Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpark View Post
I agree the brass looks dated. But in defense of my wife, and myself I suppose, she/we really prefer the dark woods. Dark walnut or cherry especially. And we like high quality bronze probably more than brushed nickel.

We think the dark woods look "richer" in every sense of the word. Then again, my wife would probably be happy living in a stone dungeon with dripping water and moss on the walls.

One thing I hope we can all agree on is that unstained oak and shinny brass was best left behind in 1979.
Not so fast, we DO NOT all agree with the dark wood look in our Coaches.Have you ever looked at the real high end coaches ? , Newell , Provost ( most ) , and Travelodge all have and are using modern materials that brighten up the coach and not hide the imperfections that comes with all the dark stains. Almost all the stuff people think as being " real Cherry wood" , are nothing more than thin South American veneer coverings over plywood....there are better ways to build an interior, be it coach,airplane or boat . ..I will guess that most of the choices people make reflect how their fixed in place home looks too. I am reminded of that every time i think about all the retirees that moved to south Florida sub tropical areas...and brought their "taste" with them when decorating and or restoring their new abode instead of going with colors and designs that fit the surroundings they have transplanted themselves into !
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #30

Oh my, cover inprofections with stain, i looked at those imperfections as personalaty, don't think there was any stain used on real wood?
Good we are not all alike when it comes to personal choices.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Oh my, cover inprofections with stain, i looked at those imperfections as personalaty, don't think there was any stain used on real wood?
Good we are not all alike when it comes to personal choices.
In all of the CC's we've seen, what they called simply cherry was real cherry with no stain, just a clear finish. Our coach has what CC called 'medium cherry' and it is mostly solid cherry (some of the panels and the pocket doors do have some veneer... the cabinets, cabinet doors, drawer fronts are all solid cherry) with a stain. The stain darkened the wood a bit. In fact, I added a piece of trim in the toilet room to hide a scratch in the wall and I used solid cherry with Minwax cherry stain. Four coats of Minwax polyurethane and it matched the factory wood perfectly.

We love the warm look of the medium cherry but would not want to have the wood darker. We saw a King Aire at the dealer with the glossy ebony cabinets and we did not like that. I know the Prevosts and Newells are wonderfully crafted coaches but we've never seen an interior in any of them that we would have. Just not our cup of tea.... we is simple country folk
Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #32

Quote:
I agree the brass looks dated. But in defense of my wife, and myself I suppose, she/we really prefer the dark woods. Dark walnut or cherry especially. And we like high quality bronze probably more than brushed nickel.

We think the dark woods look "richer" in every sense of the word. Then again, my wife would probably be happy living in a stone dungeon with dripping water and moss on the walls.

One thing I hope we can all agree on is that unstained oak and shinny brass was best left behind in 1979.
What's dated today is tomorrow's hot trend. Personally we refuse to go with what everyone thinks and wants, we like what we like and don't care what the trend is. We like the brass/gold look, and while I wasn't sure about the oak cabinets in our coach when we first got it, it has grown on us, and while we prefer light cherry or maple in our next coach, I would not have any problem with oak--Country Coach cabinet work was second to none.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Not so fast, we DO NOT all agree with the dark wood look in our Coaches.Have you ever looked at the real high end coaches ? , Newell , Provost ( most ) , and Travelodge all have and are using modern materials that brighten up the coach and not hide the imperfections that comes with all the dark stains. Almost all the stuff people think as being " real Cherry wood" , are nothing more than thin South American veneer coverings over plywood....there are better ways to build an interior, be it coach,airplane or boat . ..I will guess that most of the choices people make reflect how their fixed in place home looks too. I am reminded of that every time i think about all the retirees that moved to south Florida sub tropical areas...and brought their "taste" with them when decorating and or restoring their new abode instead of going with colors and designs that fit the surroundings they have transplanted themselves into !
I never suggested everyone agrees on that.

I believe the high-end curved cabinetry you see in the Prevosts and Newells are made with veneers.

My wife got the but for dark RV cabinets from looking at Foretravels.

And solid wood cabinets are something we've always looked for. Your experience may be with brands and levels we've avoided. Our experience, by the way, has been the that the lower end coaches we have seen with cheap cabinets were usually the lightest, not the other way around.

