Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

If less then 100 amps, you should be fine.

With that rating, it should be fine for house systems/salesman switch and would be a good choice.

But, certainly not rated as a battery boost solenoid to handle starting amps.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
With that rating, it should be fine for house systems/salesman switch and would be a good choice.

But, certainly not rated as a battery boost solenoid to handle starting amps.
I wouldn’t be concerned about the battery boost solenoid, it only consumes power when activated (while engine is running or boost button pressed).

Bill
Old 11-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #17

You can't use that type of solenoid for battery boost/charging/isolation service.

Its a latching relay that only needs a shot of power. A constant signal from the control, while used as a isolation/charging solenoid would burn out the coil.

In a boost circuit, You wouldn't know if it was connected or not.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:51 PM   #18

In my case it's only the house battery disconnect solenoid that remains constantly hot. I don't know how many amps it's capable of drawing or what the rated are for the circuit. I'm not sure but I seem to recall a 200 amp breaker. I can look tomorrow.
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:04 PM   #19

I installed the exactly solenoid Twinboat referenced, Cole Hersee 24200, about 6 months ago and have not experienced any issues. Yes it is only rated for 110 amps while the one I removed was rated 200 amps. At least on my coach the inverter is powered by a different cable than the one one the salesman switch controls. The HUGE amp draw, inverter, does not pass through that solenoid on my coach. I did change the salesmans switch to a momentary switch. I just went out and extended the living room slide. I saw the amps at 135 which does exceed the rating of the that solenoid, but extending the slide is a pretty short period of time. I would assume that 110 amp rating is continious and the solenoid would be able to handle more than 110 amps for short periods of time. The parasitic draw on my coach is high even after changing that solenoid, but every little bit helps.
letsride4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
I also installed the Cole Hersee 200A continuous duty boost solenoids (plural in the case of my Concept) and I carry a couple spares. It’s not uncommon for them to fail and you can’t necessarily tell by whether or not they “sound” like they are working.

My friend has a 2001 Affinity and his boost relay is located in the accessory compartment under the driver’s seat. There’s a panel which can be opened and it’s inside. I would bet your Magna is the same.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:38 PM   #21

From reading all these posts, clearly, CC put our battery boost solenoids in different places in different years and models. Mine is in the electrical Bay with the inverter at the back of the third storage bay, not in the electrical Bay under the driver's seat.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:04 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Different make/model, but I also replaced the boost solenoid with the Cole Hersee 24213 200 Amp solenoid. The old one, was well old and I try keeping things refreshed that tend to break down.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
From reading all these posts, clearly, CC put our battery boost solenoids in different places in different years and models. Mine is in the electrical Bay with the inverter at the back of the third storage bay, not in the electrical Bay under the driver's seat.

They sure did. CC changed the boost system designs over the years and even located the boost solenoids in various locations from one unit to the next. My Concept has two boost systems; a chassis boost and a generator boost. Additionally, my boost systems use two solenoids each for a total of four solenoids. Mine are also in horrible locations bolted to the frame rails behind each battery tray. I would like to relocate them to the electrical bay but not sure it’s worth the effort.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Different make/model, but I also replaced the boost solenoid with the Cole Hersee 24213 200 Amp solenoid. The old one, was well old and I try keeping things refreshed that tend to break down.
Does the new one get as hot as the old one did?
Old 12-04-2021, 10:58 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No idea. The new one is rated for continuous use, so probably not a big issue. Hope never to use it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-05-2021, 04:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
No idea. The new one is rated for continuous use, so probably not a big issue. Hope never to use it.
Your boost solenoid doubles as the isolation/charging solenoid so it's activated any time you are driving.

In many systems, it works both ways, in that it closes when either the chassis or house batteries are being charged.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your boost solenoid doubles as the isolation/charging solenoid so it's activated any time you are driving.

In many systems, it works both ways, in that it closes when either the chassis or house batteries are being charged.
Not in my MH. I have a Victron DC-DC charger that charges the house batteries off the alternator. Just finished installing the boost solenoid two days and the only thing operating the coil is the dash switch.

In our previous Minnie Winnie MH what you say would be correct. Except in that MH it did not have a dash switch, but I had a short jumper I could operate the coil if ever needed.

RVs are wired in many different ways.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #28
TR4

My solenoid works as twinboat described. It’s activated when it receives a ground signal from the boost switch or the oil pressure sending unit. As soon as the engine starts and builds oil pressure, the switch goes to ground joining chassis and house batteries.

Bill

Tags
battery, solenoid