Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:30 PM   #1

Battery charging in storage

Hi

I purchased a storage unit with 2 20 amp outlets. Common power so I canít change. GFI o outlet trips when I plug in coach on 110 cord. I stepped down the charger to charge at 5 amps and I turned everything off in coach. Still trips the outlet.

So I get a 30 amp charger and connect to house batteries to keep up with draw of inverter with fridge on. That was my goal all along as I wanted to position coach to be able to be ready on short notice and keep batteries charged. Problem Is battery charger shuts off after about 24 hours and batteries start to discharge.

Questions are

Does anyone know how to get coach plugged in to regular outlet and have it power inverter with fridge on?

Does anyone know of an external charger that can charge at a rate if at least 20 amps and reliable enough to stay on ? Iím using a dewalt charger now. About 120.00 so I thought a good one.

Thanks for your help

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same problem when I plug into my house front porch 110 volt outlet.

I've discovered if I first go inside the coach to the power panel and flip the two main breakers off and THEN plug into the house power it works, of course I turn the two main breakers back on after plugging into the house.

I'm curious about why you leave the refrigerator running while in storage.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:08 AM   #3

I simply turn off inverter & fridge and use 2 Batty Minders. I use a small one (1.5 - 2.0 A) for chassis battys and a larger (2, 4 or 8A) one for house bank of 8 - 6V AGMs. I wired & mounted them permanently with one extension cord to plug in from eng batty Bay near the outlet.
I figure I'm not an ambulance of fire truck that needs to be ready to roll on a moments notice so turning on fridge while we load up is not a problem. Plus I dont like running inverter while in storage... there have been reports of failure & fire and I dont want anything spoiling in the fridge when unattended.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:12 AM   #4

You need a battery maintainer.That should stay on day after day.

A 10 amp unit should do what you want to do. It may not cover the fridge draw but the fridge cycles, so it will recover.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #5

Unless you really need the motorhome to be ready on a moments notice, I would just make sure the batteries are charged and disconnect them and open the fridge doors when in storage. That way there is no chance of having dead batteries when you are ready for your next trip.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #6

I must be missing something here. I store our coach at my shop. Where it is parked there isn't any electric (yet). So, now and then I run the generator just to top off batteries. Now, when we are going to go out I bring coach up near the shop and plug it in to a 110 outlet. This runs the inverter-charger and keeps the batteries charged. It never trips (no gfi) even if the batteries are low and the charger is drawing a lot. I can even turn on the electric portion of the water heater and it won't trip. So I don't understand why you can't plug your coach like usual into the 20 amp plug? Yes you need an adapter but that's all we do and it works just fine.

maybe I am missing the gfi part. Is that's what's tripping? Can you turn off all the breakers except one for the fridge and one for the inverter? I had a trailer tripping the gfi and traced it to one bad circuit. I disconnected the circuit which wasn't used and it was fine after that.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #7
Community Moderator

There is an adapter to plug into two 20a sockets to form a 240v 20a source (similar to 50a source but with reduced current). I have one but have not had a chance to use it. Lemme know if you want to see how it looks like.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
There is an adapter to plug into two 20a sockets to form a 240v 20a source (similar to 50a source but with reduced current). I have one but have not had a chance to use it. Lemme know if you want to see how it looks like.
I have seen but not used those. The tricky part is you will have to find & use 2 - 120 V circuits that are out of phase in order to get 240 V. The ones I have seen include a test that verifies the circuits are put of phase or they will not connect... so it becomes a trial & error exercise unless you know which household circuits are fed from different phases of the incoming 240 V service.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
Hi

I purchased a storage unit with 2 20 amp outlets. Common power so I can’t change. GFI o outlet trips when I plug in coach on 110 cord. I stepped down the charger to charge at 5 amps and I turned everything off in coach. Still trips the outlet.

So I get a 30 amp charger and connect to house batteries to keep up with draw of inverter with fridge on. That was my goal all along as I wanted to position coach to be able to be ready on short notice and keep batteries charged. Problem Is battery charger shuts off after about 24 hours and batteries start to discharge.

Questions are

Does anyone know how to get coach plugged in to regular outlet and have it power inverter with fridge on?

Does anyone know of an external charger that can charge at a rate if at least 20 amps and reliable enough to stay on ? I’m using a dewalt charger now. About 120.00 so I thought a good one.

Thanks for your help

Tom
So where is the GFI that trips? In the storage unit? Do you own storage unit outright? Is the GFI outlet itself wired correctly? Did you test the outlet you plug your RV into? You should, you know. Too many horror stories support this.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #10

I also have this question. We are a new owner of a CC Magna and plan to store over the winter. No fridge needed.

What's procedure for plugging into 15A or 20A circuit with step down adapters and keep the house and engine batteries charged?

Thanks in advance;
Ch
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
I also have this question. We are a new owner of a CC Magna and plan to store over the winter. No fridge needed.

What's procedure for plugging into 15A or 20A circuit with step down adapters and keep the house and engine batteries charged?

Thanks in advance;
Ch

You will commonly want two separate adapters:

15 male to 30 female
30 male to 50 female

Yes, they do make 15 male to 50 female adapters, but you will find that you will need the 30 male to 50 female at some CG's anyway.

Then, you need to set the "power share"/"power save" feature on your inverter charger to 5 amps. That is 5 amps of 120 VAC so about 50 amps@ 12 VDC.

Then make sure all other breakers are OFF, so someone could not inadvertently turn on a roof air, water heater electric element, block heater, etc.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #12

Thanks Brett;
I already have those adapters for our old TT, but it was a simple plug in and it just worked.

I know the CC Magna is alot more complicated. Thanks for the procedure info. Do we need to leave the Magnum Inverter and panel in the coach in the "On" position then too?
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:

I know the CC Magna is alot more complicated. Thanks for the procedure info. Do we need to leave the Magnum Inverter and panel in the coach in the "On" position then too?

Leaving the inverter ON is a trade-off. The negative (and the reason I don't do that) is that if shore power is lost for any reason, it will quickly discharge your batteries.

The only reason to leave the inverter on is to power 120 VAC devices if shore power is lost. If right next to your house where you can monitor power-- that may be OK.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks in advance;
Ch
My coach has a Magnum Inverter / Converter (don't make me lie about model #) with a Magnum ME-RC50 controller. When I place my coach in storage I do the following:

1) While inside my coach turn off the 20 amp breaker for the residential fridge and open top doors and bottom freezer door then go outside and plug-in an LED night light
2) Keep my Southwire Surge Guard connected to my 50 amp power cord (because the greater Houston area can have some nasty thunderstorms with a lot of cloud to ground lightning)
3) Connect a 50 amp to 110 volt "pigtail" adapter to the Surge Guard
4) Connect heavy duty extension cored to the adapter then plug in to the 20 amp outlet in my spot at the storage facility
5) Wait for the Surge Guard to go through is testing sequence and the transfer switch to "switch" to shore power
6) Go inside the coach and check that the LED night light is working (just to give me comfort shore power is flowing through the coach)
7) I don't touch the ME-RC50 controller (to assure I don't mess-up the settings that NIRV in Dallas helped me program)
8) Keep the house batteries battery disconnect switch in the "on" position (i.e. don't disconnect the batteries) so that 12 volt systems like ceiling lights and window shades can be used.

For my coach and storage facility, I have not experienced the GFCI tripping on the outlet in my storage spot following this simple procedure.

Hope this helps.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, storage