Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Chassis Battery or Coach Battery

So,I'm still learning the ropes with my 2000 Intrigue and today decided to change the oil and filter on my Kubota 8.0 generator. Well.... when I tried starting the generator for warm it up, the battery didn't have enough juice to turn it over.
I started the coach (with no problem) then while the coach was running tried starting the generator. It started right up.
I then changed the oil and filter then tried starting it again and still the same issue. It wouldn't start unless the coaches engine was running.
My question is which battery bank starts the generator? I thought the engine batteries start the generator also. But the engine starts right up with no problem. Would it be the house batteries?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Born to roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 03:09 PM   #2

Most likely.
That and you have weak or bad house batteries.

With engine running, the isolation system is connecting the charging chassis batteries to the low house batteries.

Don't leave your house batteries in a discharged state, they live a short life.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Most likely.
That and you have weak or bad house batteries.

With engine running, the isolation system is connecting the charging chassis batteries to the low house batteries.

Don't leave your house batteries in a discharged state, they live a short life.
Yes I was leaning toward that also. I have 4 AGM batteries and have notice that one of them is bulging on the side and another has a loose cap that wont stay intact. The house batteries wont hold a charge long even with solar panels. So, Looks like it time to get batteries.
Thank you for re-confirming my thoughts.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:28 AM   #4

My 2000 Allure has the same problem. I have talked to people on here years ago when we got the coach. Someone mentioned that CC used too small of a gage wire running to the generator.

The generator start wire comes off the house batteries. It could be weak batteries but not the case with mine. When rv is running the battery combiner relay is closed sending the 13-14 volts to both battery banks thus giving a boost in voltage down the wire.

I have thought of adding another wire or a battery close to generator. It is a pain when camping to have to start main to run gen.

PS, I also replaced the starter and that wasn't the problem.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:41 AM   #5

Ok…thank you for the tip. I have been looking into ordering a new bank of house batteries hoping that will solve the problem. That’s a good idea. When I replace the batteries I’ll tie a new heavier gage wire to one end of the old one and snake it through and hopefully avoid this from happening in the future.
Thank you!!!
Old 06-26-2022, 11:12 AM   #6

If you run a new wire let me know how it goes. I have thought about that but looks like a pia. Especially where it ties into generator.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:13 AM   #7
Community Moderator

The Powertech 8000 demands heavy current to start up. You could see a big voltage drop on the house battery at the moment of cranking. This can be evidenced by seeing the ceiling lights dimming. A quick voltage drop indicates a fast current out-flowing, via the wires, obviously the wires are doing the job adequately.

When I had flooded house batteries, I had times of struggling on the genset start. But ever since I adapted lithium battery, there has not been a case of failed start, with 99% of chances just one click. I would suggest that you work on the house batteries, not the wires.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:31 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a 2000 Intrigue with the Powertech 8K generator, if house batteries are not fully charged or if I need to clean battery terminals I have had same issue. Charging the batteries and cleaning terminals have always been the solution that worked for me.
CntryCoachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
The Powertech 8000 demands heavy current to start up. You could see a big voltage drop on the house battery at the moment of cranking. This can be evidenced by seeing the ceiling lights dimming. A quick voltage drop indicates a fast current out-flowing, via the wires, obviously the wires are doing the job adequately.

When I had flooded house batteries, I had times of struggling on the genset start. But ever since I adapted lithium battery, there has not been a case of failed start, with 99% of chances just one click. I would suggest that you work on the house batteries, not the wires.
Yes, I agree I noticed the same thing. My lifeline Agm batteries are not holding a charge like they use two. Checked into replacing them but they are getting close to the same cost of lithium batteries. Did you have to change out your chargers and inverter when you switched?
Some people have said you have to.
Thanks for your help
Old 06-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #10

My Powertech generator will charge the house batteries which can then be used to boost a low Engine battery if needed.

I have learned that having the generator powered by the house batteries, you can counter a low battery situation at either the house battery or the engine battery.

On my old rig I have a dedicated generator start battery also. This has been convenient on a couple of occasions.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:48 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born to roam View Post
Yes, I agree I noticed the same thing. My lifeline Agm batteries are not holding a charge like they use two. Checked into replacing them but they are getting close to the same cost of lithium batteries. Did you have to change out your chargers and inverter when you switched?
Some people have said you have to.
Thanks for your help
I had had a lithium compatible inverter MS2812 before I put my hands on the lithium battery. It was an easy decision to make for me at the time. If you have the stock Heart Interface 20D, you might want to consider replacing it, for many electronic devices nowadays demand pure sine wave that your 20D doesn't provide, but, you can make lithium battery work with 20D, although less than ideal.

Most lithium batteries are charged at 14.6v, for the reason of fast charging while no side effect to the battery. Normally lithium battery is at 13.8v when full. If you want to charge it with the existing inverter on flooded battery profile, you can, except slower and the battery may not be charged to 100% SOC. Nevertheless you can use it and won't damage the battery, it's just not optimized.

Alternatively, you can get a standalone lithium 14.6v charger, hook up with an ATS so the lithium battery can be charged automatically, provided you are good at electrical stuff, or just charge it externally.

Overall, with the current prices on lithium and AGM, I would say lithium is the way to go.

Food for thought...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis