Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:18 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Air leveling

Do you fine folks know what other models of RV use airbag leveling?
I find when I get to my spot for the night just pushing a button to level is a joy.

No pads to put down no worry that the ground is soft. Just let the airbag computer do it's thing.

So my question ..( just out of curiosity) is what other brands have airbag leveling?

I assume most Prevost have them. But I saw a Newmar Essex the other day with Jacks and was surprised.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Timely question

I’m adding HWH “Active Air” to my coach tomorrow and among other things, air leveling is one of its features. I’ve talked to several people that have it and some love it and some say the system is more trouble (problematic) than it’s worth. I’m going to find out this week. I’ve seen several higher end coaches with it, but can’t recall the list. Probably the upper end Monacos, Foretravel, etc. Obviously not just the Newell and Prevost bunch. A more important feature to me is the ability to adjust ride height to avoid scraping in steep dips, big potholes and on lumpy dirt roads. But the handling improvement is what everyone talks about as the reason for adding it. This is a small coach and handles ok, but I’ll take what I can get in improvements. You can expect some updates this week.

As to jacks down, that doesn’t necessarily mean a rig doesn’t have air leveling. I’ll still use my jacks if I’m going to be sitting for more than overnight and I would guess the rig would be a little more stable on solid levelers than air bags. Could be wrong there - guess I’ll know soon enough.

Edi: Just checked - Mountain Aire, London Aire, Essex and King Aire come standard with air leveling. So I’ll be in good company....

I’m also adding the roof mounted spotlight that is optional on the King Aire.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #3

My coach has the active air system and I like it.
The only issue I have (and really it is not a issue) is when I start coach it takes a few minutes for air pressure to build up to the point I can use the "store" function so I can start driving.

But the ride quality is nice and the ability to just dump the air and then level is awesome.

So far no problems with the system at all.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:52 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Take a look at the Country Coach. They have been out of business since 09 but they are wonderful coaches, next best thing to a Prevost. Especially the Magna, we have one, our first one was a 99 Intrigue. The one we have now is a06 Magna.
RV-LEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #5

Hmm..I was told by HWH they stopped taking appointments for Active Air..has this changed?
jcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdata View Post
Hmm..I was told by HWH they stopped taking appointments for Active Air..has this changed?
I made my appointment about six months ago. Don’t know about now, but I can ask them today. As I recall they were booked out past August then but a cancelation came up for this week, which I jumped on.

Weather was a risk, but as it turned out I got lucky. RV parks are still closed and digging out, anything not paved is either snow or mud, but I had good weather all the way from Ca (3 day drive) and looks like it will hold for the week.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:05 AM   #7

Beaver Coach also offered air leveling only as an option. $980 in 2005. My 40' 05 Monterey DP had it. I think some coaches have it standard but probably many brands offered it as an option.
jwlce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlce View Post
Beaver Coach also offered air leveling only as an option. $980 in 2005. My 40' 05 Monterey DP had it. I think some coaches have it standard but probably many brands offered it as an option.
That’s interesting - know what it costs now?

JCData - I’ve passed along your question - waiting for an answer.

This is day one of what I’m told is a week-long process:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E9A6A5E-1510-42C3-BC0B-11DDCF3B2E4A.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	319719  
Old 03-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Just got confirmation - they are booked through 2021.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
They are also short staffed because of Covid so that might have something to do with it. Definitely seems to impact the process
Old 03-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #11

Sigh..

I am see not all like the Active Air..as a metro bus driver, I appreciate the handling capabilities.. our Gillig diesel buses are the best handling chassis IMHO.. as the Gillig generation 1 hybrid buses have a high roll center..the worst bus I drive is the Novabus which is a division of Prevost.. roll center is too high and weight distribution is touchy upon braking as you will enable the ABS. This situation has led several put of control situations particularly on slippery conditions. The accelerometer algorithms needs to be reprogrammed. Several drivers have reported the tail stepping out.. instability during forward weight transfer.

Some may laugh that its just a bus, but you're clearly missing the picture. When a bus has severe roll or pitch that gives a tendency to loose grip ..the body lean on the Prevost reminds of a 60s muscle car. It's horrible. Steering is lagged. This bus will drift.. whereas the Gillig diesel kept the body lean low and weight on the tires.. you are planted in the turns.

Expounding..with so much body lean/roll when taking turns, you will not be able to see your rear tires to Judge you apex or the rate of turn in the corner..this matters a lot in slow turns in a downtown city.. going wide is a bad thing because we don't backup and most drivers do no respect the "limit line" to give up the room to turn.

I'll be approaching 400k miles driving metro buses..I started with school bus. It's funny when I look back..I was I'm racing then to a physics engineer for DOD flight sims..to running auto shops and now this...

Sorry for the rant.. I was really looking forward in getting the active air this year.this covid19..isn't what it is..
jcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Just got confirmation - they are booked through 2021.
I had to schedule my installation for end of May 2021 in Sept of 2020 so Plan ahead!
jwlce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Crunch time...Friday Morning

I made my appointment in November. They had earlier ones but the weather was a concern. This one worked out because I also wanted to take advantage of Newmar‘ s discounted labor rate (good until the end of March), so after this I’m headed to Nappanee. Fortunately the weather cooperated. The only other choice was an opening in June.

There’re four guys on it today - hopefully they’ll finish on time; I have an apointment with a paint booth in Nappanee Monday morning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2B883F9-EE3C-4BC2-833E-78A5EB189991.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	320172  
Old 03-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All of the mid 2000's on, mid to upper end Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Beaver lines came with air leveling.

Tags
air, leveling