Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #1

Chassis battery drain while dry camping

We have been dry camping for three days . I've been running the onboard gen most of the time .

Why are the chassie battery's slowly draining while camped ? While in storage when parked they hold the charge . I didn't think I was running anything that pulls from those battery's . Is there a simple reason for this ?
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You have to search out what phantom loads are drawing your battery down. Maybe a clamp-on amp meter for DC loads would help identify where they are coming from if a regular DVOM meter doesn't help.

Every coach is like snowflakes, they are all unique and different.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

I assume you turn off the battery's when in storage? I don't know how old your coach is but my 02 had a phantom load of around 2 amps 24 hrs a day! The biggest culprit was the propane shut off solenoid at the propane tank it was a constant 1 amp . The little indicator lamps on the light switches are constant but I didn't check to see how much. Etc. you would need to put a 10 amp dc ammeter in series with a battery lead and pull fuses to identify which circuits are the cause. Are your battery's in good shape? I got my phantom loads down to around 750 ma and run my generator around 1 hr a day camping.
Roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

What year and model of motorhome?

And, do you turn off the chassis batteries when in storage?

Is this new? Didn't happen last time out?

Do you have an Echo charger for your chassis batteries to keep them charged while on shore or generator power? If so, check it. There is an inline fuse to it that may be blown.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
It's possible something like a dash stereo is wired to the chassis side for some reason. If you do already have or install an Echo charger I think you would only be masking the issue of the draining of the chassis batteries. An Echo charger is a great add-on (I just installed one last week) but you should probably find out what is causing the drain as well.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootjack View Post
We have been dry camping for three days . I've been running the onboard gen most of the time .

Why are the chassie battery's slowly draining while camped ? While in storage when parked they hold the charge . I didn't think I was running anything that pulls from those battery's . Is there a simple reason for this ?
Are we talking about the starting battery or the living area batteries? There should be only 1 8d battery for this chore? If it is draining down and it hasn't in the past I would suspect a new battery is in your immediate future . If the generator is keeping a charge on it I suspect you do have an echo charger or similar charger in the circuit. As the converter only charges the living area batteries.
Roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
The OP hasn't mentioned the make or model of his coach but my coach has two 8D's for the chassis and two 8D's for the house and one Group 27 for starting the generator. Before installing the Echo charger the converter only charged my house batteries as the previous post stated. It would seem the OP could just disconnect his chassis batteries and see if there is an unexpected loss of power anywhere.

2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
Are we talking about the starting battery or the living area batteries? There should be only 1 8d battery for this chore? If it is draining down and it hasn't in the past I would suspect a new battery is in your immediate future . If the generator is keeping a charge on it I suspect you do have an echo charger or similar charger in the circuit. As the converter only charges the living area batteries.
I am talking bout the starting batteries. I have a 89 CCC 40ft DP It has 2 big batteries for each All four are less than a year old.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
The OP hasn't mentioned the make or model of his coach but my coach has two 8D's for the chassis and two 8D's for the house and one Group 27 for starting the generator. Before installing the Echo charger the converter only charged my house batteries as the previous post stated. It would seem the OP could just disconnect his chassis batteries and see if there is an unexpected loss of power anywhere.

89 Country Coach Concept
Old 09-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
YC1

Put a voltmeter on each bank of batteries with the generator running. Your engine batteries may not be getting charged due to a failure, or by design.

Is there a light under the steps that is running?

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Put a voltmeter on each bank of batteries with the generator running. Your engine batteries may not be getting charged due to a failure, or by design.

Is there a light under the steps that is running?
It says in my book that chassis battery is only charged by the alt on engine
Old 09-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #12

Until you can determine if you really have an excess drain on the chassis batteries try setting the boost switch on while running the generator. That ties both sets of batteries together and you'll charge the chassis battery too. You may have to come up with a way to keep the switch on as mine is a temporary switch and unless held on will shut off.

Then consider something like the Echo Charger so your chassis batteries are charged at the same time the house batteries are charged. There are other devices similar to the Echo Charger like one from Magnum you might want to consider. Try searching this forum for Echo Charger and you'll probably get several alternatives.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post

Until you can determine if you really have an excess drain on the chassis batteries try setting the boost switch on while running the generator. That ties both sets of batteries together and you'll charge the chassis battery too. You may have to come up with a way to keep the switch on as mine is a temporary switch and unless held on will shut off.

Then consider something like the Echo Charger so your chassis batteries are charged at the same time the house batteries are charged. There are other devices similar to the Echo Charger like one from Magnum you might want to consider. Try searching this forum for Echo Charger and you'll probably get several alternatives.
Not a good idea!

That will eventually burn up the solenoid. Better off purchasing a short 4 or 6 gauge jumper cable with eyes on both ends to attach to the large lugs on each side of the Battery Isolator Solenoid.

Those solenoids are not continuous duty devices. They should only be used for short bursts of energy to get the engine started when the chassis battery is too low to start the engine.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
The real question isnt so much how to bypass the issue, but eliminate it.

With that in mind. OP, lets try the easy stuff. Make sure you have a (preferably digital) multimeter.

Simple Battery Self Discharge Test
  1. Ensure entire battery bank is fully charged.
  2. Disconnect battery bank from coach
  3. Disconnect batteries from each other
  4. Measure the voltage on each battery. Identify the batteries and record each of their values.
  5. Return 24 or (and) 48 hours later. Record the values again.

If the values arent nearly identical, the batteries could be discharging each other, as one is weaker than the other(s). IF the batteries are basically at resting voltage, and within a small margin of each other, then you know that your batteries are holding charge, and you now should be looking for parasitic loads.

In my coach, the radio is run off the chassis battery. As are a few lights, my electric step, and I believe my slide and level jacks.

Any system you have attached and drawing from your chassis circuit could be causing your draw, including any frayed wire(s).

Next. The question is. Would you rather maintain the charge on the chassis battery, or eliminate your parasitic load? Either one should solve your problem, and the former could contribute to health and longevity of your battery bank.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, chassis, battery