Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Air fitting for toad air braking?

I thought I read that CC's have air line fittings in the rear for installation of toad air braking systems (M&G Engineering, in our case).

We can't find a fitting. Any guidance you could give would be appreciated!

2000 Magna
2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #2

This isn't going to be a lot of help - but I had M&G install a fitting on my coach when they installed the system in the toad. I've never gone under and looked at where they tapped into the system or how it was installed but it has worked perfectly for the past 10 years. To the best of my knowledge there was no pre-existing fitting installed by CC, but rather a matter of tapping into the chassis air brake system for an air fitting installed on the back of the coach.

You might give M&G a call - or if you're anywhere around Athens, TX, stop in.

Dan
2000 Magna #5788
dsiedschlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

Thanks, Dan. We found the spot to install the M&G air line, on the axle. The M&G installation instructions turned out to actually cover that pretty well (hubby hadn't read it when I posted, argh).

The challenge now - & we've talked to M&G about it - is that the toad side of the install is pretty intense, requiring moving a bunch of stuff to shove the M&G cylinder in there, then bend the hard brake lines (eek). The tech on the phone was pretty cavalier about it, but my husband (who is a 25 year experienced master mechanic) was not, saying it will be a permanent install...if it even fits (currently looks like it will not). It would be great if M&G had more/better support info, such as videos, better vehicle installation docs, etc. Seems like a great product, just tough for installers, from what we've seen, so far.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

I've had 2 M&G units. It isn't M&G that puts so much stuff around the master cylinder. And while bending brake lines sounds difficult it isn't. Depending on how much your application needs to bend, buy a tubing bender and use it to keep from kinking the lines. (I had to take the tubing bender apart and use just the mandrel on one install.)

My experience is that if they say it will fit and work, it will.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #5

Did you install a ping tank? or are they not required with the M&G setup? Just curious as we installed an Airforce One unit and a DOT certified ping tank was included with the system

Thanks,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #6

If you post the model of car perhaps a reader can send a picture. Our first install was done at a rally in the parking lot and they didnt disconnect the lines but pulled the master cylinder forward. When i did our colorado i found i needed to pull the lines forward down by the frame to get better slack. I ended up putting a ratchet strap on the lines since they were so stiff. the first install was a toyota and the lines were softer.
Great system once installed.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #7

Greg/gnrvin - according to M&G install instructions, an additional tank not required.

IASM - 2011 Jeep Liberty. Got better instructions & photo from M&G. It shipped with instructions for a Wrangler, even though we specified for our Liberty. It will hopefully shoehorn in there!

Like a few of you have said, it (seems like) a great system, far preferable to an electric inertia type.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #8

It isn't an easy installation. Our first jeep was set up by an M&G authorized shop. No problems. Our second jeep was setup by a very competent automotive service center. It took them a bit of time to figure it out, even with the first jeep sitting there as a guide! You gotta be willing to really force some stuff around to make things fit.

Not sure what a ping tank is. However, part of our installation is a small tank that serves as reserve air for a break away situation.

It is a great system! So seamless.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #9

Petrel,
Ping tank is a reservoir tank that is on the chassis side in case of air supply failure in the coach. Springs apply brakes fully at around 20PSI so coach stops . The tank will still supply the toad air brake system during this occurrence.

And you are correct I like the ease of setup with our AFO air bake system the M&G must be the same.

Once it is setup and adjusted properly ya cant beat em

greg
Old 11-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
we just bought our coach. It is a 2000 CC Intrigue 36'. the airline for the toad is a little left and up from the trailer wiring receptacle. It is mounted on a small bracket and attached to the bottom of the rear of what would be considered the bumper area, although there really isn't a bumper. Left side of the receiver hitch. hope this helps.
Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrell View Post
we just bought our coach. It is a 2000 CC Intrigue 36'. the airline for the toad is a little left and up from the trailer wiring receptacle. It is mounted on a small bracket and attached to the bottom of the rear of what would be considered the bumper area, although there really isn't a bumper. Left side of the receiver hitch. hope this helps.

Yours was mounted after market, not a factory install. CC did not install air" out the back" for brakes
Old 11-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #12

Before I purchased our M&G unit, I watched some youtube videos on the subject.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I made my own out of a 1.5” X 4” air cylinder I had. Takes 20 seconds to put the rope around the brake pedal (hangs at the bottom of the pedal) and plug the airline into the quick connection. Need to bleed the brake boost off or it will put the toad’s brakes on too hard the first time. Tapped into one of the tags air chambers (extra plug on it) and reduced to a 3/16” airline ...compressor will keep up with this small a leak if something breaks. Have less than $40 in it...mainly airlines and fittings. The black strap (rubber tarp bungee) pulls it back releasing the brakes.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I made my own out of a 1.5” X 4” air cylinder I had. Takes 20 seconds to put the rope around the brake pedal (hangs at the bottom of the pedal) and plug the airline into the quick connection. Need to bleed the brake boost off or it will put the toad’s brakes on too hard the first time. Tapped into one of the tags air chambers (extra plug on it) and reduced to a 3/16” airline ...compressor will keep up with this small a leak if something breaks. Have less than $40 in it...mainly airlines and fittings. The black strap(rubber tarp bungee) pulls it back releasing the brakes.

That's pretty ingenious
But myself, I would be concerned about insurance coverage should something happen, do the fact that it most likely does not meet federal regulations (FMVSS 121) i.e. break away protection and the coaches air system.

But ingenious none the less

greg

Tags
air, toad