Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #1

Antifreeze for Radiator

I notice that the antifreeze on my glass indicator that is on the front of the tank, shows that it is a little low.

I just bought the CC Intrigue a month ago. So far no leaking radiator, and no over heating after driving it about 1000 miles over steep mountains.

What kind of antifreeze should I put in the tank to top it off? Also, is it normal for motorhomes not to have an overflow tank for the fluid? The overflow hose coming from the tank just opens up to the ground below.

The sticker on the tank show that it was made by Radiator Specialties, out of Sacramento , Ca in April 2006.
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #2

There is no way for us to know what the previous owner(s) put in your radiator. I suggest that you decide what coolant you wish to have in the coach and make the change. It's not cheap but then you'll know where you are with it.

In the meantime if the coolant is low, and you don't know what is on there, add distilled water. That will slightly lower your freeze protection but not have other material effect.

Good luck.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #3

What color is the coolant?
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
efstewart

If the color is red it is probably Oat 50/50 but to be sure you can stop at any truck repair like the one at Loves and they can check it and tell you exactly. Being a little low in this hot weather can cause the check engine light to come on when you are pulling grades.

Let us know what you find out as we all learn from each other.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 07-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #5

The color is a light green. Same color as the antifreeze that goes in the hydro Hot system.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MY 2007 Allure had the light green which was Fleetguard Fleetcharge coolant. I suspect you have the original coolant and I would also recommend a complete drain, flush and refill with OAT coolant. OAT is long lasting and my 425 ISL ran cooler when I changed to OAT.

At the very least check your SCA levels to make sure the coolant hasn't aged out. If it is the original coolant, at 13 years old I would get it changed out ASAP.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ditto here.
I had mine drined, flushed and filled with oat which is what is recommended today. I carry extra since they didn't fill mine - only ran it for 5 min so when I was on the road and hit my first grade got the check engine light. Seemed like every grade after that. Tank was almost a gal low but nothing since.

Richard
Old 07-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #8

Antifreeze for Radiator

All Fleetguard coolants are compatible with each other. It is recommended to check SCA (supplemental coolant additive) to make sure the nitrite borate and silica levels are in range. This prevents cavitation on the Cummins wet sleeved piston.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si..._TB03-05-2.pdf

Ps. I replaced my coolant with ES Compleat, a non OAT. Half the price.m

Replace the thermostat and water pump and tensioner pulley at the same time if they are all original. At least the thermostat.

There is a recommended flushing strategy out there if you are doing it yourself.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #9

Sorry guys, but I didn't get the memo on what OAT stands for!
Old 07-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
Sorry guys, but I didn't get the memo on what OAT stands for!

Organic Acid Technology. Additives to antifreeze.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator