RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Brake lights staying on

I am the owner of a 2000 Country Coach Allure. After parking the motorhome and turning everything off I noticed that my brake lights were on. After trying everything I could think of to make them go out didn't work I tried driving forward about 50 feet and backing up. That made the lights go out. This has happened several times since, and going forward and back always works to make the brake lights go out. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas on what is going on? Thank you.
icemanlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

My thought is a sticky brake light switch by the pedal if we are so equipped
Maybe small shot of lube on it and press it a couple times?

Next to that I'm stumped
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #3

Air brakes. ??

If it has a floor mounted brake pedal, the hinge may be sticky. Pick it up with your toe and see if they go out.

If that's it, spray some rust removing stuff on it, and work it in until it moves freely.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #4

Certainly sounds like a sticky brake light switch. The switches I've replaced on cars/trucks have been very inexpensive to replace.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #5

The Bendix SL-5 brake light switch may be faulty. Mine is in front run bay. Measure voltage across terminals.

Second I have two brake signal relays. One from Bendix and one from ECM for engine brake. Check relay for discolor or melting case.

Third there is a brake light relay. Ditto to check for melting.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:24 PM   #6

Exactly thing happened to me on the first night of a three month trip With a 2000 Intrigue. The bay under the driver seat had three pressure switch is triggered by air. One of the three controls the brake light. I can’t tell you which one. It is a common truck part that I got from Freightliner for about 50 bucks six years ago.I turned the light off that night by turning the power off to the coach and took it to a shop the next day. Good luck let us know what the problem turns out to be
stonegully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegully View Post
Exactly thing happened to me on the first night of a three month trip With a 2000 Intrigue. The bay under the driver seat had three pressure switch is triggered by air. One of the three controls the brake light. I can’t tell you which one. It is a common truck part that I got from Freightliner for about 50 bucks six years ago.I turned the light off that night by turning the power off to the coach and took it to a shop the next day. Good luck let us know what the problem turns out to be
Ahh thats making sense I am going to take a look in our 04 to locate them. Not an issue now but future reference
greg
Old 11-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegully View Post
Exactly thing happened to me on the first night of a three month trip With a 2000 Intrigue. The bay under the driver seat had three pressure switch is triggered by air. One of the three controls the brake light. I canít tell you which one. It is a common truck part that I got from Freightliner for about 50 bucks six years ago.I turned the light off that night by turning the power off to the coach and took it to a shop the next day. Good luck let us know what the problem turns out to be
The Brake light switch is a Bendix SL-5, which monitors air pressure and outputs an electrical signal when metered air is output from the treadle valve (brake pedal is pressed). It is the round one in the attached picture.

There are an additional 3 air pressure switches - the oblong metal switches in the top of the picture. They measure air pressure and send signal to activate Park brake switch light, low pressure primary tank light, low pressure secondary tank light (rear and front brakes, respectively).

Hope this helps.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3167.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	309818  
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #9

Brian,
Works for me. Our coach is in storage in Phoenix but I do remember seeing something like that

Appreciate the photo
greg
Old 12-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
Brian,
Works for me. Our coach is in storage in Phoenix but I do remember seeing something like that

Appreciate the photo
greg
Just a heads up: My '01 Intrigue has two brake light switches side by side in the compartment below the driver's seat. They are shown in the electrical diagrams and I found them when hooking up my trailer brake controller.

IF you could get the brake lights to stick again, (good luck) you could possibly test with a test light which one is sticking. When lights are off, there should only be 12v on one terminal of the switch. Both sides should be hot when brakes are applied.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brake lights, light, lights