Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Almost a CC owner - Sellers are liars

Pretty disappointing story. I flew down to California (from Oregon) last week to pick up a 98 CC Intrigue. Great looking coach owned by a self proclaimed car nut that owns a drag racing team and is a well respected custom home builder. He had all records and said anything that needs fixed was always taken care of. The listing described it as mechanically sound and in excellent condition. Pictures were great.

Well, not so much. After almost 10 hours of traveling (ridiculous layover in LAX) I arrived to find a coach that had a sizable crack in the fiberglass roof. Not a hairline fracture in the gel coat, a deep crack about 2mm wide and 8” long, right where the roof curves to the side. And while the coach was in decent condition for its age, it needed to be thoroughly deep cleaned and would not be what I would describe as excellent. It just amazes me. You can’t trust anyone these days.

Needless to say I was pretty sick about it. A nasty hotel room in the middle of no where, a couple flights, many hours, and several hundred dollars later; I’m back home. Licking my wounds and still shopping; just closer to home.
1998 Country Coach Intrigue 40' Grandview #10678
Moho_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moho_Driver View Post
Pretty disappointing story. I flew down to California (from Oregon) last week to pick up a 98 CC Intrigue. Great looking coach owned by a self proclaimed car nut that owns a drag racing team and is a well respected custom home builder. He had all records and said anything that needs fixed was always taken care of. The listing described it as mechanically sound and in excellent condition. Pictures were great.

Well, not so much. After almost 10 hours of traveling (ridiculous layover in LAX) I arrived to find a coach that had a sizable crack in the fiberglass roof. Not a hairline fracture in the gel coat, a deep crack about 2mm wide and 8” long, right where the roof curves to the side. And while the coach was in decent condition for its age, it needed to be thoroughly deep cleaned and would not be what I would describe as excellent. It just amazes me. You can’t trust anyone these days.

Needless to say I was pretty sick about it. A nasty hotel room in the middle of no where, a couple flights, many hours, and several hundred dollars later; I’m back home. Licking my wounds and still shopping; just closer to home.
Smart move. Country Coach is a great coach but sometimes the owner aren't as great.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

Understand your frustration. And yes, in some cases, I did find that some owner's do lie about their coaches, and the condition of them. Similar experience, where I took a vacation day and flew from San Diego to Texas and then a 90 min drive to see a coach. I never even went inside of it. Parked the rental car, walked to within maybe 75' of the coach. About that time the 'Gentlemen' came walking down from his house, with big smile on his face, and said 'You ready to drive this coach home?'. I said calmly explained to him he had misrepresented the condition of the coach, wasted my time and money, and turned around and walked back to the rental car. The money I saved from not staying in a hotel that night, was used to pay for a change on my return flight. Caught an early evening flight home. (That coach remained for sale, for several months...

All that being said. I also found many owners of RV's, who I believe honestly felt their coaches were in great condition, clean, and well maintained. They just had different perspectives on what that meant... Wished many a nice owner, most of the time coming off of the road the best of luck, and said their coach was not the right one for my wife and I. Remember one gent very well, he called me a few days later, and asked for some feedback on his coach. I explained the items that I felt were in need of attention, to make the coach if not in excellent condition, and least very good condition. He, and a few others, were I feel honest owner's - who due to their love of their coaches, saw them in a different light...

Keep looking, and best wishes on your hunt... Tip. Since your in Oregon, call or go in and meet Damon Rapozo out of Premier RV. He's a straight shooter, and will know of coaches coming to market, that you will never see... IMO, the creme of the crop used CC's - change ownerships without ever being advertised.

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:44 PM   #4

You'll find what your looking for in Oregon, unless it's just C.C. you want. Then you may have to travel. I drove down to La Pine to find my Dutchstar and it couldn't have been a better situation. Be patient.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #5

I looked at many coaches. The owners always said they were clean and nice, but I realized that my clean and nice was different than many others opinion. I finally found my CC in washington after about two years of looking.

Don't get discouraged, its better to walk away than to be disappointed. I found a Leisure travel for my parents. I set up a time to FaceTime the owner and we walked around that coach for an hour. I felt good about it and we flew to Idaho and got it.

Have you seen the green intrigue in Canby? It looks very nice in the pics.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post

Have you seen the green intrigue in Canby? It looks very nice in the pics.

I did see that one, and I agree, it looks great in the pics. But, we would prefer the floor plan with the deeper slide and the kitchen on the other side.
1998 Country Coach Intrigue 40' Grandview #10678
Moho_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #7

I looked at a private sale 36’ foot 1998 Magna just north of Phoenix About 4 weeks ago, for a friend. It was not listed yet but he was going to list for about 37K. I would put that in the category of being in very good shape. If it hasn’t sold you may want to look into that one He was going to list on one of the RV websites
Old 11-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #8

Too bad but at least your were not so invested to buy it anyway.

Remember the seller is motivated to sell it and say just about anything need to make the sale. Being honest just is not part of the process for many sellers.

Recognize anything you buy will have its issues and most of the them you will never see until long after you own it. You looking to but a 20+ year old machine so perfect is not realistic. I am keeping a list of all the things I have done to my 12 year old machine, just 7 months old to me and I am over 100 individual repair or replace things.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I had a similar experience and, even though it sucks, it could be worse!

And I concur with Smitty here. Get hold of Damon. We wandered in off the street and he spent more than an hour showing us inventory and talking CC history. Over a year later and he still checks on us - and we didn't buy from Premier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Keep looking, and best wishes on your hunt... Tip. Since your in Oregon, call or go in and meet Damon Rapozo out of Premier RV. He's a straight shooter, and will know of coaches coming to market, that you will never see... IMO, the creme of the crop used CC's - change ownerships without ever being advertised.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #10

When we looked for a used coach a few years back I had to do a LOT of work to find what I wanted. I checked all the sales methods like eBay, RVT, RVtrader, and so on to see if the coach was listed in various places to check how motivated the seller was. I looked at both private party, consignment dealers, and regular dealers. My wife and I made a number of trips to see coaches. And some were not great trips. Some were funny. (I still remember the one American Tradition we looked at parked in the backyard of the nice lady who's husband passed away and she wanted to sell it. Really nice coach, but they had several cats. The were cat claw holes by the many hundreds on every surface, leather sofa, chair, and other places I have forgotten all over the interior. We did not buy that one.).

After many dozens of hours and several trips to see coaches we decided on the coach we own now. I flew to pick it up. Spent the night in the consignment dealers. Went through every system in the rig. Wrote down many issues I needed fixed before giving any money. Gave dealer my list. Flew home. Flew back a couple of weeks later to see if all stuff done. Not all done. Made seller get repair guy out to finish issues. Spent several days waiting for that to happen. And so on. And I insisted on the best extended warranty I could find at the sellers expense.

We still have that coach.

Since you are in Oregon it should be easy to find the CC you want. Drive to Junction City and look around at the sellers there and insist on a good one. Likely you will get it. Maybe not a bargain though. A clue on the condition of the coach you went to LA to see though might be that it needed "deep cleaning" when you looked at it. Machines that a seller shows you not cleaned up for sale usually means he did not take care of fixing the things you could not see either.

By the way. After all my work at getting a coach that was in good condition I still had a whole bunch of issues the first 2-3 years. I was very glad I got the extended warranty. The insurance company spent about twice what it cost.

Not sorry I got a Country Coach.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moho_Driver View Post
I did see that one, and I agree, it looks great in the pics. But, we would prefer the floor plan with the deeper slide and the kitchen on the other side.
We thought we did too until we saw this slide configuration with the bedroom slide combo. The shallower kitchen slide is longer and there is plenty of room to leave the leaf in the dining table. Our previous CC had the great room slide.

Before you rule it out, go look at one with this slide. Really much better than expected and there seem to be more of them around.
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:20 AM   #12

Sounds like the start of a great adventure. Chin up.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

I got skunked twice.
Both used 8 to 10 year old pictures in their advertising.

From when they bought the coach's used.
And well maintained it looked like at the time.

Neither had been maintained properly since.
Fortunately I didn't buy them sight unseen.

One lady had a very sad tale.
Her husband died 8 years before.
His son, a addict, lived in it since his death.
She wanted 60,000 plus.
I told her that she would be lucky if she got a salvage yard to haul if off.

And a year latter they did.
For $500.

I explained that what she did was false advertising.
I think she was desperate.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
I had a similar experience and, even though it sucks, it could be worse!

And I concur with Smitty here. Get hold of Damon. We wandered in off the street and he spent more than an hour showing us inventory and talking CC history. Over a year later and he still checks on us - and we didn't buy from Premier!
First became acquainted with Damon back when he was selling Newmars. Premier and Damon are straight shooters and we bought our present Magna from them. Would buy from them again too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell