Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #1

Amana Residential Refridge Is Failing has anyone had Success with Repairing them

Our Amana Refrigerator is beginning to shut down the freezer section intermittently, shutting it off for a couple of hours restores function.

Has anyone had any success getting them repaired? We suspect that the defrost cycle is malfunctioning, perhaps a circuit board or other sensor component is failing, refrigerators are not my area of expertise.

We are currently located in Crosville TN. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Guardsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #2

Not a repair man but sounds like the evaporator fan may not be working or coils are freezing over and icing the fan?
do some searches with your model number include your issues

Someone should chime in with similar issues and help

Let us know what ya find
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #3

If you see any frost buildup around the fan outlet in the freezer when it dies, look on Youtube for your model and "defrost strip."

Common problem, fairly easy repair.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I had similar issue with our sub-zero fridge at home. I searched online like the other poster for my issue. Several suggestions were possible from a $11 for defrost switch to $600 fix for a compressor. I started with switch and that fixed it. Apparently the defrost switch would get stuck in defrost, warming the freezer and fridge while heater elements stayed on. After swapping cheap part it’s fixed.
2007 CC Affinity 700 custom #6737
ISX600 / CM870 serial number 97166522
f360racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #5

Thanks for your responses will post my fix once i find one

Old 12-07-2020, 06:40 AM   #6

Hi Our Amana defrost failed. It was the control board that was located on the refridge side up by the temp control knobs. If you have the same unit as mine (ACD2238HTS) The defrost failure was evident on the freezer side bottom of the compartment was loaded with ice blocking air flow. It was made up of 3 components. The control board, (page 11 in attached) heating element and coil temp sensor (Page 23). All were available on Amazon. I think there were some updated part numbers. As long as it cools it means the compressor is working and it is a control or sensor issue. (assuming the coils are clean). If attached is not your model. I would search the web for the parts list and work from there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Repair Part List - ACD2238HTS.pdf (707.1 KB, 33 views)
jwlce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #7

Thanks Jim, next time if fails i will investigate the area you suggested.

Howard
Old 12-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardsman View Post
Thanks Jim, next time if fails i will investigate the area you suggested.

Howard
Howard,

So you found a repair or did it just start working again?

Thanks,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlce View Post
Hi Our Amana defrost failed. It was the control board that was located on the refridge side up by the temp control knobs. If you have the same unit as mine (ACD2238HTS) The defrost failure was evident on the freezer side bottom of the compartment was loaded with ice blocking air flow. It was made up of 3 components. The control board, (page 11 in attached) heating element and coil temp sensor (Page 23). All were available on Amazon. I think there were some updated part numbers. As long as it cools it means the compressor is working and it is a control or sensor issue. (assuming the coils are clean). If attached is not your model. I would search the web for the parts list and work from there.
Thanks for your contribution to the CC knowledge base. I’m glad to find another 2007 Affinity owner too.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #10

Greetings all, It has finally failed, the interval it would operate after being turned off for a couple of hours has gone from a week to a few days now to a few hours. During this time we have consumed the contents and given the rest to our family to keep in their refrigerators & freezers, we are spending Christmas & New Years in MI.

I have ordered the Defrost control board and the defrost thermostat. And will start with replacing the board first, hopefully that may cure the problem. If not them getting the refer our of the cabinet is my next challenge. Is there some one who can tell me if it can be moved out without removing the doors? I have considered getting a furniture dolly and building it up to the right height to pull out and then roll forward into the coach to access the rear, and then replacing the other likely components failures, start capacitor, and the relay. However if my problem lies in the compressor or the plumbing i will need to get a good repair tech to come in and trouble shoot as this is beyond my skill set.

We have contacted numerous RV repair service centers and almost all want to replace my refrigerator rather than to repair it. Based on the info here and elsewhere I am more comfortable fixing the unit i have than taking a chance on a new one of questionable quality.

Thanks again to all who have responded.

Cheers,
Old 12-31-2020, 10:46 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Hope you can get it fixed with the parts you bought. I replaced our NDR1292 with a Magic Chef 3 years ago. With doors on, I was able to pull out the old and push in the new without problems, as the galley area is wide enough for a counter depth fridge. I believe your Amana is a counter depth, you should be fine to move it around.

If not a simple fix, you would have to assess the cost of the repairs vs a new unit like Samsung RF18 (many happy owners). If you can pull an Amana out, I would assume you would be able to install a new unit with ease.

Good luck and keep us posted.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:53 AM   #12

I had the same issue occur on our ACD2238HTS Amana

Quote:
Hi Our Amana defrost failed. It was the control board that was located on the refridgerator side up by the temp control knobs. If you have the same unit as mine (ACD2238HTS) The defrost failure was evident on the freezer side bottom of the compartment was loaded with ice blocking air flow. It was made up of 3 components. The control board (Item No. 12 Part No. 67004704 or 67003375 Description BOARD, ADAPT DEFROST) , (page 11 in JWLCE's post attached attachment) heating element (Item No. 7 Part No. 67004188 Description HEATER, EVAP) and coil temp sensor (Item No. 3 Part No. 67003964 (new Part No. WP67004757Description THERMOSTAT, DEPROST) (Page 23 in attachment of JWLCE's above post). I found some items on Amazon and other retailers. As long as it cools it means the compressor is working and it is a control or sensor issue. (assuming the coils are clean). If attached is not your model. I would search the web for the parts list and work from there.
I looked up the parts from JWLCE post above and searched for prices online. Once the parts come in I will replace one by one and update this post They were reasonable enough to order all of them ahead of time and I'll keep extra parts in RV inventory!
Old 09-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #13

The control board fixed my Amana too!

Quote:
Switched out control board with two screws and the fridge works!

Tags
air, fridge, repair