Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

Cabinet door faded

My door above the washer dryer is now faded I think because of moisture from the dryer. Is there a way of coating it with something to help the wood color.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
There is not much you can do with the door still attached. A good cabinet shop can help you. I do woodworking and have a 2005 Allure. You probably have cherry wood cabinets although they also offered maple and walnut in 2005. It's pretty hard to repair wood that already has a finish on it especially wood that has turned color from moisture like steam. I've tried to do some work on mine in hard to see areas. If you want to try it yourself, the best thing to do is take the door off and sand it, sand it and sand it. Cherry is notorious for blotches when staining so once you have it sanded down, you will have to prepare it with a sealer before re-staining it. Try a light cherry stain on a part that won't show very much. The end result will be that you will have a nice looking door, but it won't look exactly like the surrounding wood.

I really recommend taking it to a local cabinet shop. It won't cost you that much when considering the cost of your rig, and the look of the finished product!!
HavasuRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #3

Yes it is cherry wood. I work with wood a lot but thought someone out there found a product that would match since CCC used that wood a lot in there coaches. I don't think they stained the wood at the factory so I thought fine Sand paper or something. Has anybody out there had success with anything.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #4

I have been using ( Formbys tung oil) just dab it on a lint free rag and rub it in. It works great.
2dogsbarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #5

Thanks for the ideas I used the orange stuff and it worked great. It not only put my wood back to new looking but smells like orange. No shine just natural looking.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #6

My wife uses the orange stuff on all the cabinets and wood surrounds in the MH 2x per year.

Our walnut can get very dry over time. I have had to re-glue a cabinet face on occasion.

CC indicated to me that on our Walnut cabinetry there is no stain, just a top coat.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #7

A good friend of mine said that this tip would work on "weathered" wood. Haven't tried it myself, so proceed with caution.
Naturally Repair Wood With Vinegar and Canola Oil. So, for a super cheap, use 3/4 cup of oil, add 1/4 cup vinegar. white or apple cider vinegar, mix it in a jar, then rub it into the wood. You don’t need to wipe it off; the wood just soaks it in.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #8

I have to tell you we used the orange oil on all the wood and it made the cherry come bacK like new wood. Wow great stuff
Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssgritton View Post
My door above the washer dryer is now faded I think because of moisture from the dryer. Is there a way of coating it with something to help the wood color.
We left the door attached, sanded lightly away the top layer of oxidized wood (gray color), then lightly coated with marine grade varnish. The original color was restored and the wood is better protected. Blended just fine with original finish.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
The frame around the heat exchanger just below the stove had a few dings and had faded a bit. I have worked with wood before so I removed it, sanded it well with a palm orbital sander and 150 grit. That removed the topcoat/finish. I re-stained it with Minwax cheery oil stain and finished with three coats of Miniwax satin polyurethane (spray can). It looks new and matches the original cabinets which are the medium cheery.

The fading you have on your door is likely the lacquer finish (or whatever topcoat CC used) failing. The only way to really fix that is to remove the topcoat and refinish. Furniture oils will help but will eventually evaporate and the faded area will re-appear.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #11

There was a thread in another forum and the recommendation that most seemed to promote was Howard's Restor-A-Finish. I used Howard's on my oak finish and it does a good job. It comes in several colors and can be found at Lowe's.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #12

That's what I use restore got mine at home depot about $7.00 for a can
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
There was a thread in another forum and the recommendation that most seemed to promote was Howard's Restor-A-Finish. I used Howard's on my oak finish and it does a good job. It comes in several colors and can be found at Lowe's.
Would love to see before and after photos if you have any

Thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #14

Sorry, no pictures. I started with a small out of the way area, got carried away with the results and did all the areas I was concerned with.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door