appears my 2002 allure requires 7667 and 9336. I'm having them installed in Indiana. No problems now and don't want any.
Thurston Spring Service ordered them for me from their supplier out of Pa. I don't have the numbers yet as they ordered them for me using the suspension info from the ride height info sheet. This same rear suspension was used in some Western Star trucks in the past according to Thurston's shop foreman. My track arm bushings as showing some ware and will likely be replaced at the same time as the other work is performed. Your numbers look similar to what Old Biskit provided to me.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:00 AM   #12

Dennis - at the risk of sounding like Debbie Downer it sounds like you may not have ride height valve problems but HWH problems. The HWH leveling system valves are in the air line ahead of the chassis ride height valves. You can call HWH for troubleshooting assistance. (It may take a couple weeks to hear back from them) Dumping or raising are functions of the HWH system not the chassis ride height valves. And conversely, in some failure scenarios the chassis ride height valves won't work because the HWH valves are malfunctioning - not passing air to them.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:

Dennis

2001 Intrigue #11294
I just picked my coach up today from Thurston Spring Service. I am beyond happy with the improvement in handling and ride. We also found that the rear track bar (or torque bar) was worn and needed replaced. This was allowing the rear end to move side to side as I traveled down the road.

Here are the part numbers that were used on my 40' 2001 Intrigue.

Rear Air springs AB1DK23I-8802(1)

Front Air springs 9366

Track Bar AUT TMR527 Adj. 22.500 in width.

Rear Shocks NAP 66886 Gas Series HD Shock (believed to be Monroe brand)

Note: I had purchased Koni shocks for the rear, but they were incorrect and I did not want to hold up the show, so went with the readily available Monroe's which, by the way, were a direct fit, and a fraction of the $$$.

If you are anywhere near the Richmond, Virginia Area and have need of any chassis or front end work, I cannot recommend Thurston Spring Service Any stronger. They have been in business since 1911 and the 5th generation is now working in the shop. Chassis work is all they do, and NO ONE is better.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
I just picked my coach up today from Thurston Spring Service. I am beyond happy with the improvement in handling and ride. We also found that the rear track bar (or torque bar) was worn and needed replaced. This was allowing the rear end to move side to side as I traveled down the road.

Here are the part numbers that were used on my 40' 2001 Intrigue.

Rear Air springs AB1DK23I-8802(1)

Front Air springs 9366

Track Bar AUT TMR527 Adj. 22.500 in width.

Rear Shocks NAP 66886 Gas Series HD Shock (believed to be Monroe brand)

Note: I had purchased Koni shocks for the rear, but they were incorrect and I did not want to hold up the show, so went with the readily available Monroe's which, by the way, were a direct fit, and a fraction of the $$$.

If you are anywhere near the Richmond, Virginia Area and have need of any chassis or front end work, I cannot recommend Thurston Spring Service Any stronger. They have been in business since 1911 and the 5th generation is now working in the shop. Chassis work is all they do, and NO ONE is better.
Glad to hear you got it done with a great success! Filing away the shop and the parts info.
Is 1 at the end of AB1DK23I-8802(1) part of part no or the number of units you installed? (I'd assume you have installed both sides).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air