Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

best product to bring back the body?

My 89 Country Coach Concept has some fading issues on the body. I assume its just a clear coat over Gel Coat. I don't see any Paint. The problem is the white chalkiness that appears. If I give it a spray of Instant Detailer or other short term wax/cleaners it looks ok for a couple days. However after a good wash the chalky comes back once dried. Anyone of a longer term solution that I might try?
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

I would think it's just a gel coat.
Meguiars has a gel coat oxidation remover that works really good. You'll need a quality buffer like a Dewalt DWP849X, and 7" buffing pads. I would use the maroon colors pads to strip off the oxidation. Then follow up with a polish on a yellow color pad. Hand wax is the last step, but by then the finish should be very slick, so wax will go on and off very easily.
Everything mentioned including the buffer can be bought on Amazon.
You'll have to clean your pads often, just rinse with hot water then spin the pad on the buffer really fast to remove the water.
It may take some time to get the hang of it. Be careful as you can strip it down to far. Maybe use the yellow pad with the oxidation remover at first until you get the hang of it.
It is a lot of work, but just do a section at a time. Once your done always use a mild cleaner to not strip the wax. It should last for years.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

When we picked up our new to us 98 Bounder (With gel coat.), it was in need of attention.

I spent a few days using Zaino AIO (All In One) product. I did my my hand, and it did a great job of cleaning up the gelcoat. (The 1st owner lived down the street from us, and he came by a few days after we were done, and said the last time he saw looking that good, was when it was new. (And we were lucky, as his wife had insisted on new decals about three years earlier, so they were in great shape.)

With the reality that quality of the gel coat finish is far superior on the CC then the Bounder (Not a knock, but IMO a fact!) - you should have a good chance of getting this looking great again, if it's not too far gone... Have used it on a friends boat too, and we used a orbital polisher for that job.

One of the great things about the Zaino (I've been a fan of all of their products for years, not inexpensive, but all do a great job. I use their ZCS Clear on areas I want either protected from UV, and or on the windshield as it is like Rain X on Steroids!) AIO product, is that it also leaves a protective layer (not wax) on the gel coat too. So one application of 'Wax On/Wax Off'.

Not as good, but less expensive and at most auto parts stores, is the TR3 product. (Does a good job of cleaning, but the protective layer does not last near as long as the Zaino.)

Best to luck to you,
Smitty

Zaino Store : Z-AIO All-in-one
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

Thanks guys

Both replies sound great. I do have a decent buffing wheel already. I cant wait to get at this job. Looking forward to some good results. I planned my vacation so I thought I would be coming back to spring temps. Ive been home 10 days and its snowed every day so far !!
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootjack View Post
...been home 10 days and its snowed every day so far !!
That sucks! We haven't had snow ... or even temps cold enough to require that I re-winterize our rig - BUT, my wife's insistence that we be back in time for Easter (we pulled in on Good Friday) - still put us in way cooler temperatures than I wanted to be in (... 15-20 degrees too cool!!). The last week of our travel home was colder than I wanted - as has been much of the time since we've been back.

We're pretty new to being refugees from winter so we're learning as we go. I've already made it clear that I don't need to be in Michigan for no damn colored egg hunt -- and that next year, if she's just gotta be here for that -- she better start figuring out how she's going to catch (and pay for!) a flight from whatever warm spot we happen to be in. This was the last time I rush back to "cold".