Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Box under the passenger sofa??

OK CC fans, me again with another question. DW wants to jettison the passenger side jack knife sofa for a recliner and small table. However, there is a carpet-covered box with two flexible tubes going into the top of it under that sofa. The sofa is attached to the box.

I looked at the plumbing and Hydro Hot diagrams and I see nothing that explains what is in that box. I suspect the box cannot be removed so putting a recliner there is not going to be an option. However, I am wondering if the driver side sleeper sofa can be moved to the passenger side then we put the recliner and table there. Probably not due to the mechanism under the sleeper sofa.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #2

What year and model coach?
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
What year and model coach?
In my sig.....2007 Allure 470.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #4

It could be electrical or if you have hydraulic slides it could be hydraulic lines.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Now that I've looked inside the exterior compartment immediately below the box in question, I have concluded it contains the slide mechanism.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Now that I've looked inside the exterior compartment immediately below the box in question, I have concluded it contains the slide mechanism.
You could remove the drivers side sofa and put recliner there. We have sleeper sofa on passenger side. It is made to fit over the box.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
You could remove the drivers side sofa and put recliner there. We have sleeper sofa on passenger side. It is made to fit over the box.
Yes, we considered that. However, the nicer of the two sofas (the one with the ultraleather that matches the front seats) is on the driver's side. Plus, it is a real sleeper sofa with air mattress. The jack knife sofa mounted over the box on the passenger side is the least comfortable. Now, if we could move the driver's side sofa to the passenger side, we would be golden. However, the ultra leather sofa doesn't look like it would mount over the box.

DW thinks we will just need to eventually have the jack knife sofa re upholstered since it is the only thing in the coach that we feel has a 'dated' look.

Since you have the same rig, does your's have a rear ladder? Our's does not but I can see reinforcement areas in the rear cap where a ladder could be mounted. I may want to install a ladder if I can get one from CC in Oregon.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

Yes, we considered that. However, the nicer of the two sofas (the one with the ultraleather that matches the front seats) is on the driver's side. Plus, it is a real sleeper sofa with air mattress. The jack knife sofa mounted over the box on the passenger side is the least comfortable. Now, if we could move the driver's side sofa to the passenger side, we would be golden. However, the ultra leather sofa doesn't look like it would mount over the box.

DW thinks we will just need to eventually have the jack knife sofa re upholstered since it is the only thing in the coach that we feel has a 'dated' look.

Since you have the same rig, does your's have a rear ladder? Our's does not but I can see reinforceyoument areas in the rear cap where a ladder could be mounted. I may want to install a ladder if I can get one from CC in Oregon.
You are correct about the sofas, our rig never had the driver side sofa, we have the recliner and desk arrangement, we did have the sofa reupholstered.
The ladder issue, at the present time, no ladder, I am and have done lots of research, the ladder is not in production, however, topline mfg.co., paramount, ca.will make the ladder for you, reasonably priced, at the present time I am heading to that area, planning to presue the ladder issue. I have been given a mfg.# 10601, and topline verified that was a good cc#, but has no clue of what coach it fits, but they need 10day lead time. You may want to call topline. Google..shipping cost more than the ladder. Let me know lf l can be more helpful, marvin, 07 allure, 470
Btw, what side of the coach did you locate the supports for the ladder?
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
You are correct about the sofas, our rig never had the driver side sofa, we have the recliner and desk arrangement, we did have the sofa reupholstered.
The ladder issue, at the present time, no ladder, I am and have done lots of research, the ladder is not in production, however, topline mfg.co., paramount, ca.will make the ladder for you, reasonably priced, at the present time I am heading to that area, planning to presue the ladder issue. I have been given a mfg.# 10601, and topline verified that was a good cc#, but has no clue of what coach it fits, but they need 10day lead time. You may want to call topline. Google..shipping cost more than the ladder. Let me know lf l can be more helpful, marvin, 07 allure, 470
Btw, what side of the coach did you locate the supports for the ladder?
It appears to be a rectangular 'bump' about 2' down from the top of the cap on the passenger side. I am assuming that is the point of reinforcement for the top bracket.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

I, too, wanted to get rid of the most uncomfortable piece of furniture I ever sat on. Everybody who sat there found themselves sliding off. I took the coach to Paul's Seating in Elkhart. He removed the sofa and cut down the seat foam and tapered it at the same time. He then replaced the three back cushions with two cushions. Now, the sofa is "sit-able." The cost to do all of this was very reasonable.

'07 Allure #31543
Knob Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob Creek View Post
I, too, wanted to get rid of the most uncomfortable piece of furniture I ever sat on. Everybody who sat there found themselves sliding off. I took the coach to Paul's Seating in Elkhart. He removed the sofa and cut down the seat foam and tapered it at the same time. He then replaced the three back cushions with two cushions. Now, the sofa is "sit-able." The cost to do all of this was very reasonable.

'07 Allure #31543
At this point, we've decided to cover it with a nice 'pet protector' since we do travel with two dogs. Agree it is the most uncomfortable piece of furniture ever but the dogs love it . We plan to eventually have it re-upholstered and may also have the same mods to the seat you mention.

The first thing the DW did was throw away the three, over stuffed pillows on the back of it. We got some smaller pillows from Target that actually made it more comfortable.