RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Boto Tires and Motorhometires dot com?

295/80R22.5 Boto BT968, 18 ply, load range J. For a 2002 Allure 36 double slide.

Pretty good deal on 6 Botos. Give we will drive coach maybe 5000 miles per year max tread life isn't the major concern. Inside storage on smooth gravel when not driven. We don't drive fast or load heavy.

Motorhome tires dot com? Been around a while. Ship to the local installer. Rated at 8200 pounds per tire max.

What do you think?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #2

I've never heard of Boto tires, but for sure their are a lot of products from overseas I've never heard of!

I found some reviews on Amazon fo 'Boto' - not the same tire you have noted - and scanning down the reviews from people who have bought, they ranged from 2 -5 stars. (And of course, most people do a review on Amazon within a short time after purchase, very few come back two years later when they determine a different opinion. So I take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, but, it is something!).

I found another thread fro Boto passenger tires, old as it was 2013, where the buyer regretted the purchase due to fast wear, and very poor grip on wet surfaces. (Totally different tire, so not apples to apples.)

Finally I found this link from a site where many items are taken about, and he had Boto as Number One tire for RV's. (Now I have no idea how a single individual can due hands on analysis of different RV tires(?). And I've noted on sites like this before, the majority of the time the items being talked about/reviewed, have a 'Click Thru' button to Amazon. So I take these with a grain of salt to, as it's a revenue producing type site. (All IMO.))

https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-tires-reviewed/

So what do I think? Well I think tires are one the top safety items on a car and or RV. The only thing that allows you to go forward, stop, or turn - are those little contact patches of material between the tire and the road. I go out of my way on safety items, to buy what I think (And that is subjective, and not always the most expensive item!), is the safest item. I also don't care how many miles a tire is driven per year, as a blow can happen in 50 miles or 5000 miles. Or a need for a panic stop or maneuver can happen in 1/2 mile, or 10,000 miles... You jus never know...

So if looking for a reasonably price tire, I'd go with the ones that come up time and time again on threads about tires. Hankook, Toyo, BF Goodrich, Cooper, to name a few. I feel a reasonably priced tire, FMCA if you are a member, is the BG Goodrich ST230. They're a solid Tier 2 tire made by Michelin. Nope, not least expensive by a long shot. And, I'd also want to insist that they be Born On Dates of under 6 months of age.

The final general comment I toss into tire threads is not specific to a brand, and I repeat it for new RV'er's, as I feel they are important for safety.

-Get loaded for a trip, get full fuel an add full water tanks too, and get a 'Four Corner Weight'. Set your tire PSI to the Tire Manufactures recommendation for that weight. (I personally add 10% for contingency.)
-Exercise your tires. If not in regular usage, add a every 4-6 week reminder to get out and drive your coach. (If possible, understand some are in hibernation due to local winter conditions.) Get them up to highway speeds and temps for a good 45-60 minutes. (Exercise the other systems in our RV at the same time. (OTR AC, Hydro/AquaHot, Roof Air, Generator, etc.)

Sometimes getting a lower price item will work fine for an application. IMO, tires are not an item to go for the lowest price, go fo as much safety as you can afford.

And Boto's may indeed be a fine tire... Just not enough info in 10 minutes of looking, to give me a positive opinion to confirm this.

Best of luck to you, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

I agree. Any cost advantages amortized over the life of the tire is not worth the risk for me. If its a lawnmower tire then fine but on a motorhome i want a manufacture that has been around.
IASM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #4

They also offer Toyo M144's for about the same cost, so I have to ask, why go with a Boyo's that don't have any track record to speak of? Check out what others have to say about the M144's. It's generally quite good.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
They also offer Toyo M144's for about the same cost, so I have to ask, why go with a Boyo's that don't have any track record to speak of? Check out what others have to say about the M144's. It's generally quite good.
Not really. You're comparing the price for 4 versus 6. Also the Toyo is a load rating H, 16 ply versus the Boto load rating J 18 ply. Reading up on this I see people using both H 16 ply and J 18 ply. It is probably a good bet the H will ride better but at the cost of less carrying capacity.

Apparently Boto is much more familiar to truckers than the RV world. Still investigating. Really not concerned with wear as we RVer rarely wear out our tires, they are changed because of age. We might put 30K miles on in 7 years if that.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
Not really. You're comparing the price for 4 versus 6.
yup, my bad, reading too fast. There's quite a bit of cost difference. Good luck with your decision and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Slightly off topic: I had two Maine Coons and they're great cats!
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, tires