Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

AT&T Mobley in 2000 Intrigue

I have been reading about this AT&T Mobley device for a mobile hot spot in 1996 and newer vehicles. I understand the device plugs into the OBD II port and turns your vehicle into a wireless hot spot. The data rates seem to be reasonable, especially if you are an existing AT&T customer with a family share package.

But I am not sure if my 2000 Intrigue even has an on board diagnostics port (OBD II). Dopey me.

Anyway, has anybody had any experience with this device in a vintage CC (say 1998 through 2003)? Do we have an OBD II port in our Country Coaches of this vintage?

This seems like it would be the hot ticket for use with a cell range extender for reception, then using a streaming service like Netflix or DirectTVnow for television allowing us to abandon the dish, once and or all.

Any thoughts?
gary rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #2

Don't plan on trying to plug the Mobley into a OBD, just buy one of the many powered harnesses that have been adapted with a OBD plug. This also allows you to move the Mobley around in your coach, if you want to.

We're now starting our 5th week of this years big trip, and I made an overhaul to our Data Communication equipment before we left. This includes:

-ATT iPhone 7 with Hotspot for the DW, with a 20GB Shared Data Plan with her Mom (Who is at home, and has a Samsung S5, and mostly uses the phone for texting. On a busy month, she may nudge .75GB.) As well as a Unite Explore MiFi. The plan also has one month of rollover to the next month. For example, we started the this billing cycle, with a left over 18GB, so that gives us a total of ~38GB to use this month. We also Mobley, with it's on 22GB of data usage, before the potential of Network De-prioritization could occur.

-I have a Verizon phone, Samsung S6 with hotspot, and it has the Grand Fathered Unlimited Data Plan. It has been our 'Go To' data source for several years now.

-For WiFI, we use the WiFi Ranger GOac, and the Elite AC. The GOac is what the bulk of our Data using devices are attached to while traveling. We can use Park WiFi if we want, or we can also connect the GOac to whichever device we care to use in a campground or RV Park, based upon data speeds available, and data GB available on a given device. On neat feature, every device except the wife's iPhone 7, can be tethered to the GOac - reducing one less WiFi 'handshake', and thus better data speeds.

=======

OK - So enough background!

The Mobley has in many locations, performed very well for us. The ZTE device is an older chipset of technology, but so far I've been impressed with the performance for price ratio. We do have the Maximum Signal AMP, which I know in one location helped data speeds.

That being said, no question the Unite Explore which is MIMO capable, and we have connected to a Mobile Marks roof top (Actually on the AC shroud in this case.) MiMo antenna - is the performance download/upload king of speeds. (We saw 95 Mbps download speeds at Cherry Creek State Park, compared to the ~20's Mbps download speeds of the Mobley.

IMO, the Mobley is a still for the price. But, if being connected data wise is important to you, suggest you have alternate means of connectivity in your arsenal...

Opinons will vary!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #3

Smitty - Thanks for sharing your cell and WiFi signal acquisition systems details.

My Bride and I are all in with Apple, including iPhones, iPad, and two Macbook pro's. We are not chained to the mast with regard to our internet communication needs, as we are both early retired, but it is important for internet banking, paying monthly utility bills for out B&M home base, and the like.

We have WiFi hot-spots on both of our iPhones, so maybe I just increase our monthly data allotment to something in the 20 gig range and call it macaroni.

When we are streaming an AT&T product, like DirectTVNow, the usage is not supposed to count against our normal monthly consumption and plan limits, so we would still have ample capacity for other streaming services, such as Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime.

Can you tell we are totally ready to cut the cord and ditch our Kingdome SD?

I like the idea of an OBDII adapter that I could wire into any 12vdc source. Having the flexibility to locate the ZTE Mobley in other locations could have benefits assuming inherent range limitations, if any.

My biggest concern will be cell signal strength, as we are going to be in the John Day, Oregon area during the eclipse. Toward that end, how/where did you make roof penetrations to bring the Max Signal coaxial cable for the outside antenna into your coach?

I've been wanting to add a cell extender, but I don't want it to be seen inside the coach. I was thinking about a trucker style antenna mounted to the rear ladder, then I sort of glaze over thinking about the hassle and say THWit...just take what I can get over the airways with my iPhone and hot-spot setup.

I know, it's late and I'm rambling...thanks again.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJackso View Post
I have been reading about this AT&T Mobley device for a mobile hot spot in 1996 and newer vehicles. I understand the device plugs into the OBD II port and turns your vehicle into a wireless hot spot. The data rates seem to be reasonable, especially if you are an existing AT&T customer with a family share package.

But I am not sure if my 2000 Intrigue even has an on board diagnostics port (OBD II). Dopey me.

Anyway, has anybody had any experience with this device in a vintage CC (say 1998 through 2003)? Do we have an OBD II port in our Country Coaches of this vintage?

This seems like it would be the hot ticket for use with a cell range extender for reception, then using a streaming service like Netflix or DirectTVnow for television allowing us to abandon the dish, once and or all.

Any thoughts?
You don't need a ODB diagnostic port. There are AC adapters and USB adapters available to provide power to it. I have AC adapter and it's plugged into an outlet in a front upper cabinet.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #5

As for running cables into the coach thru the roof.

I have to combination boxes (Like 4 gang boxes.) that were installed when we added solar. One is for fishing the wires down thru to the solar controller, the other is for any other wires I want to feed in/out to the roof. As solar was the main focus, I chose a cabinet just in front of our closet, to have the cables run down thru. So two holes in the roof, with about a 1 - 1 /14" (Can't recall the actual diameter.) conduits feeding down from each of the two combination boxes.

I then chose a cabinet close to this one, to become our 'Communication Command Cabinet'. Have 12V and also have ran a 110V power bar to the area too. (All cables fished thru 1" holes in the side cabinet walls, towards the back of the cabinets. Power cords fished up along the top side, and antenna (5 cables) and CAT5 (POE/Communicate with the WFR Elite FM antenna) wires fished along the bottom back of the cabinets.)
======

Suggest you look over your cabinets, and find one to take part of to support a communication command areas! You could even add a shelf to a larger cabinet, and only take a portion of it, as the gear is usually not that large. (Mine is in a half upper bedroom cabinet, that is above the heated floors control, it was the smallest cabinet in our bedroom.)

Think about if you will be adding say a Max Signal Amp, or a Wilson RV Amp, etc... If you are adding a cellular amp that requires the unit to be close to or on top off the inside repeater antenna, factor that. If you're using a phone as a hotspot, you may want the cabinet out in the living area so you can hear and get to the phone faster.

Plan for the future, as we all know things change in communication. That is why I added a dedicated combination/4 gang type box with a large enough pass thru conduit to allow for future cabling feeds.

If you've never visited their site, Technomadia has good info to just read thru to consider different options and choices as far as equipment. They have a good thread going on the Mobley too. RVMOBILEINTERNET.COM is their site.

Best to you,
Smitty
Old 06-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

I have a question regarding running coax cable. Could someone share where the hole is in slide that takes the telephone wire that goes to the plumbing bay from the table? I would be happy too elaborate on why I think I need to do this.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

Smitty - You are so right about the shelf life of technological advances. Now that I think about it, maybe the best solution is to really cut the cord and go have some fun...sort of like we did in the 60's. No phone, no problem...

Regards, Rick
Old 06-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJackso View Post
Smitty - You are so right about the shelf life of technological advances. Now that I think about it, maybe the best solution is to really cut the cord and go have some fun...sort of like we did in the 60's. No phone, no problem...

Regards, Rick
Just don't cut the cord too much... Back packing and tent camping without air mattresses = sore blisters and backs!!!

Best,
Smitty
Old 06-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #9

Smitty - Oh, trust me. It'll still be glamping...but if I can't be reached for a couple of days, well saylapoof...

Regards, Rick.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #10

You guys have my head spinning with all of these Moblys, OBD's GOac's.

We have used for many years my Verizon MiFi and it works just find for all of the Internet searching we need to do and staying connected to the office. Speed is great and I just plug into my laptop and away I go...About the size of a pak of smokes but 1/2 as thick...Even with the weakest signal it works good...

J M $.02...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
You guys have my head spinning with all of these Moblys, OBD's GOac's.

We have used for many years my Verizon MiFi and it works just find for all of the Internet searching we need to do and staying connected to the office. Speed is great and I just plug into my laptop and away I go...About the size of a pak of smokes but 1/2 as thick...Even with the weakest signal it works good...

J M $.02...
Mobley works much the same as your Verizon MiFi. But with the attraction of unlimited service from AT&T for just $20 / month.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote