Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Allure 470 Questions

Yesterday I went out to look at a 2006 Allure 470. I have never owned a MH, but have been researching them for a long time. I currently own a Cedar Creek 5th wheel that we have enjoyed very much over the past 4 years (it was our first unit). From a financial point of view, 3 or 4 years would put me in a position to buy a new unit, but I don’t feel comfortable with doing that now.

From everything I understand, the Country Coach is a very well made motorhome and that the age of the unit really isn't a big issue. The unit I looked at has essentially been stored indoors when it wasn’t being used. The exterior looks very well kept, though there does appear to be some paint bubbling (like rust) on the lower edge of the two rear slide outs. I’ve been told that this isn’t rust but a galvanic reaction between 2 dissimilar materials.
I haven’t had a chance to get on the roof yet… I’m assuming it is fiberglass? Most of the tires seem to have a manufacture date of 2012, though one of the rear tires was dated 2014. The current owner says he has all the maintenance records (he’s owned the coach for 2 years). The coach currently has 113,000 miles on it and is very clean inside and out.

Is there anything specific I should be looking out for? I’ve heard about the wet / dry PTO issue and will have that checked out. I’ve also heard about the potential for radiator problems (if it still has an aluminum radiator). I have been looking for a certified RV inspector in the area but haven’t been able to find one who works on motorhomes in the area (I’m near Homosassa, FL). If anyone has input on a good inspector that would be helpful. If I can’t find an inspector, do you think an inspection by a good Motorhome sales organization (I was thinking of Alliance Coach in Wildwood FL) would be a good idea?
Also, where can I find a good idea of the value of the coach? I’ve looked at RV Trader and sites like that, and NADA, but the prices seem to be much higher than he is asking. Not sure if I’m potentially looking at a great deal or if the prices I see online are inflated to provide a large margin for dealing.

I'm also trying to put together a budget of sorts since I know this will be a much more expensive vehicle to maintain than my pickup and 5er. Assuming no major breakdowns, what should I look at putting aside for maintenance on a yearly basis? Are there any websites you are aware of that discuss costs like this? You can tell I'm a newbie and have tons of questions so I'll stop here.

I’m going to bring the wife to see the coach tomorrow I think she'll love it… so I may have more questions then. Thanks for all the help.
Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Condition, condition, condition, but be sure the DW likes it!
My late DW never really liked the present rig, not that it matters now.
The CC will have better "bones" than what you will find with a new rig unless you go to a Newell or Prevost conversion.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
FL.......A Word of CAUTION!!!!
Really take the time and fully inspect the lower reaches of the coach, both by visual and smell...
There are quite a few coaches of all types coming the market that have had flood/water damage due to the recent hurricanes..Some of which were NOT turned into the Insurance companies..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Country Coach builds a very nice motor home and you would be hard pressed to find a 2018 coach built as well.
Make sure you get the engine serial number and check it against the Cummins ISL wrist pin defect list.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isl-...ge-180891.html

2005-2007 Allures currently for sale are listed from $98k to $169k, but most are much lower mileage. NADA RV book will tell you not to include mileage on a diesel motor home, BUT any dealer will seriously discount it when over 100,000 miles (up to 50%).

Some of the issues I'm seeing on these older coaches are:
Slide out and awning covers need replacing. $1000-2000
Carpet needs replacing. $3000-5000
TV's need updating. $1000-2000
Tires! Plan on spending $5k on tires.
Batteries. Plan on spending $600-$1000 on batteries.
Gray and black tank sensors need replacing. $150
Plan on replacing fan belts and coolant hoses. $300-700
Flush and replace coolant. $300-500
Updating interior lights to LED. $100-300
Furniture and captains chairs needs recovering. $2000-6000
Engine exhaust needs replacing. $200-1000
Generator service. $100-300
Broken awning wind sensors. $200
One or more AC units need replacing. $1000-5000
Toilet seals need replacing. $50-300
If the paint is deteriorating, it will run from $15k-$20k.
Watch out for fiberglass delamination and heat checking, especially in dark colors!

If you can do the labor yourself, you can save a lot of money and headaches.

Of course your prospective coach will not have all of these, but I would set aside $10k for updates and repairs. If it does have issues, use these as bargaining to lower the price.

I should add that selling these coaches can be tough as most banks will not loan on coaches over 10 years old. You can also use this as a bargaining tool.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #5

We have a 2007 Allure 470, Sunset Bay since 2012 and love it.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #6

We recently bought a 2008 43’ 420 Allure Founders Edition and are very happy.

The high miles are going to make that one cheap but if everything works and a pre purchase inspection comes out good I’d say low ball them and enjoy.

Put new steer tires on.

