Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:42 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Black tank flush inlet blockage

01 Magna, I just tried flushing my black tank and it would appear to be blocked at the water inlet in the water bay. After dumping and hooking up the flush inlet, I could not hear any water flowing into the tank or see any clearing through the sewer hose. I unhooked the flush water line, only to have what little water between the inlet and the tank, that was trying to make it into the tank, squirt out. Anyone experience this blockage and if so, how did you clear it? I was thinking of keeping the water in by closing the valve and letting it sit a day or two and putting a air pressure flush connection on it and slowly adding pressure to clear it? Now my level indicators show the black tank is full and know it isn't. I just tried using a skinny pipe cleaner but cannot make the bend in the piping. Also pushed a zip tie into the hole and made the bend but not long enough to hit any obstruction....
2001 Country Coach Magna #5954
Cat C10 Allison tranny and Hurricane Heat
JRadtheNoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #2

two reasons for water not flowing
1)..Anti-siphon vacuum breaker device failure (located 2' above tank...can be inside a bathroom sink cabinet/closet etc)
2)..Nozzle installed in side wall of tank clogged

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:37 PM   #3

If it stopped working suddenly, then good chance it's the Anti-Siphon breaker.

If you've noticed a gradual slowing of water running while back flushing, then the nozzle could be clogged by either debris and or hard water build up. (As Old-Biscuit stated.)

Our's seemed to be more of the later, a gradual slowing. So we drained the blacked, and fed a hose into the toilet area and manually flushed from above for quite a bit. Then we closed the black tank. Added about a gallon of hot water with 5-6 packs of either Dishwasher or Washing Machine (Memory fade on which one, but probably the same stuff!), and then topped poured in a 1 1/2 or so bottles of Calgon water softener too. Then using the hose, we topped off the black tank until indicator was showing Full, and in our case, we could look down the throat of the bowl and see the water level was close to the 'drop zone'.

We let our's sit like this for about a week, then drove around for about an hour to slosh it around well. Then drained the tank.

THAT DID NOT WORK FOR US - this time. But it has before when we had our Allure, which had been exposed to multiple months Arizona Hard Water! (Pre On The Go softener!).

On our 07 Magna, I asked on a CC Facebook group for help locating the Anti-Siphon Breakers location. Which appears to be behind our refrigerator, and will require us cutting in an access panel to reach it from the side pantry. Due to our travel schedule, will hold off on that. But do have a new Vaterra No-Fuss Flush A-70 valve coming, and I can mount that into the top of the Black Tank, accessing it from the Passenger side Propane Bay. This will provide a method to flush now, and we'll also then have redundancy when we do repair the original Back Flush Anti-Siphon Valve...

It only takes a little bit of time and funds to try soaking the tank with some cleaners and water softener. (Others have also used a gallon of CLR in about half full tank and driven around for the day, with good results on clogged nozzles.) Any of these tank rinses is certainly worth a try. One other tip I recall reading, was a gent filled his water hose up with a few quarts of CLR, and let it sit attached to the back flush valve overnight. Then adde a quick on/off of the hose bib, to try and push the CLR up thru the Anti-Siphon Valve. It worked for him on his coach, but when he tried to help a buddy doing the same thing, no luck. And he cautioned that when it failed to get thru to the nozzle, water with CLR mixed in - worked it's way back out as he disconnected the hose. So good protection is needed if trying that.

Please let us know what you end up finding out. And GOOD LUCK!!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #4

On a 2000 Magna Indulgence does anyone know where the anti siphon valve is located. Don't see it under lavatory as diagram suggests.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
I was thinking of keeping the water in by closing the valve and letting it sit a day or two and putting a air pressure flush connection on it and slowly adding pressure to clear it?
Water burst from a failed anti siphon valve leading to flood isn't unheard of. Be careful with your approach.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...lve-63318.html

Your valve may or may not be inside the cabinet under the sink.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Water burst from a failed anti siphon valve leading to flood isn't unheard of. Be careful with your approach.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...lve-63318.html

Your valve may or may not be inside the cabinet under the sink.
Aye, you really don't want "Call me Ishmael"- saying "There she blows!"...

