Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Best way to maintain batteries with up to 6 month storage

2002 CC Allure 36. I will have electric available at two storage sites I am looking at. It occurs to me it would be better over a long period to use Battery Tenders rather than keep the coach plugged in. A little concerned something might fail where as the Battery Tenders are pretty much bulletproof. Your thoughts?
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 11:43 AM   #2

I like the idea of a battery tender and they are inexpensive. What I normally do is top off my batteries and then disconnect them when I park between Nov. and April.

How public is the storage? That would be the deciding factor if I decide to take them with me or leave them there.

Have yet to have a problem starting or running 12 volt in the spring when it comes out of storage.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Battery Tenders seems safe and not likely to have problems like leaving the coach plugged in ALTHOUGH when we had our garage for our '98 Allure we just left it plugged in to 50 amp all the time with no problems.

If we did this would the onboard systems of the 2002 Allure keep ALL batteries, coach and chassis, charged? Is there a heat or fire danger to this?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I leave mine plugged in to at least 15 amp power all the time. No problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:01 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I had this same dilemma a couple weeks ago. I plugged it in and made sure both battery switches were turned off. Still hoping that was the correct move and that the charger works with the switches off. I will eventually have a good multibank charger onboard where I can pull the terminals off the batteries and just have them isolated. Do make sure you top them off with distilled water. Even though brand new, mine (3) took a full gallon of water to top off.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
During our annual 8 month storage we had initially relied on staying plugged into 15 amp with most circuits off on the House panel, and the echo charger keeping the chassis battery charged. That proved undependable, so I have used a Battery Tender ever since plugged into a basement outlet to maintain the chassis flooded battery while the two House AGMs are kept in float by the coach’s charging system. Over 10 years life out of the original chassis, and 13 out of the House ones. Hope this helps. Safe travels.
Old Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:05 AM   #7

If parked outside in the light, a solar battery tender might fit the bill. This of course wont work if it is stored indoors. Leaving them plugged in for extended periods wont hurt anything. You may want to check your fluid levels in the batteries every so often if you have lead acid batteries. Full timers leave theirs plugged in. Mine is plugged in from May until November every year.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #8

Thanks. So if I just keep it plugged in both the chassis and coach batteries will be kept charged. I'm assuming no problem over 4-5 months if before we leave the batteries are charged and fluid levels fully up.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leaving the converter running is OK, but it will keep you isolation relay energized for the whole 6 month period as well. They are constant duty but this is the reason they will eventually fail.

You could charge them up and then disconnect the ground lugs from house and chassis and leave them with the coach unplugged. They won't self-discharge more than 5% a month anyway.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #10

When not in use our coach is plugged into a 30A service. Your coach should have a echo charger that keeps the chassis battery charged. My echo charger gave up so I installed the Magnum Combiner, a better system plus I placed it where I could see it. My inverter has been on for 6 years, don't like to reset the microwave clock.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_151635.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	248177Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_151612.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	248178
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, storage