Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #1

Back up camera question

I purchased a highly rated, wireless back up camera to replace the original camera in my coach. Now I am having second thoughts about drilling the 1/2" hole needed for the power supply wires (I hate drilling holes in anything, because holes are FOREVER).

My question is this: Do you think it would operate properly if I installed the wireless camera in the original camera location inside the rear cap? It is fairly easy to access from above the bed and has power wires available. Antenna would be between the end cap and rear of cabinet above the bed.

Coach still has original radio with built in back up camera and neither works works. I have watched Brian's videos but didn't really want to put $2 or $3K in a stereo/backup camera combo either.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Can you do a trial install with no permanent mounting?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Can you do a trial install with no permanent mounting?
That's likely my best option, just mock it up in place and see how it does. Just wondered if we had any AV masters that might know up front if it would likely work or not.

I am also torn as to not wanting to hurt the long term value of my coach. I have no plans to sell for the next 10 years or so but life has no warranty so you never know. I want to make it as nice as possible and work as nice as possible also.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #4

I have a 2000 Allure. I was able to use the existing wiring and install a new camera and monitor. I went in through the access panel and used a dremel to cut the housing from the inside and install my new camera. I like you, did not want to drill a hole or change out the rear camera housing.

I bought my camera set up from rear view safety, super easy and used the existing wiring. You can search my posts, I included pictures and a explanation of how I installed it.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
Community Moderator

dfuelman, I replaced the backup camera shortly after we acquired the coach in 2011. I bought one on ebay with night vision and installed it using the same coaxial cable. Initially I took the 12v from inside the rear cap (access from the overhead cabinet in the bedroom). But it stayed on 24/7 (think no harm as ours has been working for 9 years now). Later I used a wireless remote to turn it on/off. A few years ago, I led a wire to the camera from the last bay at passenger side and made it ignition controlled - when engine key is at on the camera is on (with 30 seconds delay by design), when engine is off the camera is off.

Our display is what we got back then - a 7" Alpine multimedia head unit, playing radio, dvd, sirius and gps (with a hard drive). It works great. Nowadays I heard Pioneer head unit is nice.

LMK if you have questions or run into issues.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #6

John Jones and Countryfit, wanted to let you know I have been side tracked a little with other things but I do appreciate the input.

I believe my new camera does have night vision, I just wonder if there is enough space for it to see through the "window" in the end cap where the current camera is now. ??? John, I want to go back and re-read your thread again, I think yours is one I read prior to buying the camera I have now.

I still may wind up replacing the radio and camera, I just wasn't sure if I could reuse the cable or not.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
I purchased a highly rated, wireless back up camera to replace the original camera in my coach. Now I am having second thoughts about drilling the 1/2" hole needed for the power supply wires (I hate drilling holes in anything, because holes are FOREVER).

My question is this: Do you think it would operate properly if I installed the wireless camera in the original camera location inside the rear cap? It is fairly easy to access from above the bed and has power wires available. Antenna would be between the end cap and rear of cabinet above the bed.

Coach still has original radio with built in back up camera and neither works works. I have watched Brian's videos but didn't really want to put $2 or $3K in a stereo/backup camera combo either.
I guess my question is if both the original radio and the camera do not work, How do you know the camera is bad and just not the radio? From what I have seen most of the cameras produce a standard video signal. You might want to plug the camera into an old tv to verify its operation. Many new radios will support back up cameras. It is what I did with mine.
jwlce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:19 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post

I still may wind up replacing the radio and camera, I just wasn't sure if I could reuse the cable or not.
If your old cable is coaxial, yes, you can use it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #9

Here is what I did on a prior Beaver, not wanting to cut any holes. I ran the new camera wires along the frame rail and fished them up to top of rear cap. I then removed the center clearance light and mounted the camera there without drilling any holes.

It was not perfect but easy to do and you can remove it prior to selling your RV and put clearance light back. One rarely looks up at the top of the cap anyway.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogoil View Post
Here is what I did on a prior Beaver, not wanting to cut any holes. I ran the new camera wires along the frame rail and fished them up to top of rear cap. I then removed the center clearance light and mounted the camera there without drilling any holes.

It was not perfect but easy to do and you can remove it prior to selling your RV and put clearance light back. One rarely looks up at the top of the cap anyway.
That's not a bad idea. I did find right after I purchased my camera set up, they now sell cameras designed to go where the marker lights are and they have a marker light built in, so you don't lose the clearance light.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:05 PM   #11

Original is valuable unless it’s old outdated electronics

I am also torn as to not wanting to hurt the long term value of my coach. I have no plans to sell for the next 10 years or so but life has no warranty so you never know. I want to make it as nice as possible and work as nice as possible also.[/QUOTE]

I like original but in the case of electronics I would rather have 2021 electronics than original 2007 stuff. Think original 2007 iPhone compared to 2021 iPhone “13+”.

I just bought my 2007 with an inoperable backup camera system. So upgraded one that worked would make me happy. Hope mine is an easy fix so it’s operational but I am interested on your upgrades
2007 CC Affinity 700 custom #6737
ISX600 / CM870 serial number 97166522
f360racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f360racer View Post
I am also torn as to not wanting to hurt the long term value of my coach. I have no plans to sell for the next 10 years or so but life has no warranty so you never know. I want to make it as nice as possible and work as nice as possible also.
I like original but in the case of electronics I would rather have 2021 electronics than original 2007 stuff. Think original 2007 iPhone compared to 2021 iPhone “13+”.

I just bought my 2007 with an inoperable backup camera system. So upgraded one that worked would make me happy. Hope mine is an easy fix so it’s operational but I am interested on your upgrades[/QUOTE]

I am going to make a decision very soon. I am either going to install what I have in the original location and see if it works, or bite the bullet and buy one of those nice (but expensive) Pioneer units with the big screen and install it in place of what I all ready have. that would mean new amp, speakers, the whole nine yards and likely more than I want to do myself.

That also leads to another issue, finding someone local to do a nice job and not burn me up (literally and figuratively) at the same time. LOL

Tags
camera