Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Battery going bad

I have one of my 8D house battery going bad. at this time I'm unable to find a replacement in the area I'm in. Can I just disconnect the ground cable from this battery. Secure this cable so it does not touch anything and be safe to drive down the highway without hurting anything?
Then find a new one in the next large town. thanks in advance.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #2

I am done with 8Ds... a pair of GP31s are very close to the same capacity and fit it the same space. All you need is a couple of jumper cables to wire them I parallel.
If for house use a pair of 6V GCs are a close replacement and actually better for house/ deep cycle use
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Depending on how you connected the batteries. Take a photo and post here, we'll tell you if just disconnecting neg from the bad battery is enough... In some cases yes but other cases you'd need to remove both pos and neg cables from the bad battery but keep the good one(s) providing 12v to house and inverter .
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #4

Thanks for all the help. I disconnected the ground cable from the bad battery. then I disconnected that cable from the where it was connected to the other battery. so that battery is isolated. from any other's. Everything seems to be working now just fine and that battery is no longer hot to the touch nor spewing a liquid from the vent holes. again thanks for all the help.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

Don, I will look into those GP31 batteries. These 8D are too much for me to man handle now days. It takes 2 man and boy to get the top one into position.
Thanks.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430 View Post
Don, I will look into those GP31 batteries. These 8D are too much for me to man handle now days. It takes 2 man and boy to get the top one into position.
Thanks.
Agree... I have 3 in our boat that will need to come out at some point. I will need help.
If you stay with flooded lead acid take a look at a pair of 6V golf cart battys. They are a high volume, relatively low cost and excellent deep cycle batty.
I have used and have good service with Duracell (made by East Penn) from Sams Club.
I switched to AGM for boat and MH and with AGM either GP31 or GC provide good deep cycle service. Only change is a setting on my inverter charger.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #7

Since a couple of you have mentioned that you have changed from the 8D to the 31 class to replace those. Can those be 2 12V 31's or do I need to stick with the 6V style. If I can use the 12 volts batteries in parallel do i still need to change my inverter settings?. Or is that a given, if I use 31 style 12 volt or 6 volt deep cycle batteries, I need to change the settings?
I'm asking because of the places I use in SoCal, they are completely booked up into July. I have very little knowledge or complete understanding of changing the inverter settings as suggested.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430 View Post
Since a couple of you have mentioned that you have changed from the 8D to the 31 class to replace those. Can those be 2 12V 31's or do I need to stick with the 6V style. If I can use the 12 volts batteries in parallel do i still need to change my inverter settings?. Or is that a given, if I use 31 style 12 volt or 6 volt deep cycle batteries, I need to change the settings?
I'm asking because of the places I use in SoCal, they are completely booked up into July. I have very little knowledge or complete understanding of changing the inverter settings as suggested.
There are two factors at play here...
Inverter setting is for battery type Flooded vs AGM as they have different charging profiles for optimum performance. You inverter oper manual should list the setting avail and how to change it. Its not difficult and if needed several folks here can likely help if they know your inverter make & model.

Best house battery case size choice and V will depend on whether you want to stay with Flooded or go to AGM.
A pair of 6V GC flooded battys in series is the most economical for deep cycle use. Much better than GP31s as generally flooded Gzp 31s are designed for starting not deep cycle.
If you go AGM a pair of 6V GCs in series or a pair of GP 31s in parallel are roughly equivalent cost and AH capacity. AGMs will do a good job at both starting and deep cycle and why either will work well.
The neg with 6V in series is if one goes bad you lose everything.
With 12V you can disconnect one and still run with half the AH capacity.
Hope that clears some things up for you.
I'm familiar with Magnum inverters and can help if thats what you have.
You stated.... one of my 8D house battys.
Do you have 2?
If so making a switch would require replacing both with their equivalents that you choose as you should not mix batty types & age for best results. But if one 8D is aging out the other is likely not far behind.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #9

Don, yes I have 2 8D batteries for house batteries. One sets on a tray the same height as the starting batteries. This one is the hardest one to remove as it just about 1/4 inch from the starting batteries. The 2nd 8d is on a tray below the other 8D. Much easier to get out as nothing is in it’s way. Of course the top battery is the one that went bad this week.
I will stay with flooded, no maintenance type of battery. If I go with 4 6 volt deep cycle batteries and one goes bad as long as I have them in sets of two, I feel I could separate 2 of them and operate as I’m doing now with one set. Does that sound logical?
I have a XANTREX inverter and a magnum Battery Combiner. I will have to look closer and find the Inverter Model #.
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #10

Dave
I thought that was the case from your comments.
Replacing 2 - 8Ds with 4 - 6V GCs should provide roughly the same capacity. They are also very good for deep cycle applications. I dont think I have seen a maintainer free FLA in GC. Most go with the conventional FLA with caps and add a watering system to make maint EZ.
AGMs are a maintainer free lead acid batty but are considered "starved" as the plates are not flooded in an acid bath. Ilike mine but they are roughly 2X the $ of FLA. Advantage is no maint, no fumes, no corrosion
What ever way you go I would go with 4 new to replace both 8Ds at the same time.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:05 PM   #11

Don thanks for all your help. When I get back in town and hopefully be able to get to my trusted repair shop, i run by them what we talked about. the only reason why i look for maintenance free is that top set of batteries. very difficult because of the room between the top of battery and bottom of upper tray.

Tags
battery