Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2022, 03:52 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Allure 470 mileage c9 425 Cat with cat trans

I'm looking at buying an 08 Allure 470 42' and the silverleaf is showing the average MPG to be 5.1. This seems extremely low to me as I've owned a coulple of Monaco products and from what I've read and heard from most people, aside from the occasional, "Oh I get 13-15 mpg out of my 42' rig climbing the rockies", 7-9 mpg is more realistic. I read somewhere that if the engine monitoring systems aren't set up correctly, it could scew the readings, which makes sense.
Is there anyone out there with this type of set up that could share your mileage with me.
I'm not asking because I'm obsessed with fuel mileage of an RV, if I were that concerned I'd drive a Prius and stay in hotels. I also understand that driving conditions and habits as well as type of toad will have an effect on mileage. I'm not looking for a lesson or lecture on the laws of physics, just some comparisons, ideas, and maybe shared wisdom. Thanks!
Ramblin Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

I would consider the 5.1 to be low; but that could include all fuel for mileage driven since the coach was new and all it takes is an owner obsessed with 1/2 hour warm ups before driving to skew the reading for the life of the coach .

I have a print out from the 20,000 mile service and valve adjustment on my coach giving gals/hr and miles/gal ,and that was a scary number , but in the 50,000 miles I've driven since purchasing it, I've never recorded anything that low.

Are you sure about the Cat transmission ? I would not consider that normal .
Old 05-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #3

Thanks for responding. Yes Cat did make some transmissions. Mostly used in the tour buses but a few went to the tv market before Cat decided to step out of the on highway business due to emission standards.
Ramblin Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Ron View Post
Thanks for responding. Yes Cat did make some transmissions. Mostly used in the tour buses but a few went to the tv market before Cat decided to step out of the on highway business due to emission standards.
Yes I think its the CX28 transmission. The 2008 C9 with after treatment system (DPF) has a burner head located on the particulate filter. That is known to fail and the parts are essentially non existent. IF you are in a state that it is illegal to modify/remove treatment systems on diesels that may be an issue.

good luck,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would certainly be leery of the 425 C9 Cat engine. Especially with that kind of mpg. We have the Allison Trans in ours and I average 7.5 when towing and can beat that with good conditions and flat roads.

I found out the turbo was replaced under warranty by the previous owner when I had to install a third turbo at 30000 miles. When I bought the coach it was 4 yrs old with 22000 miles. I replaced the spark plug,the sensors,and other parts I cant remember trying to deal with the darn DPF system. I finally deleted the DPF and had them reprogram my EMS to just run like a piece of road equipment and I now have over 94000 miles and it runs great!We love our coach but it has cost us over $45,000 to keep it running for the past 8 yrs because of the failure of the afterburner system that Cat designed. The truckers who ran C13 and C15 Cat engine with the Accert DPS had class action lawsuits against Cat due to poor performance.I dont know any outcome of that process.As a C9 owner I had no recourse but to keep replacing turbos when they burnt up!! That was all the Cat Dealer Shops would suggest! I finally found a Cat mechanic in Indiana that wrote a computer program and deleted the DPS.

I hope this message is not too confusing cause I am not a mechanic but this is what I have learned from owning a Cat engine.

Like I said we love our Beaver but it has been an expensive lesson to learn.
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #6

If the Generator hours are high, it also uses fuel when running and could affect a computer calculation?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:15 PM   #7

I drove a Cat powered semi years ago(3408). If I ever saw 5mpg I would have been amazed.

Modern big Cats can be just as thirsty. I depends partially on how they are driven. YMMV. (pun intended)
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:56 PM   #8

I have had my coach going on 10 years and have never got over 7.5 on a good day. My Silverleaf when I got it said the MPG was 6.3 then I took it in to Peterson Cat to have the ECM flashed and it runs 100% better, cleared the codes and did an update. Now I'm getting 6.1 and we pull a Ford Edge. When it comes to the C-9 425hp, I would stay away from it for all the reasons everyone has said, it may turn in a money pit. Check out some of the you tubes by the Adept Ape he knows cats

2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #9

We have the CAT C13 and towing our 3/4 ton truck we get around 6-7 mpg on flat/gentle rolling ground bur up anything steep our fuel mileage dies to around 2mpg...

YMMV
Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allure, cat, country coach, mileage