Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #1

Another Hurricane Heater Question

How much fuel does a Hurricane heater use? I have had the wet bay heater on for the last month. I blew out my water lines, but did not fully winterize my Coach because we are leaving next Friday for a short trip to Fla. I will do full winterization when I return.

If I use Hurricane to heat entire coach, approx. how much fuel doe it use in a 24 hour period? I know almost nothing about the thing. It does work, I came home from work the other week and I heard it running and went over to Coach and could feel warm exhaust coming from the pipe. I need to perform a full service on the unit as well, but just have not gotten to it yet. We have never camped in cold weather to date.

Thanks in advance
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2022, 01:03 PM   #2

The CO45XL model I had used about a third of a gallon of diesel per hour of run time (i.e. time actually burning diesel, which isn't constant). Yours may not be the XL model but is probably similar. How much it would need to run depends on how cold the ambient temperature is, what you have your thermostat set on, and the maintenance level of your unit.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ55 View Post
The CO45XL model I had used about a third of a gallon of diesel per hour of run time (i.e. time actually burning diesel, which isn't constant). Yours may not be the XL model but is probably similar. How much it would need to run depends on how cold the ambient temperature is, what you have your thermostat set on, and the maintenance level of your unit.
Thanks, my fuel gauge does not work so I needed to have so idea as to not run out of fuel. third of a gallon per hour is not enough to get me in trouble at this point.

I was out today and have a light on the panel so I have an issue. I need to service the unit sooner rather than later it seems.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Every once in awhile, I will get the fault light. I just turn the nit off and back on and I will be good for a number of days before it happens again,
You don't have to worry about the coach running out of fuel because the pickup for the Hurricane only goes 3/4 the way down into the fuel takn
Old 01-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #5

When you service the unit, if you replace still working parts - nozzle and ignitor - keep them for spares. Make sure you clean the carbon out of the combustion air slots around the burner assembly.

Make sure it's running well before depending on it to keep your rig from freezing while you are gone. Do you have someone that can occasionally check on the rig while you are gone?

Another option is: In the time it would take to service your unit you could winterize your rig.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #6

Something that I believe causes flameouts on a pretty regular basis is a plugged up muffler. The original muffler was spitting out metal pieces and I was getting flameouts every 15-30 minutes or so. I replaced the muffler and now the unit flames out every week or so, not like it did with the original one
Old 01-09-2022, 12:32 AM   #7

Can you give us a source, brand and model number for the muffler?
Old 01-09-2022, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
When you service the unit, if you replace still working parts - nozzle and ignitor - keep them for spares. Make sure you clean the carbon out of the combustion air slots around the burner assembly.

Make sure it's running well before depending on it to keep your rig from freezing while you are gone. Do you have someone that can occasionally check on the rig while you are gone?

Another option is: In the time it would take to service your unit you could winterize your rig.
Normally, I fully winterize my coach at the end of the season and I keep it right here at the house under an RV port. This year we have a short trip to Florida planned for next week so I just blew out the water lines and turned on the wet bey heater for insurance. It has been mostly warm here with only a few nights below freezing. I also have a small electric heater inside the coach set for medium heat and the cabinet doors open under the sinks.

I plan to fully winterize when we return from Florida. I do plan to service the heater. I hate having anything that does not work, even if I don't use it. I want it ready to go if needed. Just had not gotten to the Hurricane heater yet. It has some pretty cool features when operational.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:23 AM   #9

This is the one I bought. Only a few small tweaks to make it fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBD99409-B3E6-48E2-AC32-AB35B838A36F.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	353377  
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:03 AM   #10

ITR also sells mufflers for Hurricane and Oasis units, although they're probably more expensive than third party options. I got one of theirs when we updated our system from a failing Hurricane to an Oasis. Their mufflers are listed on page 6 of their Accessories document; see https://itrheat.com/wp-content/uploa...cessoriesF.pdf
Old 01-09-2022, 11:39 AM   #11

The ITR mufflers are stainless steel because they are basically for a marine environment. That makes them $$$. The huts aren't stainless and over time, little pieces of metal come blowing out and I believe that they will hinder the flow of exhaust. I have no idea where my muffler came from or what brand it is. Than one from Amazon looks pretty good and as long as the inlet and exhaust ports are sized to fit, I'd use it.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
This is the one I bought. Only a few small tweaks to make it fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks!
Old 01-09-2022, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The ITR mufflers are stainless steel because they are basically for a marine environment. That makes them $$$. The huts aren't stainless and over time, little pieces of metal come blowing out and I believe that they will hinder the flow of exhaust. I have no idea where my muffler came from or what brand it is. Than one from Amazon looks pretty good and as long as the inlet and exhaust ports are sized to fit, I'd use it.
I pale to think what ITR hit you up for for a muffler!
Old 01-10-2022, 06:24 AM   #14
Community Moderator

I read that a lot of race cars use aluminum T6061 muffler, light weight and rust free. Look around you might be able to have a sports car shop in your area do a custom fit.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hurricane