Dan
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #7

We are in a park full of Newell’s and Prevost’s and even know our coach cost less than their sales tax our CC is still highly regarded and envied as the new million dollar rigs have service trucks there almost daily��.
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

I have a 2007 Allure 470 and am very happy with the coach. I came from a 2011 Heartland Landmark. The quality of the CC is steps above even the topline Landmark and Cedar Creek from what I have seen. The CC are heavier coaches as the structure is all steel and monocoque design (chassis and body are integrated design). With the ability to build with tile, all wood, steel gives a very solid coach. I have less squeaks/rattles/stuff shook apart inside the house of the CC compared to the Landmark, and I really thought the Landmark was well built.

I have an ISL build pre 2007 EPA emissions (no DPF) and Cummins did not add EGR on the ISL in my vintage. I would not be concerned with the mileage myself.

I do my own maintenance, oil changes, gen servicing, etc. I have not changed out my PTO to wet design as my first inspection showed great condition on the splines and I keep it greased once per year.

I do like the full drawings - electrical, plumbing and chassis that come with the CC. Each wire and connector is labelled - a BIG help when troubleshooting electrical gremlins.....

In summary - I was going to upgrade to a new/newer coach, but as mentioned, I'd don't think I'd be as satisfied with quality compared to the CC unless I looked at bus conversions (Prevost, Marathon) or Foretravel/Newell. Thats a big step up in $$$$s. The newer Newmar/Entegra's are nice, but there are lots of conversations on those forums as well with quality/manufacturing issues.

My thoughts,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #9

X2 on the 2007 Allure 470, great coach. Would you have a copy of the 2007 wire list, that you be will to share?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #10

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded to my post. As you might imagine I have spent the last few days on the phone talking to inspectors, going back to see the coach with my DW, and in general trying to line up what needs to take place in order to buy this unit. I'm almost there. Will have the inspection next week, and should be able to make our final offer by the end of next week. I have been very impressed with the quality of the unit as well, and I'm hoping that everything turns out well and we end up with this coach. Now I'll spend the weekend cleaning my fifth wheel and trying to arrange to sell it. Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #11

Do check the engine serial number against the linked thread above for the 400ISL wrist pin defects. I would think long and hard about buying a engine with the defect. It may be a risk.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #12

Thanks Brian. I did check the serial number and it is outside the range.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #13

I'm the 3d owner since June 2014 of a 2008 Allure 470 Sunset Bay 38'. Except to get a newer year, there's no MH out there I would buy to replace it. Entegra, maybe, but my coach is so much more well built and has more.

To encourage all of us used MH owners to be more transparent about pricing, I'll disclose I paid $192k almost 4 years ago. I believe about $25k of that was above what a similar year's diesel pusher w a tag axle would have cost. So, I knew I was paying a premium; but I was willing. ome of my analysis that may help you. It was a Country Coach; it was CC's last year before big QC issues in 2009; it had an Cummins engine tuned from 400 hp to 425; it didn't require DEF; it had a tag axle; it was shorter than 40' (37'11') but came w all the chassis stuff 42' and 45' CC's have; it had been stored indoors; the mileage was under 35,000; it came with complete records; and--most of all--it was a very, very rare find Country Coach in the newest year possible 38'er.

IMO, a CC demanding a medium-to-higher price must be in almost perfect shape mechanically and appearance-wise. This requires the previous owners did the maintenance and the repairs as things came along. Even if it comes to you"all caught up" on its needs, still plan on spending lots of money re-doing things that are out of style or worn out. I think an average spent or saved to spend of $10-12k per year is necessary.

If you can get an After-Market B2B warranty, I highly recommend you buy it. I didn't; and my engine is starting to put me past the $5k I would have spent for the premium. I haven't had big ticket items like cylinders or transmission, but just little things. "Little things" on a Cummins mean $1k or more just for bolt-on parts and lots of hours of $150+ labor.

I fully agree w the list above down to re-covering furniture. I didn't do that because I removed both couches and put in Lazy Boy chairs. My cockpit chairs were fine except for broken seat belt surrounds at the top. The items below furniture I haven't had to do but plan to.

If you don't want to or are not competent doing DIY make-overs, repairs, and general maintenance, I would not recommend your buying a Country Coach. The fact they were built so well is the only reason most of us are willing and able to keep them up; but they require lots of focused attention and effort.

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #14

Thanks Jerry. With the mileage on the unit we are looking at, the only warranty I have been able to find is a 4 year, $200 deducible that covers the coach, but not the engine, transmission, drive train or radiator. Cost is over $9400. Think I'll put the money aside and pay the repairs myself.

Don't understand what a B2B warranty is.