Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2022, 03:57 PM   #1

Check engine light

I had a post a while back regarding my "check engine light" that came on. I was out of town, so took me a while to follow up. The warning light came on - and then after a few miles went off - then came on again, and since has been off. There is a "blink code" for the Cummins ISL, but when I went thru the steps. Ignition on, turn on blink code key - NOTHING. No blinks.

I've had a post regarding my dash gages acting really funny: Fuel goes off and on, air gauges go off and on, etc. Probably 10% of of the time they act up. I know I need to solve that, but have been unable to figure out how, and if I take it in to a service tech, there's an 80% chance they'll act fine and just be a bill with no resolution.

Since there are no "blink codes" showing up, should I consider it a false report?
TriCitySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2022, 06:56 AM   #2

When you have issues like your describing - you need to fix what you know needs fixing as their being faulty can cause other faults to crop up.

It’s kinda like the old time Christmas lights - one light bulb being burned out causes all the other lights to not light up. You only need to find the burned out bulb to get all the bulbs working again.
And when there is more than 1 burned out bulb, the task of finding and fixing the string of lights is far more difficult.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:56 AM   #3

Check the coolant level in your overflow tank. It has a level sensor and if the coolant is just slightly low it will flash on and off as the coolant splashes around in the tank. Once bus heats up and Coolant expands, it pushes more into the tank and problem goes away temporarily.

If you add coolant and the problem comes back later, check for a small leak (likely a lose hose clamp or similar issue). I have had to issue twice, one when bus pump was going bad and second time, hose clamp had loosened at the water neck on engine.

Good luck.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:10 PM   #4

The problem is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
When you have issues like your describing - you need to fix what you know needs fixing as their being faulty can cause other faults to crop up.

Its kinda like the old time Christmas lights - one light bulb being burned out causes all the other lights to not light up. You only need to find the burned out bulb to get all the bulbs working again.
And when there is more than 1 burned out bulb, the task of finding and fixing the string of lights is far more difficult.
If I knew how to go about fixing....I would.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
Check the coolant level in your overflow tank. It has a level sensor and if the coolant is just slightly low it will flash on and off as the coolant splashes around in the tank. Once bus heats up and Coolant expands, it pushes more into the tank and problem goes away temporarily.

If you add coolant and the problem comes back later, check for a small leak (likely a lose hose clamp or similar issue). I have had to issue twice, one when bus pump was going bad and second time, hose clamp had loosened at the water neck on engine.

Good luck.
I second this... Worth checking.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCitySam View Post
If I knew how to go about fixing....I would.
The 2nd paragraph of your posting you said you know you have a dash problem that you know needs fixing.

I was only trying to point out that the 1st issue you mentioned may be related - or it may not - but by fixing the 2nd noted issue, you might also fix the first.

Saying that, I do agree with the others - your issue could be due to a coolant level float switch and having nothing to do with the dash issue.

But then if your coolant level is OK . . . . . . .

(Sorry, Im out of magic bullets. Maybe someone else has one they could spare. But in the end, you may get lucky and find one hidden under your dashboard. &#128512.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #7

Follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
The 2nd paragraph of your posting you said you know you have a dash problem that you know needs fixing.

I was only trying to point out that the 1st issue you mentioned may be related - or it may not - but by fixing the 2nd noted issue, you might also fix the first.

Saying that, I do agree with the others - your issue could be due to a coolant level float switch and having nothing to do with the dash issue.

But then if your coolant level is OK . . . . . . .

(Sorry, Im out of magic bullets. Maybe someone else has one they could spare. But in the end, you may get lucky and find one hidden under your dashboard. &#128512.
I wasn't throwing darts - just saying where I'm at. However.....I have been told this is a fairly common problem with the dash cluster - perhaps a Medallion by Dash Board Instrument Clusters.

Has anyone had one of these repaired?
Old 06-14-2022, 06:36 PM   #8

Correction

I answered incorrectly, the unit is manufactured by Medallion (Dash Board Instruments is a potential repair place).

I was told the issue is likely the "Data Collection Unit". Anybody had experience with these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Data Collection Unit.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	368286  
Old 06-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Have had the periodic, intermittent ‘dead gauge’ issue for about 6 months. Happened to be in driver’s bay replacing an HWH solenoid and couldn’t get a socket on it due to the two wire bundle plugs in your pic. Removed both and finished up. Didn’t have any idea what they were for. Well, haven’t had a gauge die since! Worth trying…always thought it was a loose connection somewhere. Luck beats skill again. 08 Magna.
Foxhallr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #10

Not coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post

Good luck.
Levels were all good - still having these intermittent gauge problems. Most of the time and can shut it off for a while, restart and it's OK for a while. Frustrating!
Old 08-08-2022, 03:00 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCitySam View Post
Levels were all good - still having these intermittent gauge problems. Most of the time and can shut it off for a while, restart and it's OK for a while. Frustrating!
I get it TCS, my check engine light came on twice this last trip among a no-start issue but shut off when turned engine off and the restarted (this was before start issue obviously). Using every bit of knowledge and tips I can find to prepare for a trip this weekend, so subbed in.
Stonefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light