Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Charge line to the toad

I have 2000 Magna. Is there a possibility there is a charge line in all of the wiring to charge the toad battery or work with a toad battery charger? Had an AF1 braking system installed and the service department put a charge line on the toad.

From the coach chassis battery I see no evidence of a line. However there a couple of red and blue lines in the back of the engine. One of the pair is red and blue an is not connected to anything. One pair goes up the left side of the engine and the unattached pair go off toward the right side of the engine.

Some suggestions have been to run a positive from chassis batt to the 6 way. But all of the pins are taken in the 6 way. There is a 7 way but because of the frame components I can't see where the wires go.

Help??
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My '09 Magna didn't have a charge line to the plug. The tech used one of the three wires that CC provided that run from the front electrical compartment to the engine bay.
Top picture, white wire runs to solenoid connection that is hot all the time, but can be moved to other post that is only hot when the key is on.
Bottom photo, red line runs to the 7 pin connector on the MH. Not shown is the 30 amp auto reset fuse in the charge line going to the towed and the same on the towed itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_140625.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	219700   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_140845.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	219701  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What are all the pins of the 6way doing? You have:
1. Right signal
2. Left signal
3. Running lights
4. Ground
...and what else? The AF1 doesn't take any pins. I'd be amazed if there is not a hot line already hooked up and waiting somewhere in that 6pin connector. It's likely only hot when the ignition key is ON. Do you have a 12vdc Circuit Tester?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12vdcCircuitTester.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	219699  
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

I ran a separate charge line using a Toad Charge. Works for me.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
What are all the pins of the 6way doing? You have:
1. Right signal
2. Left signal
3. Running lights
4. Ground
...and what else? The AF1 doesn't take any pins. I'd be amazed if there is not a hot line already hooked up and waiting somewhere in that 6pin connector. It's likely only hot when the ignition key is ON. Do you have a 12vdc Circuit Tester?
I was thinking the same thing. When everything is connected, engine running in the coach, toad engine off check the volts at the toad battery. Anything more than 13.0 VDC means you have an active charge line from the coach.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
Community Moderator

i set up the harness with a 7 way signal cable. 4 of them as above said are for signals and one for charge line. i had it connect to house battery with a 20a fuse at an empty channel in the fuse box, and another fuse at the end towards the toad battery. i only used 5 channels in total, still 2 left.

here is the signal designations:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toad 4 way harness connection chart.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	219748  
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #7

If all you want to do is have a 12 volt supply for towd battery charging while traveling? What I did was disconnect the center wire in the 7 wire socket of the coach and tape it off.I believe it was for trailer back up lights. Connect a number 12 wire to this center terminal and run it to a 30 amp mini circuit breaker that you will ad near the chassis battery then a wire from the circuit breaker to the plus circuit of the chassis battery. This wire will be hot all the time and will have identical voltage as the chassis battery at all times.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:34 AM   #8

Some of those wires you found in the engine compartment may be the spare ones CC ran from the engine compartment to the front of the coach. Those wires on my 2000 Magna are #4 (red), #5 (yellow), #6 (black), #7 (orange).

I too have an AF1 on my 2006 Jeep Liberty without a charge wire and have never had a Jeep battery problem while towing.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad