RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #1

Cat or Cummins.

seems like CC has put many engines in there coaches.
Wife and i are looking at a magna
45 that has our desired floor plan.
some have cats c15 some have
cummins isx both around 600 hp.
For cc owners here Do you wish
you owned a cummins if you have
a cat.. or vice -versa. Im leaning
toward cummins . But dont really
know if settling for a cat in the right coach is a wise move??
Whatcha all think??

varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I know that some Cummings in the high HP range have had problems with valves dropping causing $$$$ for rebuilds. Dr D has had 2 major issues with his 650HP, do a search.
When I was working with heavy equipment I was a Cat man, they were work horses and cost/hour was lower.

In some ways Cat was smart getting out of the RV industry trying to keep up with emissions etc. Cummins seems to now be the engine of choice in newer RV's but they've struggled with the keeping up with the emissions.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #3

For larger 45 CC Coaches, assume later model years(?). Suggested from first to last preference:

>CAT C-13
>Cummins ISX600/605 (But budget to have new redesigned heads proactively installed.)
>CAT C-15 (It's the heaviness of the engine, where much of the add HP and Torque is consumed to carry the added weight. It would probably be the thirstiest of the group. And as I recall, it's a taller block, so set a bit lower to the ground(?). It will consume more your available CCC.)
>ISX650 (Believe CC had some ISX650's(?). Same comments about budgeting for proactive change out of the heads.) And these could easily slot in as a tie with the C-15. Same comments about the larger blocks weights)

If older units, the CAT C-12 is a fine engine and due to maturity of the engines life cycle and KISS with less smog stuff - would be my 1st choice. Up thru 2004, the C-12 can be found in CC's(?).

Or, you could go with a 45 Prevost Based 2 slide coach, with the Detroit DD60 series!

Besides input form the group. Suggest you call and build a relationship with Damon Rapozo, as he can guide you thru the pro/con of various coaches, years and engine combo's... Good people, sure a salesman too! But a straight shooter, IMO.

https://damonrapozo.com

Best to you, have fun on your search,
Smitty
Old 01-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Add to Smitty's - a few 45' CCs had 500 ISM installed, such as 08-09 Intrigue or Allure. That could be the top choice if you are into Cummins.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Add to Smitty's - a few 45' CCs had 500 ISM installed, such as 08-09 Intrigue or Allure. That could be the top choice if you are into Cummins.
SHHHH!!!!!! (Try not to spread the word on that....!)

Best!

Smitty
Old 01-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Yep!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I know that some Cummings in the high HP range have had problems with valves dropping causing $$$$ for rebuilds. Dr D has had 2 major issues with his 650HP, do a search.
When I was working with heavy equipment I was a Cat man, they were work horses and cost/hour was lower.

In some ways Cat was smart getting out of the RV industry trying to keep up with emissions etc. Cummins seems to now be the engine of choice in newer RV's but they've struggled with the keeping up with the emissions.
I think you mean Mr._D
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:14 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Operation and maintenance of the engine will affect reliability to a greater degree than the brand. There are certain models that have certain problems, as previously mentioned. But it's easy enough to do an internet search on a specific make/model/serial number range to see if your candidate is more or less likely to have problems.
Brand is more likely to affect availability of service in the geographic area where you happen need it.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
that engine is my first choice. but hard to
find in a cc. alot of them in tiffins,and newmars. Which we were also looking at. The essex has a few models with
our choice if floorplan.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
For larger 45 CC Coaches, assume later model years(?). Suggested from first to last preference:

>CAT C-13
>Cummins ISX600/605 (But budget to have new redesigned heads proactively installed.)
>CAT C-15 (It's the heaviness of the engine, where much of the add HP and Torque is consumed to carry the added weight. It would probably be the thirstiest of the group. And as I recall, it's a taller block, so set a bit lower to the ground(?). It will consume more your available CCC.)
>ISX650 (Believe CC had some ISX650's(?). Same comments about budgeting for proactive change out of the heads.) And these could easily slot in as a tie with the C-15. Same comments about the larger blocks weights)

If older units, the CAT C-12 is a fine engine and due to maturity of the engines life cycle and KISS with less smog stuff - would be my 1st choice. Up thru 2004, the C-12 can be found in CC's(?).

Or, you could go with a 45 Prevost Based 2 slide coach, with the Detroit DD60 series!

Besides input form the group. Suggest you call and build a relationship with Damon Rapozo, as he can guide you thru the pro/con of various coaches, years and engine combo's... Good people, sure a salesman too! But a straight shooter, IMO.

https://damonrapozo.com

Best to you, have fun on your search,
Smitty
Thanks for the link. he has quite a few.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #11

All I can say is I love the C-15 and mpg's seems much better than what I have read that the C-13's get.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #12

Good to hear the MPG is not hurting you too much with the C15! And suspect mountains are more like speed bumps with that HP/Torque combination!

Pre heavy emissions era C-15's won many awards thru the years for CAT from both heavy equipment manufactures usage as well as Over The Road trucking industry... For years, many considered it "The King"...

Best to you,
Smitty
Old 02-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
All I can say is I love the C-15 and mpg's seems much better than what I have read that the C-13's get.
You'd be hard pressed to get worse mpg than the C-13 gets. That's the engine in our coach. I just accept it for what it is and enjoy the life
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #14

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
You'd be hard pressed to get worse mpg than the C-13 gets. That's the engine in our coach. I just accept it for what it is and enjoy the life
Got that right. We get 6 MPG on ours. We've only had it for a year, though, so maybe there's hope.

2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, cummins