Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allure; First Long Trip Report

We just returned home from our first extended post-retirement trip in the new-to-us Allure. I retired on May 1, we left home on June 6 and traveled for 106 days. We traveled from our home in Virginia thru the Midwest, into the West and on to Oregon. Total miles traveled was 7,952, 1,012 gallons of fuel purchased, and 1,158 gallons consumed (from the Silverleaf trip gizmo). We averaged 7.4 mpg over all terrain. Best mpg was 9.4 on dead level ground with no wind heading east on I80 thru NE.

The trip was expensive (in terms of getting stuff done to the coach.... some necessary, some optional) but not so bad if we factor out those exceptional items. I kept track of costs for fuel, meals, groceries/provisions, entertainment, and RV park fees. We 'boondocked' some, spending 10 nights free at Country Coach in Junction City, 4 nights in Walmart, one night at Cabelas, and 7 nights at a family member's home. Otherwise, we used commercial RV parks, some very nice, some only so-so. Not including the repairs and other stuff we bought for the coach, our cost per day was about $115. I thought that was good for a first time on such a long trip.

Overall, the Allure performed very well. In spite of some steep and long grades in the West in pretty hot weather, coolant temp never exceeded 197F. All the comfort features performed flawlessly. Late in the trip, we did have some concerns with the generator. It mysteriously quit running three times during our overnight stays off power. Foolishly, I never checked the error codes displayed by the light on the switch before restarting the generator so I have some detective work to do. The Silverleaf display for the generator shows 3-3-2 but that code is not to be found in my manual. It would seem to stutter or miss, then quit. I was always able to restart it manually and it would run fine for many hours.

The coach drove like a dream and the ride is outstanding. We had no real rattles until after some work done at CC and I think I have found the culprit (a piece of wood trim on the galley slide) and I will fix that.

I do have an oil leak on the ISL. I believe it is mostly coming from the timing chain cover area and maybe also the oil pan gasket. I have an appointment at my local Cummins Coach Care shop next week to address that issue.

We stopped at RV Fog Doctor in Searcy, AR to get four fogged windows fixed. One of the repaired windows fogged a bit two weeks later so we stopped again on the way home and they re-did that window, with apologies for the inconvenience. Actually, they offered to pay RV Glass Solutions in Coburg, OR to fix the window but they were too busy to get to us while we were there.

We stopped in Altoona, IA at Summit RV Stainless to get a little 'bling' added to the coach. While there, DW broke a tooth requiring some dental work (root canal) extending our stay there for a few days.

While in Junction City getting a few things done at CC, DW visited Countryside RV Interiors so that cost us new recliners and a new sofa .

Overall, it was a wonderful trip and we really enjoy the coach. No regrets buying it for sure. DW wants to sell the stick house and do this full time but I like to catch fish (striped bass) from the lake where we live so I have lobbied for half time traveling for now. We really are blessed with the best of both worlds.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #2

smlranger - Good to read your report. I meet you at the CC campground this summer. We have the burgundy and cream colored Affinity, and a tan and black Airedale dog.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #3

So cool to hear how well this went for you - sounds like a great way to start retirement... Glad your CC visit went well in setting up your coach for years of enjoyment.

Salute!!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Community Moderator

always enjoy reading first hand writing on trip experience. glad to know all things went your way... go rving and enjoy life!!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

Sounds like a great maiden voyage!

Cheers
Old 09-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #6

Congrats on your long haul!

sounds like a great trip!

My wife and I live on the Central CA coast, and we are looking to go back to Appalachia and the east coast in the next few years -- so we will be doing kind of a reverse of what you just did.....

Love hearing about your experiences!

- Harry
HARRYGDNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #7

Gary, any chance we could get a picture of the Summit Stainless, as we have been thinking of going to see them.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Gary, any chance we could get a picture of the Summit Stainless, as we have been thinking of going to see them.
Sure thing. I will take a few pics tomorrow and post them.

If you are handy and like DIY, you can order the kit and install it yourself. It is not hard to do, just takes time to make sure the pieces are aligned. I did the initial install myself but Summit shipped me four dented pieces (couldn't tell until after they were installed, adhesive cured, protective top coating removed). Getting them off after the adhesive cures is really hard so I let the folks at Summit do it.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you had a good trip.

On a long trip, such as yous, we average about $100 a day for everything so you are in the ballpark.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Pics as promised

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
We got the 6" Premier armor which wraps under the bottom of the door. We also got the step kit.

While at Summit in Altoona, I had them make some trim for the bottom of the radiator grill. I installed it myself later on the trip.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #11

Looks very nice, Gary! Coach has nice color, too!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the picture of the rear of the coach, is that a black power cord?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
In the picture of the rear of the coach, is that a black power cord?

Yes.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Yes.

Come on Gary - don't cut corners now. I'm sure a chrome option is available to wrap that power cord!!

Like the addition, dresses it up quite nicely. Reminds me of some of the 2000's era Beaver Patriots.

Good looking combo on your rig!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote