RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Allison 4000 stuck in 1st

I went to exercise the coach, got 100 yards down the road and the check trans light came on. And, it would not come out of 1st. Took it back to the barn, read up on the issue, pulled the code from WTEC 4 controller, P0722 Speed Sensor, Circuit fault.

Western came out, validated the issue. He replaced the output Speed Sensor and check wiring. He had is laptop connected to the diagnostic port and we went for a spin. Every checks out and runs like new.

Thought I would share.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #2

Wow a thread with bad news and good news all in one. Thanks for sharing your issue and solution.

Does anyone know what range of coaches from CC have the Allison 4000. I believe the 2007 Affinity like mine has the same.
f360racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #3

Jubilee, thanks for posting this. Were you able to shift it into reverse? I'm thinking about scenarios where this could really put one in a bind if you could not reverse.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f360racer View Post
Wow a thread with bad news and good news all in one. Thanks for sharing your issue and solution.

Does anyone know what range of coaches from CC have the Allison 4000. I believe the 2007 Affinity like mine has the same.
Probably any of the big blocks, C-12, C-13, ISM, Series 60.
Older models with the big engines may have the Allison 4 speed.
Smaller engines like the 8.3, 8.3 ISC, and ISL will have the 3000 series. A lot to do with torque, anything over 1250 ft/lbs will likely have the 4000 series.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Probably any of the big blocks, C-12, C-13, ISM, Series 60.
Older models with the big engines may have the Allison 4 speed.
Smaller engines like the 8.3, 8.3 ISC, and ISL will have the 3000 series. A lot to do with torque, anything over 1250 ft/lbs will likely have the 4000 series.
2008 CC's with CAT C9 or C13 or C15, could have the CAT Transmissions in them too! Agree with the Allison 4K series in the larger engines, probably even C10/11's going back a bit earlier.

Wonder what the RPM would be in 1st gear at 65MPH!!!!

OP - Thanks for sharing, and smoothing sailing (Well, shifting!) ahead for you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #6

Hello all, I had this issue happened to me. Rt 95 south slowed for accident and when I tried to resume speed stuck in first with shift inhibit alarm in. Pulled over and shut down waited 15 seconds and restated all fine. To Bill the O.P. did you notice the speedometer moving at all mine was stuck on 0. After the re-boot (on/off of coach) no alarm and all fine. Was your speedo stuck at 0? Thanks, Joe
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #7

Tall oaks, as Sights said, when you shut down the electronics reset. So, at start up you do get reverse and drive. After start up, we drove a lap around the storage area and the check trans light came back on, stuck in first. The tech said he could "force a gear" so you could limp to a service center.

Sights, I do not recall what the speedo was doing, I was focused on getting it back to the barn safely.

The tech said the sensor looked original and had a 90 degree bend in it. The new one was straight in design. If I knew electricity better I think I could explain this better, but the new one had 30 more ohms?? Anyway, it made an immediate difference and the tranny shifter into 6th before hitting 60 MPH. Before it would shift about 61-62.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

FWIW. 2006 with C-13. Shortly after purchase in 2016 the tranny locked in 5th using the Jake on a downhill. Got to cell phone range and called for help from the Cat dealer, who said shut it off to reset. Some time later (over a year) it started acting up on I5. Same drill, shut it off and reset, then acted fine for a while, so rinse and repeat. In 2018 it quit again near Ft St John, BC. Took it to the Allison dealer, replaced speed sensor. It lasted one day. It quit near the Liard River. Shut it down, and sometimes it would get up to 4th, but no Jake and sometimes no speeedo. Made it to Whitehorse, and eventually found the Allison dealer there could do nothing. On to Alaska with many restarts to attain 4th gear. Had the sensor replaced again. Put maybe 300 miles on and it failed. Finally got to Pacific Power in Anchorage. They worked on it for days, and finally ran a new wire from the sensor to the control box in the front compartment. Had to teach the transmission how to shift again, which took about 2 days, but all has been well since. Moral: if the speed sensor fails, rewire the sensor as the first step.
Tee Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #9

Tee Jay,

The tech evaluated the connectivity before the sensor replacement and after. Based on the increase in OHMS, and after he confirmed the electronic connections up front, I think the wiring is good. Will keep an eye on it.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #10

Our 2000 Magna C10 has a 4060 Allison
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
2008 CC's with CAT C9 or C13 or C15, could have the CAT Transmissions in them too! Agree with the Allison 4K series in the larger engines, probably even C10/11's going back a bit earlier.

Wonder what the RPM would be in 1st gear at 65MPH!!!!

OP - Thanks for sharing, and smoothing sailing (Well, shifting!) ahead for you,
Smitty
Thanks everyone for answering my question. I wish I had my coach at home. I hav ACO much to learn and I canít run out and ďresearchĒ my coaches system when I read a thread. Just learning as much as possible. Knowing Iíll need these nuggets in future and not wanting to hike out of Badlands NP like my dad to get an alternator cause we didnít have forums back then.
f360racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee 45 View Post
Tee Jay,

The tech evaluated the connectivity before the sensor replacement and after. Based on the increase in OHMS, and after he confirmed the electronic connections up front, I think the wiring is good. Will keep an eye on it.
FWIW. The Tech had a supply of boards and such and replaced, tested, reinstalled originals. About two test drives a day for about 4 days. I drove, he read the monitor. It was a real goat rope for the overall experience, as all the techs had monitors and followed all the tests and diagnostics. Electric gremlins are such fun. Best wishes for success.
Tee Jay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison