Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #1

Air Dryer Re-Location

I have a project that I have been considering since shortly after my 2017 purchase of a 2007 Allure, specifically, right after I changed fluids & filters. I was very surprised to find that when I set out to replace the cartridge on the air dryer, it is mounted directly in front of the differential.

My previous RV, a 1997 Monaco Windsor, had the air dryer mounted on the inside of the right-hand-side frame rail, to the right side of the Allison, just rearward of the rear wheel well. It was easy to get at & service, so what was CC thinking? On my Allure, I just pulled the entire assembly out & replaced the complete air dryer unit. Oh boy, I could hardly wait for the next desiccant cartridge replacement!

Anyway, I am planning to relocate the entire air dryer assembly to the left of the 2 fuel filters that are mounted on the steel cross member just inside of the rear fiberglass cap & just below the engine access door opening. Moving both fuel filters/water separator slightly to the right will give me plenty of room & make future replacement of the cartridge much, much, much easier.

Has anyone else moved their air dryer? Any suggestions or concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks, Felix

2007 CC Allure Sunset Bay 37'
fstruys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 01:50 PM   #2

Great Idea going to follow this one

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We did it all the time when building our line trucks for the electric utility.
Mainly because of clearance issues with the body install, outriggers etc, certainly not for ease of service. Will the labor spent to move it ever pencil out in labor saved the few times it will require service?
Suppose only you can answer that question, but located ahead of the diff in no mans land seems like an odd location for an airdryer.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Supposed to be a constant downhill slope from the compressor output, to the dryer input.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #5

As it is currently mounted, it appears to be slightly uphill from the compressor. If I move it to the engine compartment, I believe that it will be slightly lower, but I will get an accurate height measurement from my shop floor to the current location, to the compressor output fitting & to the new location.

I have changed just the cartridge this past summer so that's twice that I've been under the differential in 4 years. If I do the labor myself & the hoses are fairly inexpensive, probably well under $100, I will be very happy the next time I replace the cartridge!

Thanks, Felix

2007 CC Allure 37' Sunset Bay
Old 04-02-2022, 12:21 PM   #6

Phew, finally! I completed my air dryer relocation project and it cost less than $100 in materials. I decided that crawling under the RV, even with two 25 ton jack stands, two 25 ton bottle jacks and two stacks of 4" thick blocks of 12" x 24" oak, given to me years ago by a member of one of Burlington Northern's derailment teams, never made me feel comfortable!

I still can't imagine why Country Coach would mount the air dryer in front of the differential? Anyway, here is a photo of it's new location. I moved the two fuel filters/ water separator slightly to the right making room for the air dryer. It might be a stretch to say that I can hardly wait 'til it's time to service the dryer!

I also completed another "wish list" project that I have envisioned since buying my Allure. With my previous RV, a 1997 Monaco Windsor without slides, I could add water to the fresh water tank by opening the PS-side, utility bay door and pouring water from my 6-gallon Rubbermaid jugs into the gravity-fill water tank inlet.

On my Allure, because of the slides, the utility bay door only opens about 90 degrees, making the gravity-fill water tank fill port pretty much useless. So, by adding a 3-port L-type ball valve and a little re-plumbing, I can place my 6-gallon water jugs on the ground near the open utility bay door insert a short hose and use the existing water pump to suck the water out of the jug & into the water tank! A side project involved my adding temperature control to my water sprayer to rinse the the sand of my grand kids' feet with warm water. They HATED the cold water rinse after playing on the beach!

Twenty-five years ago, holding up and pouring four 6-gallon water jugs into my Monaco wasn't that big a deal. Now that I'm lazier (and older), this makes dry camping so much easier!

Felix & Becky, 2007 Allure Sunset Bay 37', #31448
Vancouver, WA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Dryer Relocate.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	361086   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW utility bay panel.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	361087  

Old 04-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #7

The chassis builder follows the air dryers instructions to keep it away from heat over about 165 degrees and also running the compressor discharge line downhill to prevent water traps that may freeze.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:00 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a hard time believing you are downstream of your air compressor. Hope that doesn't come back to bite you in the long run.
Good luck.

Tags
air, cat