! Smitty
Old 05-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Aye, you really don't want "Call me Ishmael"- saying "There she blows!"...

! Smitty
A good one Smitty
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin379 View Post
On a 2000 Magna Indulgence does anyone know where the anti siphon valve is located. Don't see it under lavatory as diagram suggests.
That is my next question! I also have an Indulgence (2001), I checked the wooden rail that runs along the bathroom floor but it only contains wiring, no valves. Checked the hallway closet and nothing but washer hot and cold connection points.

I am going to pose this question on the forum as a new thread.

I am confident it is the anti siphoning valve as it suddenly stopped rather than slowly stopping, which would make sense as a clog. Now I just need to find it and access to it....
Old 05-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #9

Our 1998 CC Concept also will not take water, I honestly think people put too much thinking into flushing any way. I have been Rving for 30 years and all we do is dump black. Close valve and add 3 toilet bowls water and open valve again and repeat. Close valve and add 2 toilet bowls full and done. No problems ever and no smells.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogoil View Post
Our 1998 CC Concept also will not take water, I honestly think people put too much thinking into flushing any way. I have been Rving for 30 years and all we do is dump black. Close valve and add 3 toilet bowls water and open valve again and repeat. Close valve and add 2 toilet bowls full and done. No problems ever and no smells.
I have a Black Tank Flush System....factory
And I only use it at end of season
Otherwise......
Dump waste tanks when full
Then add 2 full toilet bowls back into black and couple full sink into the grey to keep bottom of tanks wet.

No stink cause the AAVs work, 'P' traps have water and toilet bowl holds water

I refuse to dump/flush/rinse/dump waste HOLDING tanks
Dump them/keep bottom wet ... fill and repeat

Simple
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our's started to act up with no water flow and the sensors were not working good. We have a 35 gallon tank. I assumed paper was all over the rinser and the sensors needed a good cleaning.

I started with tank empty and just before leaving on a 250mile drive. The drive was mainly two lane roads. I fill the tank with about 8 gallons of water and a cup of dishwasher detergent. After 5 nights at our first leg of the trip. We dumped, the tank was over 2/3 full. Before opening the drain valve I connected the the water hose to the rinse connection and had it running. After it drained you could hear the rinsing action and clear water.

PS sensors are working great now.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #12

I understand that on many RV's, the need for frequent flushing is not really needed. Our Allure, I'd flush the Black Tank about every 5-7 draining or so.

On our Magna, the Black Tank has a step up of about 7-9" (So, not a rectangular box tank.). And this raised step bottom, is right below where the 'throne drops'. So non fluid materials, build up on this step, until the Black Tan reaches a little below half full or so. (Eye balling it with a flashlight, and the flapper wheeled into an open position, to learn this coaches Black Tank behavior.) So in a coach with a tank like this, more frequent flushing is IMO - more warranted!!!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 05-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #13

JrRadthe NoMad according to Pete Hays in his 2000 Indulgence it is behind the closet across from the lavatory. See another post about the no fuss flush siphon valve. Currently active
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #14

Well earlier in the week I received the two new vacuum check valve replacements (I bought two because you just never know, right?) and determined their location in my rig thanks to this forum!

Replaced the valve with the new one and I'm having the same problem... Must be a clog of the tank inlet. Well with the valve being removed, I put some CLR right down the hose along with some water and watched as the mixed solution back up to the top of the inlet hose only to watch it drain into the tank! I connected everything and tried to flush and again, the same stoppage!

Did I buy a bad valve? Am I missing a step in properly installing it? It's late right now so I put more CLR down the tank inlet hose. I'm by myself so testing is not easy. The water inlet going in from the bottom is pushing the gasketed piece up and I can see water in the valve but will not go through. I've attached two pics one with water and one without. Not sure the water pressure needed but running it through a 55 regulator...and the grey tan[IMG][/IMG]k flush works just fine too! Guess I'll try to sleep, HAHA (it'll be all I think about)

Tags
black tank, tank