Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #1

Battery Box Rebuild

When I purchased my coach, the previous owner advised me that he had "repaired" the battery box after having the batteries fall out in the road on the way to Florida. His repair was basic at best and I knew it would need to be addressed in the future.

Last Friday the time finally arrived to address this issue. My race car chassis builder, Bret Hamilton, took the whole day and gave me a hand with this project, (He is truly a gifted fabricator and a great friend) We removed the 3/4" plywood floor the PO installed for a battery box floor, an and cut out the remaining rusted sections. These were replaced with new steel and two new floor supports were added to the center of the box to help carry the weight of the batteries. He then made a new floor using perforated stainless steel sheet to replace the factory expanded metal ( most of the factory floor was gone, it is what fell out in the highway).

Once finished at the fab shop, I brought the coach back home and treated all the new and old steel with Ospho rust converter and let it sit overnight. Then everything got a fresh coat of Rustoleum satin black. I used aluminum angle to make locators for the batteries (which will be replaced very soon with 6 volt golf cart for house) and I added more protective wrap to some of the battery cables and tried to neaten them up as best I could.

I am more than happy with how it turned out and I certain it will last another 20 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	345538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box 2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	345539  

Name:	Battery Box 3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	345540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box 4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	345541  

Name:	Battery box 5.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	345542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box 6.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	345543  

Name:	Battery Box 7.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	345544  
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #2

Nice
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #3

Great job, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #4

Looks great, I need to check mine as well and see if this project is in my future.
mrmattmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

Nice work. Good to have friends, even those who can't fabricate. A plus for you.
Wondering how long the original box lasted. What is the year and model coach please?? I may have to take a good look at mine.
Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Wondering how long the original box lasted. What is the year and model coach please?? I may have to take a good look at mine.
Thank you.

From the OP signature line:

" 2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #1119"
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:01 PM   #7

All in all a nice job. But, you may want to rethink the aluminum against the stainless steel, it will likely result in galvanic corrosion unless you insulate them from each other with some plastic or wood. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Nice work. Good to have friends, even those who can't fabricate. A plus for you.
Thank you.
We bought the coach in the beginning of 2020 (Just before the World lost it's mind) and I believe the batteries fell out in January 2019, when PO left headed for Florida. He did not get far, and luckily was able to make it back home some how.

The original support braces were gone completely and he made a floor from 3/4" plywood (which, by the way did not sit level, and cause batteries to slide towards the door as you traveled down the road).

There was still pretty fair amount of rust in the rear most support, which we cut out and replaced completely, and the front corner, behind the tire was getting bad. We cut out approx 8" of the corner, far enough to get back to solid steel and welded in new section. Also added two new center supports to carry the weight of the batteries, and support the stainless steel.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
All in all a nice job. But, you may want to rethink the aluminum against the stainless steel, it will likely result in galvanic corrosion unless you insulate them from each other with some plastic or wood. Good luck.
I had looked into some very nice plastic trays that also incorporate hold downs for the batteries, but space is at a premium.

When I upgrade to the 6 volt golf cart batteries, I will try to come up with something better and again, I do need to come up with a hold down as well.

I have seen plastic banding straps used as hold downs. They do a good job, just tough to deal with if you have to every take them loose. Also though about the same straps like used for boat batteries. I'm always on the look out for just the right thing.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you.
I don't know how a man makes it in this world without friends. I am lucky to have several friends that are so talented and are willing to help me when I ask.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #11

looks like you guys did a good job. This is definitely in my future too...I've been putting it off. Thanks for sharing.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:11 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nice. Looks like you have room for additional house batteries.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Nice. Looks like you have room for additional house batteries.
I want to go with four 6 volt golf cart house batteries and do away with the 8D that's in there now (don't think it's even a deep cycle ???) I'm pretty sure I have room, just not much "Extra" room. The two group 31 chassis batteries are too long to fit end to end so that hurts. I'll figure out something and I look at every other CC I can to see how they are laid out. I think these coaches had Three 8D's from the factory, 1 start and 2 deep cycle. My back hurts just thinking about that LOL
Old 10-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
FWIW, my 4 golf cart house and 2 8D starting batteries sit on separate steel trays.

A plastic tray liner sits inside of each tray between the batteries and the floor of the tray.

None are strapped to the tray.

Still working after 26 years here in our arid environment.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, rebuild