Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #1

CC Magna Batteries

Our soon new to us Magna, has 4 8D batteries on two slides. I'm wondering if I can change the configuration to 6 T105's and a single 8D or two smaller (same CCA) chassis batteries. Don't understand the need for 2 8D's to start engine. It is a 8.7L i530, but I've started mining equipment in cold weather on one 8D for years. Anyone have the same system or converted it??
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes. Are the batteries shot and you want/need to replace them?

My Allure originally came that way. The PO had installed two group 31 950CCA cranking batteries. He left two 8D house batteries which I eventually had to replace. I replaced the two 8D house batteries with six GC24 6v AGM batteries. The 8D's weigh about 150 labs and they are a bear to deal with.

A bank of at least 4 to 6 T105's would be great for your house battery bank.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

[QUOTE="smlranger;1917104"]Yes. Are the batteries shot and you want/need to replace them? My Allure originally came that way. The PO had installed two group 31 950CCA cranking batteries. He left two 8D house batteries which I eventually had to replace. I replaced the two 8D house batteries with six GC24 6v AGM batteries. The 8D's weigh about 150 labs and they are a bear to deal with. A bank of at least 4 to 6 T105's would be great for your house battery bank.[/QUOTE

Thanks Smlranger. No the batts aren't shot yet, test pretty good. But I wanted to plan for that eventually and when I do I'll also replace the inverter with a smarter one the one in it now is a 10yr old xantrax (inverter) with the original converter that doesn't have smart charging ability. I have a new 2500 Watt freedom, with remote control , and two 15amp built in echo outputs. My CC Magna has a seperate gen battery, that needs a dedicated charge circuit in my opinion (humble).
Old 02-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Your 8.7 i530 engine is not something I'm familiar with. CAT? Detroit?

We have a Cummins 8.9 ISL in our 2004 Allure. Our coach came with one Chassis 8D, and two House 8D's. When I went to replace mine, a member on the Yahoo CC User Group pointed me at the CAT 8D Maintenance Free battery. He said it was the highest CCA 8D he could find, at 1500. I looked some too, and came to the same conclusion. Oddly, the CAT battery is allowed to turnover my Cummins! I really like the MF aspect, so far in 8 months - zero outgassing, not so with the old wet cell Deka it replaced.

On House. Only you can decide your needs for size of bank Amp Hours. If you don't boondock much, or ever - then sure, the T105's will cover you.

I went the other way, and in the same foot print of our two old house 8D's, I placed X's 4 Lifeline AGM L16's, for 800AH house bank. (We do a mix of boondocking and plugged in parking.

If you don't mind wet batteries, and you mentioned T105's so I figure you don't. (We have electronic components in this battery compartment too, so I wanted to reduce the outgassing as much as possible. Along with the faster recharging times of AGM's.)

Another option, is to go with T145's, if you have enough head room. More power the T105's, same foot print. And yeah, more money too...

If you do not see a need for a high bank hour capacity, many are very happy with the Costco/Sams/Wallmart Golf Cart batteries too.

Lots of options, and it comes down to the the size of bank hours you want, and the amount of funds you want to spend.

I would anticipate that you would be OK with one Chassis 8D, but again, not real familiar with that engine nomenclature. (Though old memory cells makes me think of International engines NAV's?).

One tip, adding our year and engine might help with more finite responses - instead of speculation as I have provided?

Best of luck, and enjoy your coach,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

To Smitty 77. Thanks for your insights. The engine I have is listed as a Detroit diesel DD Series 40. Which translated to an International I530 HT. International 530 (8.7liter) High Torque. That's an I466 which has been re-engineered with bigger pistons, bored block and larger sleeves. It's 330hp/950 ft lbs torque.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #6

What I would like to do is improve the noon docking capability w/o impacting the ability to start the engine. The coach has no solar which I want to remedy, do the battery bank will be important. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
What I would like to do is improve the noon docking capability w/o impacting the ability to start the engine. The coach has no solar which I want to remedy, do the battery bank will be important. Thanks for the info.
the T145's are what I'm leaning toward.