Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #15

Would an electrical sell annoyed shut off switch work if it was jammed in the on position?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegully View Post
Would an electrical sell annoyed shut off switch work if it was jammed in the on position?

No, it would not. This thread made it clear to me that two things are needed to address two separate potential problems; 1) an ON/OFF switch to protect against either inadvertent blasting of the horn or a stuck horn button/contact and 2) a manual inline shutoff valve on the air line going to the horns in the event of a mechanically stuck solenoid.

I’ve already added the ON/OFF switch but now plan to add a simple ball valve to the air line between the solenoid and the horns. Super easy thing to do. I have to confirm, but I think the line is 1/4” ID.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #17

That is solenoid. I was using voice dictation.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #18

Rsponsford is right, a simple ball valve will eliminate the air flow to the horn. It is a 1/4” fitting and I will be installing all the new parts (new 12VDC solenoid and manual air shut off valve) on Sunday.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #19

I am having the exact same issue. Left on a trip last Tuesday and once the air system filled the horn stated blowing. I crawled under and tapped on the horn with a wrench, and it quit blowing. So, does anyone know if there is some, additional solenoid in the horn itself or could my tapping have put some sort of back pressure on the air line to have unstuck the main solenoid in the DS front compartment?
Sshelton11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Nickels View Post
I located the failed part in the bay beneath the drivers seat. Now I just need to find the replacement part. Attachment 289728

I managed to put the new solenoid and manual shut off valve in the coach today. All tested and working. Now all that is left is a sign indicating what the valve is for. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4832.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	290520
Old 06-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshelton11 View Post
I am having the exact same issue. Left on a trip last Tuesday and once the air system filled the horn stated blowing. I crawled under and tapped on the horn with a wrench, and it quit blowing. So, does anyone know if there is some, additional solenoid in the horn itself or could my tapping have put some sort of back pressure on the air line to have unstuck the main solenoid in the DS front compartment?

I did read on my chassis air schematics the air horns do have a solenoid in them. What I couldn’t understand was with no wiring going to the horns how possibly could it work?
Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 PM   #22

Some air horns have a solenoid attached to the horn they would have the air and electrical run too the horn. I believe all cc motor homes have the horns on the roof and the solenoid located remotely under the coach or in the front area in which case the electric And air is routed to the solenoid and air only run to the roof horns from the solenoid
Old 06-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #23

And some air horns work off of the Smart Wheel
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #24

I was finally able to install a new solenoid this evening and that solved my issue. Apparently the old one was stuck partially open and when I tapped on the horn itself it was causing the diaphragm to close off the air flow. But after installation all is working as originally intended. Thank you all for your help.
Sshelton11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshelton11 View Post
I was finally able to install a new solenoid this evening and that solved my issue. Apparently the old one was stuck partially open and when I tapped on the horn itself it was causing the diaphragm to close off the air flow. But after installation all is working as originally intended. Thank you all for your help.
Thank you for the confirmation follow up. Too often we don't hear back.

Many happy and safe miles for you!
Old 06-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #26

I suggest that you exercise your air horns on each trip. Just to make sure they will work when needed and to perhaps clear the valve seat on the solenoid or tell you there are insect deposits in the horns.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
I suggest that you exercise your air horns on each trip. Just to make sure they will work when needed and to perhaps clear the valve seat on the solenoid or tell you there are insect deposits in the horns.
That's kinda been my approach over the years, but this thread has me nervous about that, as I can't imagine trying to get pulled in somewhere with the horns blowing while I try to figure out how to get them disconnected. I like the manual shutoff valve option, just not sure it fits in the priority list. All told, I think the periodic exercise option is still the best plan. Plus, the kids still seem to get a laugh out of them when there's nothing else in sight.
2000 Country Coach Affinity #5695, 42' double slide Bed & Breakfast
All-electric, 455HP Cat C-12, tag axle
Tucson Arizona
gruse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air