Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #1

Air Leak?

Good Morning, I hope everyone is safe and healthy. I am hoping someone can answer my questions. I bought a 95 intrigue about a year ago and have been remodeling it since then. When I first bought it I had new tires and all four suspension airbags replaced. I took it out for a drive today and the air pressure goes up to 120 and after a few minutes it falls to 100 and then goes right back up to 120. I figured that may be normal during driving. When I got back from my 50 drive I let it idle for about 10 minutes and in that time the air went back down to 100 and then up to 120. Is this a slow leak? I know when I have driven it periodically over the last 12 months it would take a few days for the air to go down to about 60psi. I couldn't hear any air leaking under the coach when I turned it off today

thanks
Mark
M725611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #2

If sitting stationary, with the engine running, the air compressor should not cycle for at least 15 minutes or so.

If you see your gauges dropping and recovering, you have a leak that you should be able to hear, right after you shut the engine off.

If the gauges are holding, and the dryer is purging often, that leak can be tougher to find, but often localized between the compressor and air dryer.
Sometimes the leak stops before you can shut down, get out and listen for it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the response.I jumped right out but could not hear anything. Not a fan of getting under the coach either. I guess I’ll have it checked out before it gets worse.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
TR4

Spray all air lines and fittings with a soap and water mixture. You won’t hear most air leaks. My air system will leak down to 80 psi in about four months. I had a slow leak at the air pressure gauge behind the dash.

Bill
Old 03-28-2020, 01:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M725611 View Post
Good Morning, I hope everyone is safe and healthy. I am hoping someone can answer my questions. I bought a 95 intrigue about a year ago and have been remodeling it since then. When I first bought it I had new tires and all four suspension airbags replaced. I took it out for a drive today and the air pressure goes up to 120 and after a few minutes it falls to 100 and then goes right back up to 120. I figured that may be normal during driving. When I got back from my 50 drive I let it idle for about 10 minutes and in that time the air went back down to 100 and then up to 120. Is this a slow leak? I know when I have driven it periodically over the last 12 months it would take a few days for the air to go down to about 60psi. I couldn't hear any air leaking under the coach when I turned it off today

thanks
Mark

You should check all of your brake diaphragms as well, you could possibly have one or both leaking in the rear with the parking brake set. It may be a slow leak when parked. Also have someone get behind the wheel and hold the brakes on while you walk around the coach. That could also be one possible air leak and a common one. Another place is your foot brake treadle valve along with any pressure switches and air tank drains. Best to start at the compressor and work you way through the system.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:12 AM   #6

Thanks
I’m taking it in so they can jack it up and get under it
Old 03-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
If you had an air dryer blow up it will put the descant all through the air system and start plugging things up and various valves stick open or closed. (HWH) I'm not sure if there's much you can do about that except replace what's leaking.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
You should check all of your brake diaphragms as well, you could possibly have one or both leaking in the rear with the parking brake set. It may be a slow leak when parked. Also have someone get behind the wheel and hold the brakes on while you walk around the coach. That could also be one possible air leak and a common one. Another place is your foot brake treadle valve along with any pressure switches and air tank drains. Best to start at the compressor and work you way through the system.
There is no air on any brake diaphragms when parked.

Service brakes have no air to them and springs are holding the parking brake on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #9

I suspected it was in my brakes because the pedal traveled further the other day than I was used to. You maybe able to tell in the photo the air bubbles coming out of the 7/16 bolt (Right of the brass fitting in the center of the photo). I tightened as much as I felt comfortable.It doesn't seem like there is a crack in the housing .Is there something I can put on the thread of the bolt once I let all the air out. Also one more question. Is there a separate compressor for the air suspension system and does the gauge on my dash just read the air for the brakes.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	279500  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Loctite makes a thread sealant.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Also one more question. Is there a separate compressor for the air suspension system and does the gauge on my dash just read the air for the brakes.

thanks
Our rig uses the same air tanks and plumbing for brakes, leveling, and suspension.

On my rig there is a 12vdc auxiliary compressor in the front driver side bay that monitors/maintains the leveling of the coach when parked. But is not designed to make major quick changes in level.

The engine mounted compressor fills the primary and secondary air tanks which are represented by the two needles on our dash gauge.

Opening the compressed air plumbing could initiate a drop in the suspension system.

I would would not want to be under the rig with close clearances if that were to happen!! A pit or blocking of the frame would be in order.

Our Gillig owner's manual describes the air system in excellent detail.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:54 PM   #12
TR4

Quote:
I suspected it was in my brakes because the pedal traveled further the other day than I was used to. You maybe able to tell in the photo the air bubbles coming out of the 7/16 bolt (Right of the brass fitting in the center of the photo). I tightened as much as I felt comfortable.It doesn't seem like there is a crack in the housing .Is there something I can put on the thread of the bolt once I let all the air out. Also one more question. Is there a separate compressor for the air suspension system and does the gauge on my dash just read the air for the brakes.

thanks
You said it dropped 20 psi in ten minutes idling. I would guess you have more leaks. Brakes and air suspension use the same compressor while traveling. On my CC I have two tanks with two cambers on each tank (four tanks). Gauges read primary and secondary tanks. I would fix this leak and keep looking. Check all lines, fittings and ride height valves.

Bill
Old 03-29-2020, 05:14 AM   #13

Thanks for the reply. I will fix this and check a little more. I will not be getting under the coach
Old 03-29-2020, 05:17 AM   #14

This bolt that is leaking is in the front drivers bay right above that little compressor you spoke of. So your saying the red and white needles represent two different air tank pressures. Thanks for that info

Tags
air, leak