Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2022, 08:30 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Block heater to aid changing oil

Has anyone used their block heater to heat the crankcase before draining their oil? I know I should just drive it to warm the oil before the drain but it is not practical to do this currently. It is a 1999 Affinity with the CAT C12.
Aroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #2

Unless you have a circulating type heater (Webasto), I would think it wont help much since the block heater warms the coolant not the oil (although the oil may see some heat transfer from the block). I would just start it and let it idle till the temps come up.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A typical block heater will only heat the block and coolant. It takes a circulating type or a pan heater.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:41 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks guys, you gave me an idea. I have read that just idling it will not fully warm it up but If I run my Webasto heater at the same time, that should do the trick! Cheers
Aroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:17 AM   #5

You would have to run the engine on high idle for close to an hour to heat up the oil and burn off the created moisture. Running the webasto won't make much difference. Your other option is to drain it cold. It will take a little longer , but the end result will be the same. Modern oils keep the " dirt" suspended in the oil so it does not settle to the bottom of the pan.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is hard to beat a true 30 minutes driving the coach on the road to get the temperature up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroadracer View Post
Thanks guys, you gave me an idea. I have read that just idling it will not fully warm it up but If I run my Webasto heater at the same time, that should do the trick! Cheers
I think it should do it. I have a hydronic Hurricane heater on my coach. Withn 10-15 minutes the heat exchangers send out hot air with heat from the coolant. I would say just hydronic heater alone is probably good enough to warm up the engine in half an hour. The added benefit of this heating method (vs running engine) is that it doesn't stir up the oil conteminants but improve the oil fluidity. Next time changing oil I'll try it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:17 PM   #8

You can certainly get more of a complete oil change with the warm oil but most of these rv engines are no-ware near ready for an oil change. My last test on two year old oil showed the additive pack was still good and will check next year. Contaminant were still low. If the oil is still good you dont have to worry so much about getting a complete change
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:52 PM   #9

Just drain it, heating is always better but comes out cold just fine.
rampage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #10

I agree totally with the above that there is no reason you have to 're-heat' the oil... in fact when it was last shutdown the oil was hot and drained to the oil pan, then when left sitting, ALL the oil dripped to the pan. Unless the temp is near freezing, you just need to let the pan drain longer to get the last few drops out and in the OPs case, they are not going anywhere so just remember to plug and refill before you do start up!
And running ANY type of engine heater will barely heat the oil in the pan.
Someone please explain why you need to heat the engine first.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #11

For gasoline engines, I feel better letting the engine run for a few minutes before changing. Doesn't have to get up to operating temp. The slightly warmer oil flows a bit easier, it has collected and is suspending contaminates, and things (oil, filter, bolt) are not too hot to handle.

I would think this would be good for diesel too, but,,

Tags
heat, heater