RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to dtrawets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrawets View Post
thank you all for the help on car dollies. we're trying to figure out if we should spend a lot more on a kar kaddy. the fact that they fold up is very nice and seem to be at the top end of the list as far as quality goes. just not sure if spending the extra $3000 is worth it or not. we are new to this and are really not sure what kind of room there is to store caddies. this is why the fold up seems to be the best option...but $3000 more. hmmm anyone know what it might cost at some RV parks to store something like this? for our first trip we're staying at Mesa Regal which we know very little about. so we don't know about the room at the site and what storage might cost if they have it.

thanks again for your responses. very helpful. i have one more question. does anyone know anything about the Acme Tow Dolly? https://cartowdolly.com/ does anyone have one of these? they seem to look pretty good with some nice options. with little experience, i don't know if its fluff or quality.
dtrawets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrawets View Post
thanks again for your responses. very helpful. i have one more question. does anyone know anything about the Acme Tow Dolly? https://cartowdolly.com/ does anyone have one of these? they seem to look pretty good with some nice options. with little experience, i don't know if its fluff or quality.
The Acme Tow Dolly is the Eze-Tow Dolly. They are one of the sponsors of this forum. I have one, and love it. Their customer service is first rate. There are many threads about this dolly. Just do a search on eze-tow or Acme Tow dolly, and you will find a wealth of info.
LarryJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Car Dolly?

I agree with everything CWJK55 said about the Kar Kaddy. We found a used one a couple years ago for $1200 when we were towing a Passat that could not be flat towed. Sold the Kar Kaddy last year after we replaced the Passat with a Jeep Wrangler, but highly recommend this dolly if you must flat tow. Also, it is a steering dolly which tracks much better than a rigid design.

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Antares
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
thanks for the info. we are looking at the eze-tow. i like some of the features it has. one issue is we live in Canada. that turns $2100 into about $4000 give or take after delivery. i have thought about ordering it to a ups or a purolator and having them hold it till we get there and the wife can drive the car. that only saves us about $400 if that after gas in the car. oh well. might have to just bite the bullet and order.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #19

Drive to the US and buy a Stehl Tow dolly. Their web site has a dealer search site.

14 inch wheels, surge disk brakes, fixed ramps, swivel pan and LED lights.

No comment on customer service, because we didn't need any, since we picked it up in 2014. I prefer that, over getting issues resolved.

I bought mine in PA, loaded the car that afternoon and towed it to Florida. About 25,000 miles so far.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #20

I found a used K/K SS on craigslist for $950. We tow or Ford Edge with it.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Kar Kaddy is best tow dolly I have ever used. Was in the automobile business for 25 years and have used many different dollies. Picked up a Kar Kaddy off Craigslist for $850. Built like a tank, tows like nothing else I have ever used.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Question

thanks again everyone for you input on the car dollies. i think i'm good now. however, when its not one thing...its another. i live in Edmonton Alberta, not that it really matters but we've had a number of good long thunderstorms with a lot of rain and wind. each storm i discovered a water leak. each one was different. i have 4 slides. so far only one hasn't had a leak. the leaks haven't been bad. but there is water in the motorhome. one was behind the bedroom sink. which ran out in front of the shower a bit and left a small puddle. the other was on the other side at the front. dripping on the inside of a window. mostly landing in the window track and most of the water went back out. just put a rag down to catch any excess water. again, no big deal. then we just noticed the carpet by the right side of the bed. bathroom side was wet on the end of the slide. we dried that up and put a small fan on it for a while to dry a little more. is this kind of stuff common or is it a major concern? i'm guessing its something to do with the slide seals, but i can't say for sure. not sure what the best course of action should be. it is a 2012 country coach intrigue.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to tell you that my ex tow for is great...EXCEPT.Z. the bran new tires I put on are too dangerous to continue using after 1200 miles. They are the 205 65 10 tires that I bought from acme. They both had splits in the middle of the tie between the tread. I inflated them to 85 psi D
And a friend was trying to help me figure out why the brakes were dragging when he noticed the problem. If you buy tires for one of these get the st145 r12. 10 ply rated. Hoping that gets rid of my problems
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Home | American Car Dolly

I'd really urge you to look at and consider American Car Dolly. We've had ours for several years and have towed it from Ga to AK and several times back and forth across the US- N,S,E and W.

Its very sturdy, properly priced, and you can't beat dealing with the folks that make them. (Unbelievable delivery set up!)

Look around IRV2 and other sites and you'll find many good reviews about them.

Good luck with your shopping

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
You should consider the eze-tow dolly with surge brakes. It can be stored under the RV taking up zero extra space. Brand new delivered is about 2100
Yes the EZE-Tow with surge disk brakes is a great dolly...it also stores on end in the garage and takes up less than 2 feet of space along the wall. We tow our 2013 Prius V on our EZE tow dolly. Not quite as easy as flat towing was but only a couple of extra minutes loading time.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Yes the EZE-Tow with surge disk brakes is a great dolly...it also stores on end in the garage and takes up less than 2 feet of space along the wall. We tow our 2013 Prius V on our EZE tow dolly. Not quite as easy as flat towing was but only a couple of extra minutes loading time.
As far as loading time, the first time we loaded ours it took almost 45 minutes. However, each time we loaded it went faster. Now we can load it ready to go in about 10 minutes. I would think this would be true for just about any dolly. There is a learning curve.
LarryJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
As far as loading time, the first time we loaded ours it took almost 45 minutes. However, each time we loaded it went faster. Now we can load it ready to go in about 10 minutes. I would think this would be true for just about any dolly. There is a learning curve.

thanks. yes, in pretty much anything new to the user, there's a learning phase. i'm sure we've all found this out with many things over the years. i find it funny sometimes that i'll think to myself just before i go hunting, i just have to load the quads on the trailer. half hour or so. two hours later. so i understand where your coming from. it almost seems that most of the dollies are fine. some maybe better than others. from what i've read, its harder to tell which ones. the fact that i live in Canada makes it much tougher. not nearly as many used dollies available up here . there are some. the other problem is being able to see them. don't want to just pay and say send it to me. must see it in person. most of the ones i see for sale are somewhere else and to far to go and get. not to mention i would have to have a tow package put on my car. then go and get it. i live in Alberta and i know there are a few on the coast. a long way to go to be disappointed. so there are obstacles in my way. so ordering new seems to be the best way if i can't find something near by. plus i'm still working till the end of Sept. so no time other than weekends to travel.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #28

I just looked on Calgary Kijiji and saw a few for sale...check it out
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly