Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #1

Bus Kote or Dicor for fiberglass roofs?

Hi All,

Have seen a lot of threads on getting rid of the white streaks.
We are do to get our coach back from Premier next week and plan on doing the roof
Question is which coating to utilize? I think I have boiled it down to either Bus Kote or Dicor. Or should I just scrubbed up real good and apply 3M Aerospace 303?

Thanks for the feedback we are looking forward to get the coach rolling.

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
Community Moderator

I used Dicor, 8 years later roof is still good.
Have not used other two, assume they are good too.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
After reading about problems with Bus Kote cracking, I'd go with the Dicor product
Old 07-28-2019, 12:26 AM   #4

Lots depends on where you use our coach... Hotter regions of the Southwest, can benefit from the insulating ceramic mixes in the Bus Note. (Which is what we went with, as we do spend time in Arizona in the low 100's - and every little bit helps!).

I you do not travel in the higher temp areas, and primarily want to reduce white streaking, then you have other less expensive options. From lowest to highest cost, options include:

-Deep cleaning, mechanical polishing, of your current roof. Then a coating of your choice. (303, Wax, etc.) (Or, a combo of wax, followed with an overlay of 303...)

-Deep cleaning, and proper prepping for Decor Fiberglass Roof Coating

-Deep cleaning, and proper prepping for a Marine Decking Two Part coating

No right or wrong on any of these, and others combinations - just choices...

We were pleased with the results of the Bus Kote. I'll share that I blew it, not knowing it needed to be refreshed (And check any coating you put on, to see if and when it needs refreshing!)... We waited too long, and our Bus Note started to chalk and was the source of the white speaking... (My bad!!!). So, we just had Premier help us with applying a Primer and Two Coats of fresh Bus Note... (And we now know, to do a cleaning and refresher coat, in about 4 years with our current planned usage...).

Other RV owner's are all using items like Linex and other Truck Bed type coatings for RV rooms too. But I have no first hand experiences on those...

Best to you,
Smitty

PS: Premier did a super job on our new coats of Bus Kote!!
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:48 AM   #5

This is the way I'm going to do mine. I have everything, just got to get it done.
2 stroker

http://beaveramb.org/acadp_listings/...-roof-coating/
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

2 Stroker great article on the marine coat l like the fact that it is slip resistance

Smitty77 I like the fact that Bus Kote has the insulation properties.

Got some more thinking to do

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 07-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #7

Smitty,
You mentioned the ability to handle the 100 degree temps when you are in AZ. Well I get to enjoy those temps living year round in AZ though I try to get out in the summer. Any idea how Bus Kote holds up in 110-114 degrees? I thought I would call the local school system. I see it on all the school buses and assume this product works here in the summer heat.

By the way, thanks for spending time here, we can use all the tax dollars we can get
stonegully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegully View Post
Smitty,
You mentioned the ability to handle the 100 degree temps when you are in AZ. Well I get to enjoy those temps living year round in AZ though I try to get out in the summer. Any idea how Bus Kote holds up in 110-114 degrees? I thought I would call the local school system. I see it on all the school buses and assume this product works here in the summer heat.

By the way, thanks for spending time here, we can use all the tax dollars we can get
We have been temps between 105-110 multiple times, in multiple Western states. We were in Yuma at between 112-114 for three days.

BusKote had no problem as far as surviving the heat. And I have not way to quantify how much it helped reduce the inside temperatures in the coach - but i do believe it did help!

Smitty
Old 07-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post

Have seen a lot of threads on getting rid of the white streaks.
A damp wash cloth works for me.

The whole idea of a fiberglass roof is not having to go up there and do anything to it.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
A damp wash cloth works for me.

The whole idea of a fiberglass roof is not having to go up there and do anything to it.

Understand that, but when you purchase a coach where that area has been neglected it is going to need some type of work
Greg
Old 08-02-2019, 12:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
Understand that, but when you purchase a coach where that area has been neglected it is going to need some type of work
Greg
Greg

Fiberglass roofs are designed to be neglected RV are designed to be used.

Spent the day exploring the Washington coast, do you see my point?

There are plenty of things that are not designed to be neglected and too many places and people that need are time.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #12

Kit - I'm sorry, but I disagree with this input.

Fiberglass roofs either gel coats finished, and or in some coaches painted with clear coat over the top. (Most, gel coat.).

Obviously this gel coat can break down over the years, as seen by parts of the actually material being visible as 'white streaks'.

Many do not care. And as with all things, some maintained items to a different level then others...

The level of care that an owner wishes to give a fiberglass roof is their decision. And this thread is helping those who do wish to care, or potentially recover/correct a previously poorly maintained roof - input on how to do so...

No big deal, but IMO - it's a good thread for those who wish to do more care, to get input:!

And as seen here, opinions will vary! And nothing wrong with that.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 08-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Kit - I'm sorry, but I disagree with this input.

And as seen here, opinions will vary! And nothing wrong with that.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Thank you for disagreeing with me. However, I am not big on opinions.

The con is that that you will fall off your rood and kill yourself.

The second con is you will spend a lot of time and money trying to make something old look new. 100% failure rate.

I do like facts. I have a 40 year old sailboat. The fiberglass deck is showing age cracks starting last year. I have gotten ideas from reading post like this about what I could do. After careful evaluation, I decided letting it deteriorate is the best option. It will out last me and it still as much fun to sail as when I got it 30 years ago.

So how does this apply to a MH. I have more than 50 years buying old things and keeping them serviceable. This year's projects included coating three metal roofs because it was needed.

I was also replace two of three vent covers on the 20 year old MH because it was needed. I had a friend be a safety monitor while I was up there. I did inspect the roof and no maintenance was needed.

This year also included doing a brake job and new tires on the 25 year old TOAD. Because it was needed. Good thing too because there was a car in my lane who was avoiding a cycle at the time I was coming around a blind curve on the Pacific Coast Highway.

Also built a deck and remodeled a bathroom this year while driving driving the MH 7000 miles. Yes, I did wash white streaks off with a wash. And mud, bugs and diesel soot.

My current project project is driving on the beach and taking pictures of MT Rainer.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #14

OK - Kit... No worries.

You do things you're way, and I'll do things my way.

We've been on other threads where sometimes I agree with your comments, and at times not so much. The times where I, or others, have not agreed - well, the threads gracefully fade away.

Respect your right to having an opinion (Fact?), and will utilize my right to share my opinion (Nope, not fact - conclusions I've developed. Been wrong at times, and appreciate learning when I am...).

I'll fadeaway on this thread, and wish you safe travels. (Glad you replaced 25 year old tires on your Toad - and opinion - hope your RV's are not 25 years of age!

Smitty

Tags
dicor, fiberglass, roof