Everyone is free to like what they like, though I'm a little worried about Peralko ;-) as he usually provides sound opinions!

Just FYI and YMMV.
Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #34

Unlike dark woods, regarding brass and unstained oak, however, I did say I hoped we could all agree. Clearly my hopes were unfounded (Peralko, I'm talking to you! Seriously, just last night I noted to myself that whether here or RV.net you can be counted on to post things that make sense!).

And of course I recognize everyone's tastes are different. I thought by pointing out that my wife would like living in something that looked like a medieval dungeon would make clear I'm just having some fun.
Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Unlike dark woods, regarding brass and unstained oak, however, I did say I hoped we could all agree. Clearly my hopes were unfounded (Peralko, I'm talking to you! Seriously, just last night I noted to myself that whether here or RV.net you can be counted on to post things that make sense!).

And of course I recognize everyone's tastes are different. I thought by pointing out that my wife would like living in something that looked like a medieval dungeon would make clear I'm just having some fun.
What can I say--we're just old-fashioned--or maybe we're just plain old!

Most Prevost conversions and most of the Newells I've seen use Vitricor for their cabinets. From what I understand Vitricor is a high quality/high-priced laminate (Formica?). It usually has a high-gloss finish, so if we get a coach with Vitricor, you will not be allowed to touch the cabinets!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #36

Changing interior hardware from brass to nickel

The gold handles/knobs never bothered me in the least until a visitor commented on how they dated the coach. Wish those people would stay out of my coach. It's a little difficult to decide to change them because I think the previous owner replaced every piece in the entire coach and there is not the slightest wear. Is it wrong for a dated coach to look dated? I call it authentic. The architectural magazines can quote me on that.

When coach shopping, I perceived the more pronounced stains as richer. In the end we compromised for a light wood interior because it was time to stop shopping and start RVing. Now we think it's great because it keeps the interior light without lights. At the shows, they have every LED in the place turned on and the dark colors just drain the light away producing an eerie gloom. Did I just influence your perception? See how that works?

Our 15 year old coach has proven reliable and given us some very positive memories. This contributes in no small part to making this a pleasant color scheme. If it broke down every trip, I am sure these colors would elicit a different emotional response.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #37

I looked at your post again.......and I agree! It's just that some of us DO like modern/ minimalist , which leaves out dark " cherry". As far as oak, I do not like it mostly because of the strong grain common in Oak.Basically there are two kinds of oak, red and white, I would take white over red any day. The fixtures can be gold and be very contemporary as are mine in the CC Concept.( German Hans Grohe). Nothing worse than cheap fixtures gold or pot metal or what ever. I hate knobs anywhere be it drawer pulls or door knobs.Much cleaner look when the closures incorporate the opening and closing latching.. .....My house has no pulls or door knobs and nether does my coach.

Your statement that your wife likes the dungeon look, which would go quite well with Dark South American " cherry ". ( I know your jest) It's that my wife rejected a real nice Foretravel that was perfect for our needs, but it had dark cherry. She said it looked like a log cabin with all that dark wood. The standard Foretravel walnut would have been much better even though it's somewhat dark but still a little like Danish modern. There is nothing wrong with a nicely done veneer . Actually using woods that are proper for framing should not be the same as the cabinet doors anyway. Provost,Newell, Travelodge all use laminates, foils , and lacquers as do most European cabinets......finally , I really like my Concept interior , NO WOOD, just leathers, stainless mirrored ceilings with Ultra Suede walls and lam cabinets. It took a long time finding modern interiors as our likes are in the minority it seems.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
What can I say--we're just old-fashioned--or maybe we're just plain old!

Most Prevost conversions and most of the Newells I've seen use Vitricor for their cabinets. From what I understand Vitricor is a high quality/high-priced laminate (Formica?). It usually has a high-gloss finish, so if we get a coach with Vitricor, you will not be allowed to touch the cabinets!
My Concept uses Vitricor, they are really fine workmanship and the rounded styles, be it doors or fixed enclosures could only be possible by using modern materials. ( rounded corners are much safer in any vehicle that moves as it's primary feature!)