Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Allure trailer wiring

98 allure, I have the seven pin trailer connector. I see the blue brake wire at the connector. Can someone tell me if it goes to the front where I can tap into for brake controller?
Thanks
Frogmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmore View Post
98 allure, I have the seven pin trailer connector. I see the blue brake wire at the connector. Can someone tell me if it goes to the front where I can tap into for brake controller?
Thanks
I'am not much help, but I am getting ready to install a brake controller in my '01 Intrigue also. The Blue brake wire is supposed to be run to the front somewhere near the fuse box/wire harness that is near you left knee when sitting in the driver's seat. I have not had a chance to look for it yet myself but it is supposed to be there someplace.

I will check back to this post when I get a chance to install mine and let you know what I find. Have a trip coming up fast and need the trailer for my car and golf cart.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:36 AM   #3

Thanks, likewise, I will be searching as well.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #4

I got a chance yesterday to spend a couple hours working on this with NO success.

I now don't believe there is a brake wire run to the back of the coach, as I first believed. I have run a wire before in my previous Coachman and it is a job to do correctly and I am not looking forward to doing it again. Unless someone else chimes in with more info that's what I am planning on doing very soon. My trip is fast approaching.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. I did the same with no luck. I need 12 ga for the electric brakes so I’m also going to run a new wire. Looks like fun but I like a challenge.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

I realize that many wont like this but I mounted my controller in back and it works great. It took a few test stops to adjust it but it works fine. I’ve never had the need to adjust it or operate it manually form the drivers seat.

Dan
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #7

My 99 Allure had spare fused wires going from the back fuse blocks in the battery compartment to under the right side of dash by the HWH unit. If I recall correctly I think wires #6 and #7 are marked as spares in the rear fuse box and you can use one of those and only have to extend the wires a short distance to get to the 7 pin trailer plug and the brake controller.
My RV is in storage but if it is still going the next time I'm out there I will verify which wire/location I used.
1999 Country Coach Allure #30373
San Diego, Ca.
hkuhnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkuhnert View Post
My 99 Allure had spare fused wires going from the back fuse blocks in the battery compartment to under the right side of dash by the HWH unit. If I recall correctly I think wires #6 and #7 are marked as spares in the rear fuse box and you can use one of those and only have to extend the wires a short distance to get to the 7 pin trailer plug and the brake controller.
My RV is in storage but if it is still going the next time I'm out there I will verify which wire/location I used.
Are those wires shown in the schematics? That would be awesome! I will look at my manual tonight when I get home from work. That would be a whole lot better than running a new wire.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dan View Post
I realize that many wont like this but I mounted my controller in back and it works great. It took a few test stops to adjust it but it works fine. I’ve never had the need to adjust it or operate it manually form the drivers seat.

Dan
The only draw back is the one time the trailer starts to sway, you don't have the ability to apply the brakes to get it back in line. I considered this also, but decided against it.

I also looked at one of the new brake controllers that mounts on the trailer and there is one that plugs into the trailer connector. Neither one has been out very long and they both had some negative reviews. I just was not willing to be the test dummy just yet on one of those.

In my youth, we towed a great big '63 Ford Galaxy asphalt car up and down the road with a half ton pickup, on a trailer with NO brakes. I promised my self when I got older and better off financially, I wouldn't do that stupid stuff any more. LOL I still do stupid stuff, but I try to keep it to a minimum.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #10

I spoke with Kevin Waite today about our trailer wiring issue (I was ordering some other parts), He advised that CC did run extra wires from the engine bay up to the front either under the driver's seat or into the dash at the passengers feet inside the access panel.

The wires in the engine bay are attached to a bus bar on the side of the compartment and the wires are all numbered. They were provided by the factory as spares. I saw these somewhere in my research but did not know what they were for.

I have not had a chance to look for them on my coach but when I do, I will photograph and post the pictures. I think they run into the compartment below the drivers seat on my coach but I will have to verify.

The search continues!

Kevin is a great person to deal with by the way!
Old 09-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #11

If you have the wire list in one of your owner's manuals you can determine which wires are running from the engine compartment forward. On my 2000 Magna they are wire #'s 4, 5, 6, & 7. Wire #4 is a 12 gage with red insulation. The other 3 wires are 16 gage; orange, yellow, & black.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
If you have the wire list in one of your owner's manuals you can determine which wires are running from the engine compartment forward. On my 2000 Magna they are wire #'s 4, 5, 6, & 7. Wire #4 is a 12 gage with red insulation. The other 3 wires are 16 gage; orange, yellow, & black.
Phays, that goes right with what Kevin told me. I only had a few minutes today to spend under the coach but was unsuccessful. I have been in the Chassis book and cannot find them. I need to look in the other manual and see if they are shown in there. The Chassis book does not show the fuse box located in the filter compartment at the right rear on my Intrigue, only the two inside by the driver's seat.

I have been fixing one issue and finding another this week. Got an air leak fixed on a tire today, valve extension was loose and found a coolant leak when looking for the wire harness. IF there were just more hours in the day!
Old 09-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmore View Post
98 allure, i have the seven pin trailer connector. I see the blue brake wire at the connector. Can someone tell me if it goes to the front where i can tap into for brake controller?
Thanks
open the rear engine door look to the left side of the door and the wires should be there, or the are to the right of the door. I put a brake box in my 98 allure. The wires are numbered also from what i remember. I can check when i get home tonight
modracer2518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #14

Here is what I found after searching all day Friday:

The harness was located at the rear just below the fuse box for the house. Note: The wires were not numbered. Don't know if they were at one time, but none are numbered now.

Here's the tough part, All of those wires don't go to the front of the chassis! I did find two (Red and a Black in the front area, below the windshield behind the access panel. There is supposed to be two more in the Kitchen are and two in the bedroom (I did not look for them.)

The Red and Black wire were marked with a "D" and taped together. They come through the floor all the way to the right, in the corner. I also located a spare ground in the same area.

I have had enough for today but hope to finish up my install tomorrow. Have to power the brake controller, run wire to brake light switch and extend wire to 7 way plug.

Tags
trailer, wiring